Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS/VTEC reliability

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2001, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS/VTEC reliability

I am considering going LS/VTEC in a few months and am concerned with the reliability. I have heard it will (with good install) be as reliable as a stock VTEC motor. I have also heard there are some issues with high revs and the LS rod ratio. I want the VTEC power, but I don't live at 7-8K rpm. Is the LS/VTEC (b16 head with b18b block) reliable for everyday use. Should I port and polish before install ? Should I get new pistons and rods? From a CTR or aftermarket ? Have you ever asked yourself why buying a GSR motor is like paying a kidnapping ransom.... these are the things I dream about at night.....

Thanks in advance !
Old 06-08-2001, 04:26 PM
New User

Default Re: LS/VTEC reliability (X2BOARD)

It is a good idea to get the bottom end rebuilt. I would use JDM ITR pistons and shot peen the stock LS rods. Since the motor will already be apart, I would have headwork done at the same time like port & polish, stronger springs, type R valves, ti retainers. If you choose to get cams, you can switch those out easily becaus the head does not have to be removed in order to install cams. Also I would get the motor balanced and blueprinted, this makes the weight of the pistons and crank all balanced so the motor will last longer and run better. All this costs money, but some things are better to have done at the same time since the motor is already out. A new clutch is a very good idea since the motor is out.
Old 06-08-2001, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/VTEC reliability (blueG2)

I am not on a limitless budget and I know all of these things would be great to do at the time of the install.... but I do not have tremendous $$ to spend. I have thought about changing pistons and possibly rods, I know shotpeening is $$.... If I stick with the factory rods I am not sure about the reliability. I do not want a 'racecar' just a bit more power for the street. Turbo is going for $4400 installed on the LS, I am trying to stay out of that $ region. I think i want to keep this car for 3-4 more years. What would be the top 3 mods to perform prior to this install to keep a strong, reliable engine (downtime is also an issue) ?
Old 06-09-2001, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: LS/VTEC reliability (X2BOARD)

just do a complete swap, or keep it stock. I wish I did.
Old 06-11-2001, 11:52 AM
New User

Default Re: LS/VTEC reliability (quikrpm1)

I had no cash whan I did my swap, I just took out a loan for $3500. Your motor will preform better and by more reliable if you get the bottom end rebuilt. I left the head alone when I did my swap because I figured that I would be happy with what I got for a while and when I was hurting for more power later down the road I would get head work. Shotpeening the rods was $100 for all 4 rods, pistons are $360, ballancing was like $250, having the pistons pressed on to the rods was $100 they have to machine the rods to make the pistons fit, trannies are about $300, all the little things are what add up though too, VTEC oil pump like $100, good idea to replace the timing belt , water pump and new head gasket too. Labor price depends on who does it. It all adds up, so it can get expensive. My build was way less than the price of the turbo and instalation you were quoted and it is reliable. B16a swaps are cheaper in most places, but you don't get as much power, they can be more reliable unless the previous owner raced it hard( you never know, because so many motors come to the US from Japan because of the 30k mile rule, I would be pist if I were them and drive my car hard every day if I knew I would have to change it at 30k miles). One thing I have found to be true is that the more you do to your car, the more things squeek, the more stuff breaks, and more stuff doesn't fit the same.