Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls vtec build up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls vtec build up?

Ok im in the need of a swap, since i have a d16y7 with nearly 250,000 miles.I want something with decent torque, just wanting some opinions on purchasing a b18b then building it up.. Iv been told about ls vtec's, but not completely convinced they are worth putting a vtec head on or just get a complete gsr changover. What kind of numbers does a b18b with lets say a gsr head ported and polished put out?

Speak freely.. Need some INFO.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ls vtec build up? (kev tec96)

if you plan on swapping for a b18b, and wondering whether to get a vtec head or not, you should think of whether you want all motor or turbo?

for all motor, you should put the vtec head on, it's cheaper to get a b16a1 head but a gsr head is always better only because of it's cams! however, you'll end up upgrading the cam anyways....so all motor, go ls/vtec...don't believe the myth about it blowing up! it's not the engine, it's the driver's/engine builder fault! i have friends blowing up GSR and B16s with less mileage than my 100k+ mile ls/vtec motor.

but if you go turbo, you should not put a vtec head, it's better to keep it just an ls motor! good stock compression ratio for boost, as well as somewhat more torque with an ls/vtec because i believe a vtec head changes the displacement a bit on the b18a/b, because i've driven my car with ls then i go on ls/vtec i felt it has a bit less torque...you'll need all the torque you can while your turbo spools!! you can always go b20 too! Also, since you have a nonvtec dx, it's better to keep in nonvtec, less hassle with the wirings!

i would recommend all motor over turbo it's just so cool when the vtec kicks in! the sound of an all motor honda engine and seeing one smoking turbos , v6s, and v8s is just beautiful -- as for numbers? all motor can go up to 200whp+ all the power is instant!!