Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lots of h22 problems??

Old 05-22-2005, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lots of h22 problems??

So i have a 96 ek civic cx with a 97 usdm h22a4 in it. it has 360cc injectors on an aem fuel rail with a fpr. the ecu is a p28 with an obd2-obd1 conversion harness. it also is running a vafc right now with about a 18-10% lean. the ecu is chipped with a p13 program .anyways i am having some real problems with the car...
first of all i really dont have anywhere near the power i should, especially after 6krpm.
-the idle sometimes bogs down to 500 and then jumps back up, this can cause the car to turn off completely. even when im driving i'll suddenly jump because of this, it feels similar to quickly pressing the clutch while driving.
-other times the idle will suddenly jump to 1500-1700 and stay there and when that happens i suddenly feel like i have maybe 10hp. even with the clutch in, the car wont rev fast at all, and there is virtually no power at any rpm in any gear.
-the engine is obd2 and the ecu is obd1 so do i need an obd1 distributor?
-dont i need some kind of resistor box for the injectors, or is that just the ignition?
-There is a constant engine check light with i have gone to have checked but the machine at the shop couldnt recognize it?
-i have replaced the map sensor and cleaned the iacv.

---anyways these problems are making the car nearly undriveable and are very frustrating. could any of this be a wiring problem? any help or ideas would be greatly appriciated, thanks.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: lots of h22 problems?? (integravtec96)

the idle problem could be related to the iacv or fast idle valve. For that check out this http://www.ef-honda.com/ben/Badidle.php

I would recommend an obd1 distributor. My car had some error codes, though it did run ok.

You'll need a resistor box if the injectors you are low impedance. The h22a4 orginally comes with saturated injectors which are high impedance. If you don't know you can check the resistance of the injector with a multimeter. I think low impedance is around ~3ohm, but do a search to make sure.

Jump the service connector under the passenger side of the dash. See what the error code is that is popping up. That may shed some light on some of the problems you are having