Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K20a into DC2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K20a into DC2 questions

HI, Im from the UK,

im about to undertake a k20a UKDM EP3 swap into a DC2 shell i have lying around.

Ive searched on here and looked at companies like hybrid racing and hasport at the custom mount kits and axles available for them.

If i buy the hasport mounts, will they bolt straight into my chassis on existing mounting points?

If I use the custom hybrid racing or hasport axles, which hubs do i use? Do i use the EP hubs or my standard dc2 hubs?

Also, on the hybrid racing website, it says i need a charging harness? Maybe its called something else in the UK but i dont quite understand what this is?

The same website also says i need a b or d series fan switch and ECTS (Engine coolant temp sensor). I dont understand why this is especially if im using an OEM EP3 ECU? Similarly, why is there a requirement for a custom fuel rail if using standard EP management?

Is there anyone here that has done such a full swap out who wold know what is required. Basically im starting out with a bare dc2 shell. No engine, ECu no nothing apart from brakes, suspension and wheels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i dont think anyone has done this in the UK!

Many thanks

NAv
Old 04-05-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Re: K20a into DC2 questions (Navigator2012)

Another guy from the UK!! By harness I think the yanks mean the ECU loom.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:27 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: K20a into DC2 questions (Navigator2012)

ok, the charging harness is the part of the main engine harness that goes to the battery. You just have to extend a normal one so it reaches the battery.. that is easy

Both the hasport and hybrid racing mounts, are pretty much bolt on apart from one side... The mount that supports the b series tranny, needs to be removed...

as far as the axles.... you can use the axles that are sold with the mounts, or you can make your own by combining your dc2 axles with ep3 axles...

yes, the K series/ep3 temp sensor will not work. ALthough it can be read by the ecu... your cluster will not read it, so you need to use a b series one with a reducer do it will fit...

There are a lot od details about this swap... Apart from people I help to do this in the USA, I have also helped a few people in Australia and New zealand... When buying parts from the USA, shipping weight is going to cost you and depending on your laws, maybe customs/import taxes as well...

generally to do this, you will need

mounts, axles, a motor with all sensort good, tranny, tranny cables, shifter, a complete engine harness, a header, a ep3 idler pulley etc... Too much to cover. I have my own website that specialized on this swap. Check it out to learn more about the potential of the K.

good luck, any question you have I will be glad to help here or there or in between
Old 04-05-2005, 08:32 AM

You can also give us a call or send an email and i can walk you thru any remaining questions.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:31 AM

Default thanks

Thanks for the replies!

Nikos, you said that the mounts are bolt on apart from the one for the b-series tranny. what needs to be done to that? Is it simply removed to accomodate the engine?

Also, in those pictures, that engine sits fartoo overto the driver side (in the UK ). why is this and if this is gonna be my race car, wil i have to make suspnsion mods to suit or does the transmission balance the weight?

Also, ive been readin about swaps, what is a LS/VTEC andwhat are its advantages?

thanks

NAv
Old 04-06-2005, 03:27 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, removed and in its place you put another mount.
Yes, the tranny balances the weight.

As far as Ls/vtec, that is basically in b series, trying to get the best of 2 worlds..

You use the head of a vtec motor, like the b16a2 or the b18c5 or the gsr head and mount it to a Ls block b18b (no vtec) that has better torque..

It is not a simple bolt on.. the head and block need to be drilled for oil passages or you can use a VTEC kit etc...

In kseries, we do the same thing with k24a blocks and k20a2.. The advantage we have is that nothing needs to be drilled. You can read more about it here

http://www.sportcompactcarweb....ybrid/

good luck,

nikos