Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K20 vs. H22

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K20 vs. H22

I was searching and noticed there were no threads with an actual h22 and k20 comparison. Can anyone give me some insight into the pros and cons between the 2, i.e. weight differences, overall size, gas mileage, etc. I'm trying to get some info thinking of doing either or and wondering which would be better in the long run.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:22 PM

Default Re: K20 vs. H22 (SwissChEz82)

tipe-R is better
Old 11-28-2004, 05:15 PM

Default Re: K20 vs. H22 (DOHC_VTECH)

what a newbie someone tell him to go to best buy VtecH NO H BIOTCH OR HYPHEN NEWB K20 ALL THE WAY
Old 11-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: K20 vs. H22 (SOHCZCHatch)

I would go with the K20!!! no need to mess with the internals to get great power!!! Bolt ons!
Old 11-28-2004, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeez man. Did you even browse the topics on the current page of this forum before starting this thread?

Old 11-29-2004, 03:13 PM

Default Re: (Jonathan_ED3)

http://www.hybrid-racing.com/articles.html

check out this article, not a direct comparison, but lots of K-series info, and there will be an update in about a week with lots of new info as well.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K20 vs. H22 (SOHCZCHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHCZCHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what a newbie someone tell him to go to best buy VtecH NO H BIOTCH OR HYPHEN NEWB K20 ALL THE WAY</TD></TR></TABLE>

First I'd like to say, "what?"

Then I'd like to know if anyone actually read the question.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SwissChEz82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was searching and noticed there were no threads with an actual h22 and k20 comparison. Can anyone give me some insight into the pros and cons between the 2, i.e. weight differences, overall size, gas mileage, etc. I'm trying to get some info thinking of doing either or and wondering which would be better in the long run.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But thanks for the input, minus this:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOHC_VTECH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tipe-R is better</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-29-2004, 05:29 PM

First off; people need to stop being dicks, even though its natural for most of u. The guy is asking a simple question..

K20 cons are easy= PRICE, other than that its a bad *** motor. 6-Speed

H22 has great power and potential and VERY affordable. Cons, not the best for boost in stock form but when built is a great set-up!

All comes down to the $$$$$$$$$. Good luck!
I vote H22.....
Old 11-29-2004, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SwissChEz82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was searching and noticed there were no threads with an actual h22 and k20 comparison. Can anyone give me some insight into the pros and cons between the 2, i.e. weight differences, overall size, gas mileage, etc. I'm trying to get some info thinking of doing either or and wondering which would be better in the long run.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if money is an issue, go for H22, otherwise k20 is better. how much are you looking to spend.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:08 AM

Default Re: K20 vs. H22 (lakerschamp2000)

I was driving a friends k24/20 Civic when a guy I know in a 93dx h22 pulled up (very quickly) behind me getting on the freeway. To make a long story short I left him SO fast that he probably didn't even see me waving "BYE" to him.

DId he think his h22 could beat the k24 swap...yes, does he still think that? I think hes so pissed off at his new $6500.00 dollar swap that he hasnt stopped by the shop since.

Money is a BIG issue here for sure, but if your going to build the h22 (eventually) why not just start off with the k swap. In the end youll have a six speed and LoadS of power.

Best of luck to you.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:09 AM
DFW
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K20 vs. H22 (RangerDan)

all comes down to how much you want to spend

i vote h22

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=965451
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=861218
Old 11-30-2004, 04:21 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: K20 vs. H22 (DFW)

I agree money is important. Go H22a to have a fast car. Go K to have a faster car and with more potential for power.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K20 vs. H22 (Nikos)

this seems to be a bit biased. so i'll through in my 2 cents.

my h22 swap cost about $3500 once everything was all said and done.

I would love to go K20, but i just can't justify spending $5000 on a motor, $400 for shafts, $7-800 for mounts, and all the extra stuff you need. When all is said and done, I'm sure that it works out to be over $7000 US for this swap.

$7000 for a 220 hp motor with a 6 speed? Im sure that for the extra $3500 ++ i could squeeze an extra 20 or so HP out of an H22.

Its funny how everyone jumps on the bandwagon and ***** on H22 swaps. If you have had one and didn't like it, and upgraded to K20... all the power to you, but I have found that most people have not had H22, so they are drawing comparisons with hearsay information and not on experience.

anyways. H22 all the way
Old 11-30-2004, 06:59 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: K20 vs. H22 (B16B)

Some of these numbers are incorrect but you do get the big picture. The k swap is expensive. The K starts where the moded h22a ends. (stock motor with bolt ons I mean) With that extra $3000, you can add some good power to the h22a, no doub about that.. More than 20hp in N/A. But once your are there, you are pretty much stuck unless you go inside the engine.

Some people don't care about the maximum HP they can get out of their motor and that is fine. Maybe people do their K swaps to get laid more... lol Who cares..

The point is that the K is newer technology and that is why it is better. All fast cars are fun. To each his own and his pocket.

k20a2 type s are powerfull as wel. they go for $3500
Old 11-30-2004, 11:10 AM

I agree with Nikos, Do the K-series swap, you'll get laid more.... Trust me... and if you have a GF she'll be beating the skanks off with an intake pipe...

But on serious note.. As the owner-driver of one of the fastest STOCK K20A's I beleive it is better for alot of reasons...
Reliable 220+whp easily
The k20's weight saving over the H22 is huge
The future developement is my biggest reason for the K-series... You could spend 10-20K on building a 300whp H or B-series motor and thats what you will always have, when you rebuild again for 10-20k it will still be a 300whp H or B...
But the K-series for 10K you can get close to 250whp with bolt ons... You rebuild it in a year or 2 when parts are more available and more developed and for you 10-20K you might get closer to 400whp.. AND IT WILL HAPPEN...

H-series is the past-- K-series is the future...
Old 11-30-2004, 12:41 PM

Default Re: K20 vs. H22 (Hondog)

Everyone had a lot of good insights.

The K series technology wise and everything is overall FAR better than the H. It's lighter, more power, more potential, 6 speeds, etc...

H series is good ol' power and good price.

Old 11-30-2004, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K20 vs. H22

Now that's the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks a lot. Although I do like the K series, especially after seeing that video off of hybrid-racing.com, I think I will be going with the H22 simply because it's cheaper and good solid horsepower. Everybody is talking about the weight difference, I thought they were pretty much even. What exactly is the weight difference anyway?
Old 11-30-2004, 03:26 PM

I think a K20A weighs in about the same as a B16 or B18 I cant remember which so abit lighter than the ol boat anchor(h22)
Old 11-30-2004, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The added weight of the h22 is grossly overstated. When its in the car, its not as bad as people make it out to be. With the money you save by going H22, spend it wisely on some suspension. Type-R front and rear sway bars helped out a lot and a decent adjustable shock with a good rate lowering spring and you are laughing. I would go K20a if i had a **** of cash, but i built this as a fun weekend car on a sorta budget. Im totally happy with the raw power. Mad torque

On a side note, if you do go h22, you can always swap over to a k20A down the road when there is more aftermarket support. You have to hack off the passenger side mount bracket with both swaps, you have to run cable trannies with both swaps. Personally, I'm gonna wait until the hype dies down before I consider doing a K20a swap.

I'm not saying that this motor with perform better then that motor or anything along those lines, just indicating that if you are on a budget, k20 is jsut too expensive for what you are actually getting.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:43 PM

a Drag EG with a K20A with ITB's but hey a picture is worth a thousand words...
Old 12-01-2004, 08:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hondog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree with Nikos, Do the K-series swap, you'll get laid more.... Trust me... </TD></TR></TABLE>

ROTFLMAO
Old 12-01-2004, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The K20 gurus have spoken!! But seriously the K is the way to go!!!! I drove a EG with K20 I/h/e and hondata reflash!!! Seriously quick.. almost as fun as my 510~~
Old 12-01-2004, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well at one time i was all about the K, until i looked at price and started doing some research. The H series has alot of potential at a lower price. With the money saved over a k swap you could have a streetable h22 that would walk all over a K20. I mean i ve seen the dynos of k20s puttin down VERY respectable numbers but you have to understand that all the research and information we have learned from tuning b series engines has went into the development of the K parts. Anybody notice that the majority of k header resemble a hybrid 4-2-1? The only one off header dyno i ve seen is SMSP and it was easily comparable to any K i have seen. Plus the Vtc loses its edge wants you go with a huge cam, your just back to high flow vtec head. The h22 was originally designated to go into the nsx so its a well designed highly potent engine. The f20b a destroked version of an h22 with b series sized valves in which the F20c was based on. Granted the h22 has its downsides like weight and the complications of the swap. But the weight thing i believe if i read correctly in an older thread was exagerated quite a bit. The K weighed a few more pounds than a B and an H even more. But to cut down on some of the weight i personally would be running an adapter plate for a B16 tranny to cut down on weight and the complications of the swap. I dunno maybe i overanalyze things to much but this is just some personal opinions. The k20 is a freakin awesome engine and would be a great swap with a nice six speed, but i think there are other possibilities that could lead to the same or greater results.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K20 vs. H22 (civdx94)

No doubt the K is leading us into the future and one day hopefully we can all afford one. Call me what you will but I guess you can't acuse me of jumping on the band wagon. I can think of a lot of different motor combonations that will wipe the floor with your K swaps. That is money for money.. part for part the K is supreme but the K motor and parts are far more expensive. Don't even waste your time arguing this point it's about as logical as comparing a 911 to a Mustang GT. For some people money isn't an object for the other 89% of us money does matter. So until the swap is cost effective we will continue to make our dollars count, even if we can't say we have a K under the hood.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K20 vs. H22 (civdx94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civdx94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well at one time i was all about the K, until i looked at price and started doing some research. The H series has alot of potential at a lower price. With the money saved over a k swap you could have a streetable h22 that would walk all over a K20. I mean i ve seen the dynos of k20s puttin down VERY respectable numbers but you have to understand that all the research and information we have learned from tuning b series engines has went into the development of the K parts. Anybody notice that the majority of k header resemble a hybrid 4-2-1? The only one off header dyno i ve seen is SMSP and it was easily comparable to any K i have seen. Plus the Vtc loses its edge wants you go with a huge cam, your just back to high flow vtec head. The h22 was originally designated to go into the nsx so its a well designed highly potent engine. The f20b a destroked version of an h22 with b series sized valves in which the F20c was based on. Granted the h22 has its downsides like weight and the complications of the swap. But the weight thing i believe if i read correctly in an older thread was exagerated quite a bit. The K weighed a few more pounds than a B and an H even more. But to cut down on some of the weight i personally would be running an adapter plate for a B16 tranny to cut down on weight and the complications of the swap. I dunno maybe i overanalyze things to much but this is just some personal opinions. The k20 is a freakin awesome engine and would be a great swap with a nice six speed, but i think there are other possibilities that could lead to the same or greater results.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well from what i have seen with a h22 the strongest running motors with just I/h/e and tuning VIA hondata pull 200whp even. On a k20a2 swap(type-S) a Not even that strong motor with a decent header like SMSP's(Who hasnt releeased any plans that i know of to make a k20 header yet, still waiting LOL, but dtr for example) mated to an intake and a matching exhaut to go with the header tuned on hondata or just even reflashed have seen to easily make at the 200 mark. Sure the h22 compares to a type S, but now lets talk about the k20R motor, that with just i/h/e tuned on K-Pro from what i have seen have made 215-230whp. This is without any internal work. I have yet to see a h22 motor match a k20 though mod for mod(minus corey's). Its a dyning breed as k20 is the future with ivtec a giant factor. But i still have respect for h22s.

Quick Reply: K20 vs. H22