Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K20 in 5th generation prelude??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K20 in 5th generation prelude??

Let me start out by saying I appreciate to everyone who has helped me thus far in answering my questions since I am new to the Honda scene. Anyway, I was looking into a future build of an all motor prelude making at least 270whp on pump gas, not race. I've seen a K20 do it on pump gas, but not an H22. If I want those numbers, would the K20 be the better motor to go with??
Old 10-27-2006, 03:40 PM

Default Re: K20 in 5th generation prelude?? (DjBij099)

K24a2 bottom end with a k20a/a2/z head. You'll need atleast a stroked bottom end maybe an 86mm bottom end, then max port and polished head with some stage 3 cams, super high lift valve train, and a god on a dyno/street tune. But it's possible. I'm shooting for 300whp when I get mine done
Old 10-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Shooting Star

k24 bottom end
12.5:1 cr pistons/might as well get some rods.
k20a2 head with IPS KME cams.
RBC manifold
ssr header
k pro
full 3" exh
Old 10-29-2006, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vtecspeed1320)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecspeed1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">k24 bottom end
12.5:1 cr pistons/might as well get some rods.
k20a2 head with IPS KME cams.
RBC manifold
ssr header
k pro
full 3" exh
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Jeez Dennis that sounds like the setup im planning on.You damn physic
Old 10-29-2006, 06:29 PM
Shooting Star

Default Re: (H23aEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H23aEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Jeez Dennis that sounds like the setup im planning on.You damn physic</TD></TR></TABLE> yess sir...the best money is gonna buy right there....once you go K you will never go back haha.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is your stock engine blown or otherwise damanged? I'm just curious why you want to go through the hassle of swapping in a K, when you already have the H22 there. Build that for the cost of the swap.....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H23aEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You damn physic</TD></TR></TABLE>

*psychic
Old 10-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Shooting Star

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chem Geek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is your stock engine blown or otherwise damanged? I'm just curious why you want to go through the hassle of swapping in a K, when you already have the H22 there. Build that for the cost of the swap.....

*psychic</TD></TR></TABLE> I didnt know they made mounts for a k into a prelude either, but its his question...and didnt do anything but answer it.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecspeed1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I didnt know they made mounts for a k into a prelude either, but its his question...and didnt do anything but answer it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, I don't think they do make mounts for that. I wasn't saying your answer was wrong, as that looks like a killer K build up, but I mean, if he's already got the H, and can't mount the K without serious custom fabbing, seems like an easy answer to me, H!

Although once I get my daily driver (EH2 w/ H22) finished, it begs the question, is an all motor K swap better, or a built turbo D better?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chem Geek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chem Geek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is your stock engine blown or otherwise damanged? I'm just curious why you want to go through the hassle of swapping in a K, when you already have the H22 there. Build that for the cost of the swap.....

*psychic</TD></TR></TABLE>

No no my engine is not damaged or anything like that. It has 100K miles on it. Plus, I know I could build the motor, but there just really isn't a vast array of parts out there for the H motor. I know there's a lot, but the K series has a shitload more parts out there. Plus I like i-VTEC more. Also, doesn't the K weight less than the H??
Old 10-30-2006, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (DjBij099)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DjBij099 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> but there just really isn't a vast array of parts out there for the H motor. </TD></TR></TABLE>
i think u are wrong on this one... what aftermarket part is available for a K that isnt available for an H?

the H might not have alot of aftermarket support when compared to a B, but compared to the K i think it has plenty of aftermarket support..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DjBij099 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
doesn't the K weight less than the H??</TD></TR></TABLE>
this however, is true.

there is a thread around here somewhere.. probably in all motor, where they have used OEM parts and built an h23 vtec (i believe) that is making upwards near 300whp. i would search it but im to lazy right now..
Old 10-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: K20 in 5th generation prelude?? (DjBij099)

as far as putting a K into a prelude. i've never seen it done yet... and i dont think it has been done yet... im not saying its not possible.. but unless you are good at fabricating yourself... good luck getting someone to make mounts for that... then u need to get some custom axles...

alot of research will have to go into this one if it were to happen..
Old 10-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DjBij099 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No no my engine is not damaged or anything like that. It has 100K miles on it. Plus, I know I could build the motor, but there just really isn't a vast array of parts out there for the H motor. I know there's a lot, but the K series has a shitload more parts out there. Plus I like i-VTEC more. Also, doesn't the K weight less than the H??</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess my point was, while the K is a great engine, it's not that much better than the H. The H is at least 90% as capable as the K is. You already have a proven platform based on the H, why do you want to spend like $6k just to swap a motor that won't even make more power stock? I mean, unless you're very well to do and just want to have a K, it just doesn't make a lot of sense. Like other have said the H has plenty of support in the aftermarket and there are a couple in the 280-300whp range (NA). K is definately lighter though....

My vote would be to get a killer H build, for less than the cost of the swap. If you have to swap, you'll need all the normal stuff, custom mounts, custom axles and a deep deep wallet. It's entirely possible, but you'll probably be the first!
Old 10-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There has been a 5th gen with a k20 in it but it was wrecked(haha stick with the H bitch!) search on preludepower for the pics.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chem Geek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I guess my point was, while the K is a great engine, it's not that much better than the H. The H is at least 90% as capable as the K is. You already have a proven platform based on the H, why do you want to spend like $6k just to swap a motor that won't even make more power stock? I mean, unless you're very well to do and just want to have a K, it just doesn't make a lot of sense. Like other have said the H has plenty of support in the aftermarket and there are a couple in the 280-300whp range (NA). K is definately lighter though....

My vote would be to get a killer H build, for less than the cost of the swap. If you have to swap, you'll need all the normal stuff, custom mounts, custom axles and a deep deep wallet. It's entirely possible, but you'll probably be the first!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks everyone. I think I found what I was looking for.

Time to start saving
Old 10-30-2006, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hell ya, an H24 or 27 PocketRocketsRacing