Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jdm B20 bad right off the truck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jdm B20 bad right off the truck?

Hello, long time follower recent poster, if placed in the wrong area please move. no need to be rude. i am a fairly season backyard mechanic with many swaps under the belt.

to the story, I have just bought a 99-01 jdm hc b20 from a business i won't disclose yet, but right after installation the motor ran great for about 5 minutes, then started smoking real bad and missing. i have yet to do a compression test or leak down test due to rain, but yesterday I did replace common problem items with known good ones like spark plug tube seals ect. upon pulling plugs they were completely fouled with oil, literally dripping, and all the combustion chambers are filled with oil. is it possible that i have recieved a defective motor, or what is the likely hood of stuck piston rings? I believe it is rings as it smokes at all time and it's blue smoke so it's burning oil. cleaned out all the cylinders and put in new plugs and lasted about another 5 minutes before everything was soaked again, I feel stuck control rings but until it stops raining I will not be able to test. some direction on the steps I should take next would be highly appreciated. I have already contacted the company.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Re: Jdm B20 bad right off the truck?

Get a refund on the engine, whatever is wrong is something catastrophic. Start documenting what you've done now and collecting pictures.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for the reply. I have documented the whole swap from start to finish with pictures, and in the extreme case they will not refund or exchange I narrowed it down to valve seals, rings or head gasket. like I sated just waiting on the tools to verify it.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

completed a leak down test. 10-60 % loss in the cylinders. coming out of intake and exhaust. so I replaced valve seals because I had them and it was free. now that I am done that did not fix the problem. hooked tester up again and now it's coming from adjacent cylinders... sooo head gasket?
Old 10-20-2017, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Warhead955
completed a leak down test. 10-60 % loss in the cylinders. coming out of intake and exhaust. so I replaced valve seals because I had them and it was free. now that I am done that did not fix the problem. hooked tester up again and now it's coming from adjacent cylinders... sooo head gasket?
Most likely head gasket breech. JDM or otherwise when it comes to an engine swap be it stock to stock or stock to mofidied it's best to replace the head gasket, timing belt, waterpump, thermostat, intake gasket, crank and camseal before installing.