Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J-series in a BB6 (prelude)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J-series in a BB6 (prelude)

Hey guys, im making this thread to help and get help from anyone who is doing or wanting to do the swap (jseries in a prelude)...

1999 prelude
j35a8 (2008 tl-s)
6spd tranny
custom innovative mounts
s2000 mishimoto rad
aem ems

^ these are the parts in dealing with at the moment...

I started the swap last night, so far I pulled out the h22a4, removed all the unnecessary stuff (evap canister, rad, power steering ect).

using the innovative mounts I easily dropped in the j motor and trans assembly. Mounts bolt up in stock locations as factory h series mounts use to.

I had issues with clearance between the front cross member on the prelude, (innovative makes a specific one for the swap) but the stock cross member can be easily notched and reinforced. (I will specify once pictures go up).

other then that everything else dropped in nicely, the owner of the car wants to turbo charge the motor once we know it runs and drives fine, so I'm doing the j series intake manifold reverse, basically flipping the plenum to make the throttle body sit on the passenger side on the car ( right side). This allows more room for the turbo setup, also helps with the length of piping And heat transfer, the intake won't be near the exhaust housing of the turbo ( if you've seen a j series top mounted turbo, you'll know what I mean).
the swap was easy, take off all the 10mm bolts from the plenum, then the inside 12s. Remove the plenum and unbolt the runners, after that its a matter of spinning everything over and it all fits. ( no power steering pump of course)... Also the plenum hits the pcv outlet fitting on top of the front bank cam cover, so that needed to be bent down 1/2 inch... You are now left with a EGR hole that needs to be plugged, I'm not sure if anyone makes one. I'll post up if I find one, if not its a very easy block off to make. I will post specs and sizes if I make one.

driveshafts... I was worried that I would need custom driveshafts for the swap. Turns out the OEM (stock) passenger shaft from the TL fit perfectly. I have not tried the driver side, I will update on that soon.

thank you. Will keep updating daily if I make good progress... Photos will be posted up shortly, if there are any specific items or angles you want me to photograph please comment or email mikaelyousif@live.ca
Old 02-28-2014, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: J-series in a BB6 (prelude)

Looking forward to pictures!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely in for pics.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ill post em up tonight. Just cleaning my shop a little
Old 03-05-2014, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

motor is in, TONS of room to do work and maintenance... all the photos are scrambled on my phone so ill organize when i have time.

passenger side mount

rear mount

More pics coming soon
Old 03-05-2014, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lots of room freed up due to the manifold flip… (turbo fits perfect in that space)
driver side mount.

the stock crossmember makes contact with the clutch slave cylinder and the ac compressor bracket… which is also the alternator bracket. it can be trimmed to fit, i will post a picture later on marked with the cut lines… innovative offers a custom cross member priced around $350 that bolts up with no issues ( also gives you an option of running a front engine mount)

so doing the reverse manifold the EGR port is now exposed. the actual EGR block off plate can be purchased from P2R or Password jdm for around 20$… but the small port that runs through the head and into the runners, i have not found a company that makes one yet… so i will custom make one and give you guys the dimensions later on in the build.

thats the port there on the left… gasket is already there so no need to make one, just a simple block off plate, yes you can weld it shut etc. but there are holes already tapped, so a 1/4 inch aluminum plate would do just fine closing that up

i should of posted this earlier, but photos are all scrambled… the intake runners simply flip and drop in place, no mods needed. ( keep in mind, the fuel lines now are on the opposite side )

that small nipple for the crank case vent had to be bent down about a 1/4 inch to clear the plenum. lightly tap it with a mallet and it should move down.

thats the sad H22A4 that came out… you dont need anything from that motor.(i just posted it for size reference, its actually bigger than the “J”).

and thats the fitment of the plenum after the nipple has been bent down… the throttle body clears the mount just right, (obviously you have to sacrifice power steering)

i will post up pics as i go further with the swap… AEM EMS2 came in, so its wiring time.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you flip the upper part of the manifold only and leave the lower alone lol
Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unique!

ESP Traction Bar System! clearances solved.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:13 AM
Trial User

When I get another Prelude this is what I want to do! Thank you for sharing what your doing. Looking forward for updates!!
Old 04-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool build ive never seen this
Old 04-16-2014, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If the prelude lasted another 2-3 years and Honda management wasn't such a bunch of weenies, I'm sure you'd have seen the TSX AWD K24 drivetrain in a Prelude.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! What a cool project...looks like you might even be able to close your hood

Do you know if these mounts will also work in a 92-96 Prelude?
Old 04-21-2014, 02:12 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

S/c woulda been better, unless you're planning on rebuilding the trans it'l wreck the syncros beyond 400hp.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:52 AM
Trial User

Is there a way not to sacrifice Power Steering?
Awesome progress thus far, can't wait to see more!
I've been dying to try this ever since my buddy swapped the tl-s motor in his 99 accord