Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance and engine swaps

Old 07-31-2003, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Insurance and engine swaps

Just wanting to find out what happened to your insurance after you did your engine swap. My dad is hounding me about it, and my insurance company is closed for the day.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Insurance and engine swaps (SuperStreetRX7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperStreetRX7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just wanting to find out what happened to your insurance after you did your engine swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They still don't know....
Old 07-31-2003, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Insurance and engine swaps (VTECVillain)

My dad is a play by the rules kinda guy so they have to know...
Old 07-31-2003, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called my insurance and asked them.
They said if the car was mofied in any way shape or form for speed, lowerd, etc. they would A.) not cover it if it was in an accident b.) drop me

by the way the company is Nationwide Insurance
So im looking for a mod friendly company
Old 07-31-2003, 03:17 PM

Shhhhhhhh. Need to know basis. As far as they know and vehicle inspection go, it's still a 4 cylinder.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Insurance and engine swaps (Hondasaurs)

insurance on a modded car is ****** ridiculous!!!!!!!!
don't even bother!
-Bryan-
Old 07-31-2003, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DO NOT TELL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY

one of my friends was DROPPED from his policy because they dont cover anything aftermarket on the car, some gay insurance company that ive never heard of, but do NOT tell them

at the very least your rates will double because you are now grouped with street racers, reckless drivers and greater thieft risk's.

as long as you show a reciept and proof of install (pictures) most insurance companies will reimburse you about 50% of the swap price if something happens.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Insurance and engine swaps (Kamin)

I called my agency today (State Farm). All I have to do is tell them what I've done to it and my rates will stay the same as if it were stock. If something happens, I show them the receipts of the parts.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are lucky then. some companies its a big hassle, some its not.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:12 PM
New User

Default Re: Insurance and engine swaps (Kamin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as long as you show a reciept and proof of install (pictures) most insurance companies will reimburse you about 50% of the swap price if something happens.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha.. not from my experience! i hassled with allstate for several months trying to get reimbursed for my stolen parts and in the end i really didn't get much at all despite the fact that i had receipts and pictures of everything.. if the car is considered totaled (ie. a motor stolen out of a $5000 honda will be considered totaled in most cases.. mine was) then they'll give you blue book for the car itself (in stock form) and if you're lucky you'll get a little extra for some of the mods, but i wouldn't count on anywhere close to 50% back.. especially if you never told them about the modifications initially..

bottom line, if you want to have your modifications covered (without worry) talk to your agent about supplemental coverage if "you were to modify your car".. don't tell them about the mods quite yet as some smaller companies will drop you just like kamin said.. but if you're with one of the larger companies they'll generally be happy to help you out with additional coverage.. hey, it's more money for them, right? and whether they'll automatically group you with "street racers and reckless drivers" or not really depends on you (whether you look the part or not) and your particular agent.. if they're harrassing you about what you want to do and want covered on your car just switch agents (or companies if need be).. some agents are very open to modifications while others would never hear of it..

but if they approve the additional coverage you need to sit down with them and show them receipts and pictures and figure out how much additional coverage you would like.. you can pretty much set up whatever amount you like (within reason, $500-$5000 isn't uncommon for some) on top of your current coverage.. of course you're monthly/yearly premiums are going to increase because of the extra 'value' of the car, but that's expected.. trust me tho, if the day comes that you ever need to claim, having that additional coverage can really save your ***..

or you can choose not to tell them about your mods and go on about your day.. but if the time comes when you need to make a claim and all of a sudden you've got $3000 extra in parts that you want covered don't be surprised if they tell you to f&#k off.. they'll give you the, "well that's money you invested in your car but it doesn't increase the resale value so we can't help you" line.. ugh.. it's funny how willing they are to take our money but once we need their help we get the shaft.. sheesh..
Old 08-01-2003, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Everyone here might want to read this guys story, it surprised me as my insurance is state farm and they basically told me I can do what I want as long as I keep my receipts they'll remimbuses me if anything happened. Insurance is just a legal scam anyways, it is to the point that alot of people are just going to say screw it and start driving without it!!
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:06 am Post subject: Modified Sunfire refused insurance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.torontostar.ca/NASA...83249

Insurance calls the shots

Modified Sunfire refused coverage

Are other tuner owners aware?

Dark days for the hot summer knights

Laurance Yap, July 5

I'm a 46-year-old IT professional with IBM and have always been a fan of cars. Not just imports or domestics or muscle cars or trucks, but all vehicles with four wheels (and even some with two). A year and a half ago, it was time to retire the minivan and I bought a base 2002 Pontiac Sunfire sedan.

It's basic transportation, but still fun to drive with a decent little four-cylinder engine and five-speed transmission. About six months after getting the car, I discovered http://www.j-body.org and found that there is a whole group of people out there modifying their Cavaliers and Sunfires. I bought a set of used lowering springs (40 mm) and installed them myself.

That little change to remove the 4x4 look of the car hooked me up with the local Durham Region J-Body owners and I got many ideas for other modifications to my car by attending the weekly Sunday meets at the AMC complex in Whitby. All were very low-budget and could be done in my driveway.

I entered the car in a couple of J-Body shows as well as ImportFest and The First Episode. I had a great time and my 19-year-old son also attends the shows with me.

Earlier this year, I talked with an owner of a Honda Civic who, like me, was insured with State Farm. He had recently had an accident and his Civic was totaled. When the adjuster examined his car, he was informed that since it was modified (that is, lowered) and State Farm had not been informed (as dictated in the policy), his vehicle would not be covered.

I contacted my agent right away and was requested to bring the car in for pictures. They checked the car over, took some pictures, and said "No problem. Thanks for letting us know." About three weeks later I received a registered letter from the State Farm underwriters informing me that they appreciated the opportunity to provide me with coverage in the past but would no longer be able to insure the car. I had three weeks to find another company to look after me.

I have been with them for more than 15 years and have a clean driving record, so I shouldn't be a risk — they just don't want to cover "modified" cars. I then started calling most of the companies in the phone book. As soon as you mention the lowering, they want nothing to do with you. I even had one company say that they would insure "customized" cars but not "modified."

Eventually, I asked State Farm if my insurance would be re-instated if I returned the suspension to stock. My agent checked with head office and they agreed, provided I took the car to an adjuster who would verify the condition of the car.
While the car was being inspected, I asked the reasoning behind not wanting the car lowered. Was it because this reduced the height of the bumpers and increased the risk of damage? No — it was because lowering the car makes it more aerodynamic and allows it to go faster. I asked about coil-over suspension so the stock height could be maintained and then lowered for shows. No — that suspension would probably be stiffer and allow improved performance. This argument would also seem to apply to new higher performance shocks and struts. I didn't bother discussing it any further.

My point is that many of the enthusiasts out there who have modified their cars may very well have voided their insurance without knowing it. The insurance industry may be able to accomplish what the police haven't been able to (yet) by making all these vehicles illegal to be on the street because they can't get coverage.

Ron Shortt, Whitby
Old 08-01-2003, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Insurance and engine swaps (DraginX)

lets say u swap out ur old blown cx motor for a gsr can you get full insurance inculding ur gsr cause if ur cars get stolen, imsure u dont want a cx motor u want another gsr? how can u do that?
Old 08-02-2003, 12:22 PM
New User

Default Re: Insurance and engine swaps (wm5holla)

just like i said before, discuss it with your insurance company so you know exactly what to expect if you ever make a claim on it.. think about it, you're paying premiums for a car that books around $3000-$4000.. they're not going to give you book value for the car plus another $3500 for the motor you just dropped if you've only been paying insurance for the value of the car in stock form.. but if you can find a company that will cover it lemme know and i'll be the first in line!