Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

im tryin to bar my usdm gsr swap in California

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: im tryin to bar my usdm gsr swap in California

Not meaning to thread jack, but is it all the same towards an EF chassis?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wat exactly is "BAR'D" mean. I noticed it is emmisions but what happens if you car is "BAR'D"?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it means that your engine swap is legalized by the Bureau of Automotive Repair to smog at any station
Old 02-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ yes. Usually it means you spent a month or so getting your engine temporarily in inspection order just to appease the state then you tear it all off when you're done
Old 02-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sho_shane
Living in cali must SUCK *****!!!

Where I live there is no BAR no smog at all.
not really we got beatiful women, nice beaches, we get the dope car meets such as eibach and chronicles, alot of car parts companies and distributors are local so we dont have to pay extra for shipping. so its actually pretty amazing.
just gotta bar your car or have a car that comes with a stock b-series motor and your good no worries. i have a b-series in my ek and i dont get hassled or pulled over
Old 02-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh yeah and JC i heard you were able to bar it finish up this thread and tell everyone what happened when you went and what city ref you went to.
im going to try to bar my car soon.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: im tryin to bar my usdm gsr swap in California

Originally Posted by TwoFaced
^ yes. Usually it means you spent a month or so getting your engine temporarily in inspection order just to appease the state then you tear it all off when you're done
So prety much make the swap run as it would "Stock"? Then build it afterwards since it is legal?
Old 02-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ that would be the best bet for now. KEEP IN MIND that you still need to pass emissions every once and again, so when you build, if it takes a little more money to keep things as close to legal as possible then do it...save parts you may need later down the road...I won't claim to know everything I live in FL so I've never had to go through it but I hear about the mess from my friends in cali allll the time.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by swindian1991
So prety much make the swap run as it would "Stock"? Then build it afterwards since it is legal?
It can get pretty tricky. Though you are supposed to have a motor that is from the same year as your car or newer you can run into emission issues as OBD2 motors have more emission components. For the most part there is a lot of "he said", "she said" when it comes to BAR for us. Every time I hear that "you can't do this" I hear another person say "my friend just did it".

CA is the best and f*ck the rest
Old 02-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyhow, JC (OP) BAR'd his EK with a B16a2 so the thread doesnt even matter anymore lol
Old 02-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by oneEg1Tc
so piping dont really matter as long as you got cat with o2 and stock exhaust right
I had 2.5inch piping and he never even mentioned it when I went for my inspection.. Just make it as stock as you possibly can.. No hanging wires, no aftermarket mods(even if theyre carb legal).. Youll be fine if everything is legit and you pass emissions.. You also need paper work on your motor to prove its legit!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn i forgot to close this thread , but im going to give you as much info as i can , this is how i passed BAR:

complete sctock B16a2 , original cams , header , harness ( no conv), Em1 charcol canister, pretty much just a stock motor . According to the referee most of the mistakes or the reason why they FAIL some people is usually for the wiring , for example cutting wires or using stock cx, dx wires they notice that. I had my ps plug hanging and he saw that but he knew what the wire was for so not really much of a deal. on the piping 2 1/4 was fine with catalytic of a Si, must be running both o2 sensors , on the o2 make sure you use the Si one for some reason my 02 sensor from the stock motor went bad after 3 days of the swap , i got two off 95ProjectEJ1 and that was fixed (thnks J ). on the exhaust i went with a Gsr axle back NOTE: don't take an aftermarket one since they smog the car there and if the exhaust is too loud they will make you come back !!! guy before me failed because of the exhaust , stock ECU and if you're running vtec make sure to run the wire to cabin as legit as possible, since he said "if we see a mickey mouse on the wiring, that tells us there's some more on the swap and we tell them to come back" . BTW no carb legal parts even tho they are carb legal , you must take the OEM parts. The good thing about getting it BAR'D is not to worry on getting your hood popped and $8.00 smog check. They smog your car and you just pay for the BAR sticker $ 8.00 and smog is good for 90 days. For the BAR i went to LATTC.. here's some pics
Attached Images    
Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got my gsr bard in my ek in 2009. they dont do smog at the bar staions anymore. all they do there is inspect your car for the proper emissions equipment. pretty much just visual. so just make sure you have all the right stuff for your motor, also smog and street legal. make sure your not throwing check engine codes. they give you a sticker afterwards. you dont have to smog right away. you can wait till its time to go, youll be using that sticker for smog from there on.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good information
Old 02-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good info.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good info...
but there's still one more question...

Can you use a jumper harness? Like Rywire for instance..it's all plug and play of the finest quality.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:45 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cryingsuns
good info...
but there's still one more question...

Can you use a jumper harness? Like Rywire for instance..it's all plug and play of the finest quality.
Highest quality. Funny.

Originally Posted by NOOdS
all they do there is inspect your car for the proper emissions equipment. pretty much just visual. so just make sure you have all the right stuff for your motor

Did jumper harnesses come standard from Honda? Then I would say no, you can't use one and go get the correct ECU for your engine.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Normally I say thanks good info....lol..but in this case.

Rywire not of the highest quality? Do you make better stuff? lol.....
..and what experience do you have with getting your car Bar'd in Tennessee?
Oh, I mean Cali?
Old 04-23-2011, 08:09 AM
The Grumpiest

I have read this thread and others and what people FROM California are saying so it it pretty evident to me that your car and it's jumper harness more than likely will not pass a visual inspection. Other threads have also stated the exact same thing. So even though I don't live in Cali, I have read these threads and learned that if I were to say, move there, what I would have to do to make sure my car was able to pass insepction.

But you know. What I don't understand is why don't you get it straight from the horses mouth instead of posting up here? From what I also understand Cali's BAR standards seem to change like the wind and even from station to station and even the individual who actually inspects your car..

And I have no doubt Rywire is of the "highest quality" but what does that have to do with anything? As if a lesser quality harness, whatever you may deem that to be, will fail and the Rywire one will not? Quality of the harness has no bearing.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
I have read this thread and others and what people FROM California are saying so it it pretty evident to me that your car and it's jumper harness more than likely will not pass a visual inspection. Other threads have also stated the exact same thing. So even though I don't live in Cali, I have read these threads and learned that if I were to say, move there, what I would have to do to make sure my car was able to pass insepction.

But you know. What I don't understand is why don't you get it straight from the horses mouth instead of posting up here? From what I also understand Cali's BAR standards seem to change like the wind and even from station to station and even the individual who actually inspects your car..

And I have no doubt Rywire is of the "highest quality" but what does that have to do with anything? As if a lesser quality harness, whatever you may deem that to be, will fail and the Rywire one will not? Quality of the harness has no bearing.
Bro...if you read what he said, he talked about splicing and crap wiring, nothing about "jumper harness's". I dunno, so I'm asking if it's good or not, is that a crime? And you're right..it's up to the BAR REF on what they want to pass. I've went to the BAR REF and asked questions...the jumper harness question was one I forgot to ask. I'm human, so why not ask here instead of driving all the way back to the REF? Sounds practical to me. As for Rywire..the reason why I bought them up is because it's all plug and play stuff and clean, and if I'm not wrong, it's what the REF wants, clean wiring. The fine quality comment was more of a novelty then anything..instead of being productive you're asking me why I'm online asking questions and criticizing me, and all your knowledge is online from HT. You have NO real world experience with BAR'd but yet you talk down to me about what I should and shouldn't know, and why I don't go to the horse's mouth...lol
Old 04-23-2011, 08:28 AM
The Grumpiest

No problem. When you fail because of the harness come back and tell us.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sure..I will def..let you know, like I said I'm human. It's my first time trying BARD.
The REF told me out of the hundred's of cars he's done, only 3 cars
made it through the first time anyhow, so I'm up for the challenge.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What the hell is the point in the state doing all of this? Why do they find stuff to purposly fail you on? Do they get paid on how many cars they fail?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Fnix
What the hell is the point in the state doing all of this? Why do they find stuff to purposly fail you on? Do they get paid on how many cars they fail?

IMO it's pointless. But it's there so you have to work with it.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Trial User

Yeah,I wanna swap but all I hear are horror stories.I moved here last year from the north east and they dont care what you run under the hood out there. I never ran a single cam so long before and its driving me nuts!

Quick Reply: im tryin to bar my usdm gsr swap in California