Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me tear my motor down....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me tear my motor down....

I'm going to be picking up a LS longblock tommorow and i need help with taking it apart... i plan on getting an engine stand and rebuilding the motor. this is going to be my first build, so i have no idea where to start. it's a b18a so it's not that new...just low miles, but i want to replace alot of parts with oem and aftermarket parts. i have basic hand tools ( ratchets and wrenches and so on)...but what else am i going to need? i pretty much just planned on just randomly pulling stuff off of the block. this motor will be built ls/vtec and all motor. please people....i need help
Old 07-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: help me tear my motor down.... (biscuitjones)

Cool. Im lsvtec with b18a. First off you will need a few things that are major. That is a lot of plastic bags and a sharpie!!! Every bolt you take off put it in a bad and lable it. You DONT want to go back and say hmmmm.... what bolt does that go to, or where is the bolt to that. You should seperate the head from the block. Just take off the valve cover, loosten the timeing belt tentioner and take off the timing belt. Take off the cam caps and make sure you follow the sequence. It is in the chilton manual. Just pick one up, you wont regret it. Most what im going to say is in the chilton manual and described much better with step by step instructions.

After the cams caps are off carefully take out the cams and place them some where safe. there are i think 8 head studs down connecting the head to the block. Before taking those off make sure everything else connecting the head to the block is off be it vacume, electrical, or mechanical. Once those are off take out the head studs in the right sequence or you rist worping the head/block surfice. Once you get the head off you are looking at 4 pistons that are probably dirty as hell.

Flip the block over and undo the oil pan nuts and bolts. Easy step, but its tedius. When you take the pan off you will see the windage tray and oil pick up. Those are easy enough to take off but, DONT FORGET TO PUT THE NUTS/BOLTS IN BAGS AND LABLE!!!!!! Once those are off put them in a clean place, maybe wrapped up in lint free rags. You then are looking at the crank, crank caps, and the bottom part of the piston/rods. Before you take those off you will need to take off the oil pump and rear main seal. Just bolts holding it on. If they dont come off fairly easy dont force anything. Look for more bolts. Some are less visable then others. Once those are off take the crank studs out. This will take some muscle. But as long as you have someone holding it or it is inbetween your legs you will get it.

Keep everything in a safe clean place. You dont want to buy more parts than you have to. After taking the crank caps off, which you might need the help of a rubber mallet to loosen them, you will be looking at the crank which is free accept for the rods holding it down. All you have to do is unbolt the rod bolts and take the caps off. Now once those are off you can slide the crank out. But store the crank standing up right. If you store it for too long ive heard that it can warp and you will need a new one. So stand it up. Now for the pistons. Make sure that the rods dont bang on the cylinder walls when taking them out, wrap a small rag around the rod to make sure. Flip the block on its side and push the pistons out through the top.

At this point most of your block and head are taken apart. This should get you started. Im sure someone can elaborate more or correct something i might have messed up. Good luck. By the way here is my lsvtec build link.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1697662
Old 07-21-2006, 09:01 PM

Default Re: help me tear my motor down.... (jakscivic)

thanks man... i have a civic chilton manual, so i think i need to pick up an integra book as well. anyone know where to get the big honda/acura shop books? i'm talkin about the ones that the techs use at dealerships.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe your talking about helms. Those are pretty expensive, but they are crazy good. Just look around on honda-tech or google it.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:36 PM

ttt