Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP.....H22 idle problem.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP.....H22 idle problem.........

ok at around 1500 rpm my my motor will jump rpms up and down unless I fully gas it. I can press on the gas a good bit but unless its all the way down it will just sit there jumping back and forth. Today I was under the hood of my car when I bumped my icv and my car started jumping up and down at just idle. I cleaned it out and plugged it back in but it either jumps at idle and works fine from then on or it has a good idle and startes jumping at around 1500. What all could be wrong? Maybe just the clip? Please help me out.......I don't want to go to the track unless all the bugs are worked out and this seems to be the last. Thanks alot.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:20 PM

omfg dude, i hope someone can answer this question. ive been having the same problem for like a month now! i thought it was the icv too.. no luck... odd, same car, same problem..
Old 04-01-2004, 01:48 AM

Default Re: (H22A1CivicEG)

Have you set your idle properly? Did you follow the procedures in the helm's manual?

Your idle could be set too high, causing your iacv to have a hard time keeping a steady idle.

Warm the car up to operating temp (cooling fan turns on). Unplug your iacv w/ the car off. Turn the car on with the gas pedal pressed. Rev the car to about 1k. SLowly let off the gas until the motor idles. With the iacv unplugged adjust the idle screw til it idle at around 450-500. Make sure there is no load on the motor at this time (headlights off, defroster off, heater off, etc.) Then turn the car off. Pull the fuse to the ecu to reset it. Put the fuse back in after at least 10 seconds. Plug back in your iacv. Make sure there isn't any load on the motor. It should idle at between 650-750 rpms. Let it idle for about a minute w/ no load. You should be good to go then.

Try that. Also check to make sure the vacuum line going to the map sensor is on there tight and not leaking.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP.....H22 idle problem......... (KNIVES)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KNIVES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok at around 1500 rpm my my motor will jump rpms up and down unless I fully gas it. I can press on the gas a good bit but unless its all the way down it will just sit there jumping back and forth. Today I was under the hood of my car when I bumped my icv and my car started jumping up and down at just idle. I cleaned it out and plugged it back in but it either jumps at idle and works fine from then on or it has a good idle and startes jumping at around 1500. What all could be wrong? Maybe just the clip? Please help me out.......I don't want to go to the track unless all the bugs are worked out and this seems to be the last. Thanks alot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is a known problem with almost every h22 swap. Mine does it, my friend's does it, and so does the car's of half the people here. Mine usually starts happening after I've been running the car really hard for like 20 minutes or on a really hot day. Usually if I check the vacuum hoses and turn the car on and off it stops doing it at every light.

Also, in order to get it to stop with leaving the car on, I just disengage the clutch, tap the gas and it'll always go away until the next light.

Old 04-01-2004, 08:19 AM

Location: south grand prairie aka the pits of saburbian hell, tx, usa

dose it bo down any cuz mines was boging down around 2000 3000 rpm and when i would give more gas it would be kool but the next day i think my ecu went into save mode and it wouldnt let rev past 400 rpm and then later on in the day it wouldnt let me go past 3200 rpm its in the shop now and they said it might be the egr valve and some sesor might be out
Old 04-01-2004, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the replies...I'm going to try to work it out this weekend. Weird thing is that every time I tap the clip on the icv it will jump. I'll keep everyone posted especially if I get it running right. Also a stock p28 will keep it from doing this but a chiped one won't....weird.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KNIVES)

Check your EGR If this is Getting Vacuum at all times thats Bad jew jew, or Cable to tight....and worst thing of all your IAC
Old 04-05-2004, 09:17 PM

all the problems I was haveing are fixed. When I ran a p28 with the skunk2 program it did the same thing but the Peter Yen Racing chiped p28 fixed everything. I'm not sure why. Haven't got under the hood yet to see if the icv fitting still jumps if I tap it but I drove it today and it runs GREAT. The crazy idle is gone, and I had a very nasty throttle responce when I let of the gas or tried to gas it. The car was a pain in the *** to drive in town but the car drives the way I want it too. I'm hopeing for a 13.9 next weekend now that I can hold the rpms in one spot. Good luck to anyone else working on there nasty idle.