Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

'87 Integra Idle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '87 Integra Idle Problem

I'm looking into taking from my parents, their 1987 Integra. The only problem is it's been sitting for awhile due to an idle problem. We worked on it this weekend. After a lengthy alternator replacement, it runs...kinda.

Here's the problem sports fans, the car idles really, really rough. Description follows.

When the car is started from cold, it will idle about 2k, and it's fine. In less than a minute, the idle will drop to it's normal level (of about 700-800). Everything is fine until just about the time it hits the normal idle RPM. At that point it runs rough, and the idle drops to about 500 RPM. It will bounce between 500 and 750 rpm for quite some time, almost indefinitely. It only died once in approximately twenty minutes of idling.

If you give the car any gas, it runs fine. There's no noticable stumbling or hesitation when we were driving the car. After we drove it for a mile or two, the idle was better. If you gave it enough gas to take it off idle, it would return to idle speed and stay there for a minute or so, before returning to the rough idle. (So the car warms up, and idles better, but will eventually return to the rough idle state)

We drove the car around to the shop, and let it cool down while we went and got a battery for it (I was borrowing one). When we came back, we started it and the rough idling issue had returned. If I revved the car, it still returned to a rough idle. After letting it idle roughly for a few minutes, we pulled the plugs, and they were very sooty. So it seems to be running rich at idle.

The gas _is_ old, very old. But I don't think that's the problem. The gas smells fine. We diluted the old gas with new gas, but didn't make a big effort to replace it. Considering that it seems to run fine above idle, I don't think that it's bad gas causing this problem.

I didn't take the car to redline, or even very close (I want to change the oil first), but it ran fine at any RPM up to 3500, under any throttle condition.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: '87 Integra Idle Problem (ashe)

TTT