Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody swapped an OB1 motor into OB2 CAR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anybody swapped an OBD1 motor into OBD2 CAR?

Im currently doing a swap involving b18b(obd1) into my 97 civic cx. O boy its a pain in the ***. I have the motor in. Its pluging everything in the problem. Is it even possible. If it is can some one give me pointers about the wiring and harnesses.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Has anybody swapped an OBD1 motor into OBD2 CAR? (LSReborn)

here you go, this was posted by KATMAN, he know his ****. Best description i could find

First off, it sounds like you either have an OBD or OBD1 B16A engine. For arguments sake, lets say you have an OBD1 B16.
To be more specific, you have 2 options here.
(1)You can either convert this motor to OBD2 spec by changing the required engine components (parts) to OBD2 spec or (2) modify the existing onboard components it to work with your OBD2 civic harness. I would personally go for option 1 as its the easier choice but may cost you a few extra bucks and save you some brain hemoraging.

OPTION 1:
As B18C1-ED8 has mentioned, you'll have to upgrade your alternator and distributor...and.. injectors to that of OBD2 (96-00) integra parts....mainly integra VTEC parts when it comes to the distributor & injectors.
However, you CANNOT transfer/use these parts from your SOHC/D-series engine on a B-series engine...totally incompatible. If you go this route, all will plug n' play to your SOHC engine wire harness, but there are mods you need to do to your SOHC harness in order to make it B-series compatible....will explain after option 2..

OPTION 2:
You would keep the existing alternator, injectors, & distributor that comes with your B16 engine, but would have to modify your SOHC harness to work with these parts by rewiring the harness plugs to accept an OBD1 B-series distributor, injectors, and alternator. This can get complicated if you've never played with wiring before.

As mentioned, you'll need to perform a few mods to your SOHC harness. These mods are:
- IACV fix
- add in VTEC & Knock Sensor wiring.
Although, Knock Sensor (KS) is optional if you plan to run a reprogrammed OBD1 ecu with disabled KS.
- these wiring mods can be found in my diagrams here:
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/w...8.jpg
and
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/w...g.jpg
Old 02-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anybody swapped an OBD1 motor into OBD2 CAR? (SohcPower)

Thanks alot for the help. I wish i thought of it. Its almost common sense. Is there any way you can I.M. KATMAN for me so I could get more details.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSReborn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks alot for the help. I wish i thought of it. Its almost common sense. Is there any way you can I.M. KATMAN for me so I could get more details.</TD></TR></TABLE>
what do u need to know? Most of the stuff is in the forums jsut gotta search, the way i look at it is if u cant look up something then dont even bother with the swap.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think what you said about swaping the the injectors and distributor would work. If theres any splicing involved, no problem. I have the skunk2 conversion harness so i shouldnt run into problems.