Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22A Running Like Crap Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22A Running Like Crap Need Help

So I recieved a call from a friend explaining his died yesterday and I went to help.

Long story short I realized the car was driving fine from one minute to the next on the highway and the car suddenly died loss of horsepower dramatically.

Arriving I noticed when starting the car it hesitates to start like it doesnt want to fire up while turning over. Once given gas the car fires up and is missing like all cylinders. When the throttle is released the car dies on its own.

Variables:

~Friend explained the day before yesterday he had a hard downshift. Drove the car easy then and yesterday and then suddenly dies.

~He washed the motor 3 weeks ago

~He hasnt changed oil in about 3 months

~Water Pump and Timing Belt where changed a month ago

My Inspection:

CEL: None Yesterday, today when checked the CEL is solid with the two pin connecter.

I found plugs fouled out and went ahead and replaced them.

I checked for spark in every cylinder which it has and its orangish.

Firing Order is on point 1234 34
I removed valve cover and set flywheel at TDC little circle in between two lines and the camshafts line up perfectly the left camshaft is a hair under the the right when the arrows are up. Its not even a mm apart very close.

Timing belt is nice and tight

I thought the tune was messed up so I found another ECU with a H22 tune and still nothing

I then started with power checking the injectors every injector has signal from the ecu. I figuired maybe the injectors had became clogged so I went home and snagged another set of OEM H22A4 Injectors gave them a nice clean installed them, turned over and with throttle and shuts down.

Got the car home today hoping that by changing the oil I would find metal specs in the oil to give me relief to say that the motor threw a rod with a spun bearing and I am not and idiot lol. But nothing oil was nice and clean just darker than usual. Where sitting here with no ideas and like I said today the car CEL was checked and it stays solid what the hell does that mean?

Setup is

96 EK OBD2A

JDM H22A OBD1
Dizzy is Internal Coil
JDM Header
Hacked up exhaust
Tuned on Neptunes By Sal in Glen Burnie

Oh by the way to make things even better last night the car sat out and was broken into with a smashed window, flip out dvd with navi was stolen and amps where taken with sub box. YAY Got to love the midalantic.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: where the roads are shit and the deer jump out fast
Default Re: H22A Running Like Crap Need Help

hey, i sorta had the same thing going on with my H22 in my accord. cell was solid ran like **** and everything else you were talking about. well on my car a solid cell means a bad ecu. replaced it and now it runs fine. and i read you replaced it, so i dont know. i just wanted to let you know i had the same problem. good luck
Old 05-11-2009, 11:51 AM
New User

You might want to check your coolant for oil....kinda sounds like a bad head gasket.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just swapped a h22 into my EG civic and had a simalar thing, for me it was a vacuum leak or to be precise the IAB starting valve wasnt hooked up. It runs fromt he IAB box to the back of the inlet manifold if that helps
Old 05-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you running a resistor box? i had a very similar problem and first suspected timing and all, but it was all good. then i noticed that one of the wires was torn out of my resistor box, so i replaced it and it was perfect. this was on an obd1 h22a in an eg.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:33 PM

with that bad downshift it probably threw something off.....that really sounds like the timing is really bad because that happened to me before but you said you checked it so I dont know what to say.........pistons could be off balance...car may not be getting enough fuel.....or air......valve timing might be way off or valve position..... could be a number of things... im interested to see what this is about.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:34 PM

does it hit VTEC at all?