Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h22a into crx

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22a into crx

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has done this swap or has any helpful info on this swap on whether or not it should be done, what problems will come up and another other useful knowledge.....thnx
Old 05-13-2003, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: h22a into crx (bry02908)

yes, I believe some people claim to have done this swap, but I haven't seen pictures as of yet. I do believe Place Racing makes a mount kit for H22 CRX's 88-91, but I would recommend you search around for information.

You will need to convert to OBD in order to run the H22 (being OBD1 or OBD2, either being a pain in the ***).

HTH.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:07 AM

Default Re: h22a into crx (poison)

I looked into performing the swap on my 91 crx when i had it and way too many people told me the h22 is a heavy *** motor. The motor is so heavy that i will throw all of your handling off. You sure can haul *** in a straight line but other than that all crappy haldling. ( conering braking ect.)
Old 05-14-2003, 11:42 AM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: h22a into crx (poison)

HCP is actually in the process of developing an H22 EF mount kit, and it's not "jenky" like the Place Kit. The main points that they're going to achieve is no cutting or welding needed to the frame/chassis and try to reuse the stock mount locations (we'll have to wait and see but similar to the EG mount kit, reusing all of the stock Civic mounting locations), but to achieve the best motor position = motor further back so the axles are as straight as possible, and most likely using a fabricated intake manifold with short runners (and maybe start selling them to those who have H22 swaps in their Civics, who want shorter runners). It's still in the design stages but is going to take place here shortly in a project CRX "race car" and once that's done and working, I'll probably run it in a clean CRX and make it my new daily driver, take it to meets and track days (to prove people wrong again on how a H22 Civic/CRX feels & handles) and just to promote.... that's to come later.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:44 AM
New User

Default Re: h22a into crx (eghatch1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eghatch1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You sure can haul *** in a straight line but other than that all crappy haldling. ( conering braking ect.)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what people said when I first had a H22 in my 92 Civic hatch back in 2001, one of the few people to have it on the road as daily driver, and I took it to the road race course to prove people wrong and it drove great and felt very solid. Now everyone wants a H22 in their Civic. I plan to do the same with a CRX, and after 1st hand experience behind the wheel, then I'll do a full write up on it. I don't trust people who say "this or that" about what can and cannot work.... I like to go out and prove them wrong

Old 05-14-2003, 11:59 AM
New User

i have seen two locally....they were both drag only cars though...they welded in the motor mounts
Old 05-17-2003, 07:55 AM

Default Re: h22a into crx (wuhungsixxx)

Oh **** look at my avatar , and it's daily driver. I made the motor mounts, motor leans forward so the axles are almost completely striaght. But firewall isn't cut, just beat the sides of the engine bay. After doing this swap I really don't think that any motor mount company will ever come out with mounts that will work with out not cutting or banging things, it's just not possible.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:32 PM

I have Just finished a h22a into a ef civic for my friend. It is a daily driver. the swap was alot of work. I was very suprised torque steer is not bad at all, and handling is just fine. I havent had any problems with the axles either. Just be prepared to put in many hours of hard work. My link is not working right now for some reason but soon as I can fix it I will post up pics. you can look at the pics on streetracingonline.com in the genral chat forum.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: h22a into crx (SLRNATURAL)

Old 05-17-2003, 04:52 PM

Default Re: h22a into crx (hot_EH)

Paul Fontes a.k.a. Tangerine on h22a.org has done it and spun his own mounts.

I'm not sure if he's finished but supposedly he was doing a write-up. He might be able to help you more.
Old 05-17-2003, 09:15 PM

Default Re: h22a into crx (sappsycho)

The only problem I see with that pic is the motor is leaned back like it normally would be (assuming that's the stock firewall), I don't think the axles will last long with that setup. It'll angle the axles weird and even more after you lower the car, and peace out to em when you start making some real numbers. That's why I couldn't use the 1/2 civic radiator and now my radiator (87 vw scirocco) sits where the A/C one did. It's going to make an intercooler location a challenge
Old 05-21-2003, 01:52 AM

Default Re: h22a into crx (H22CRX)

That is the stock firewall. I havent had any problems with the axles yet. Hopefully I wont. the axles are custom from place just for this swap. and they guaranteed for one year.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22a into crx (SLRNATURAL)

I like that!
Old 05-21-2003, 04:26 PM

Location: i drive a automatic with a 7 inch tip, ca, united states

my buddy had a crx with a built frankenstein 2.3 lude motor with a t4 turbine on it and he said the motor was pretty hard to get in but once it's in, your like half way done, cause the wiring can take some time but other than that, the car was a fricken monster, the car would spin them up in 5th gear on the freeway till the thieves got her! peace
Old 05-21-2003, 05:53 PM
New User

Default Re: h22a into crx (B18cRuNNer)

Dammit..... lined up a template H22 block and tranny (together is weighs 38 lbs ) and put it into our race CRX to see how it lined up. Unless you want the motor too far forward (which gives you some really shitty angles on the axles), or lower the entire motor (again, axles and ground clearance), you have to cut some of the chassis away. But it looks like all you need to trim (with what we're working with) is just the bottom part of the lower framerail on the passenger side, and then pound it in with a hammer. That way you have plenty of clearance with the timing belt cover and the driver side shock tower, and still keep the axles at a decent angle. Still retaining the driver side welded bracket on the car, you need to drill out the passenger side framerail mount bracket and weld in a new one (no "big" holes around that area that'll support a bracket unless you weld it), but it looks like it'll be a clean setup with how it's looking so far, and with the parts we'll be using.... more to come on it later

Old 05-21-2003, 08:44 PM

Default Re: h22a into crx (Newman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Newman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dammit..... lined up a template H22 block and tranny (together is weighs 38 lbs ) and put it into our race CRX to see how it lined up. Unless you want the motor too far forward (which gives you some really shitty angles on the axles), or lower the entire motor (again, axles and ground clearance), you have to cut some of the chassis away. But it looks like all you need to trim (with what we're working with) is just the bottom part of the lower framerail on the passenger side, and then pound it in with a hammer. That way you have plenty of clearance with the timing belt cover and the driver side shock tower, and still keep the axles at a decent angle. Still retaining the driver side welded bracket on the car, you need to drill out the passenger side framerail mount bracket and weld in a new one (no "big" holes around that area that'll support a bracket unless you weld it), but it looks like it'll be a clean setup with how it's looking so far, and with the parts we'll be using.... more to come on it later

</TD></TR></TABLE>

keep us updated, im really interested cuz we are starting the same project next week.. motor gets here tues..
Old 05-21-2003, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: h22a into crx (tHE oNE)

I would highly recommend a new front cross membe such as from Z10 or custom make your own to clear the engine the other thing is the clearance from the hood you might consider a bullfrog hood or cut hole like H22crx. has for the clutch calbe to hydro you can either buy a kit from Willwood a floor mounted pedal with its own clutch master cylinder and then just run the line. I've got some pictures on my website of an 89 civic hb with the H22 and others. I will ad more contents to my site soon it will be just an H22 engine page!! with How to's,parts catalog,service manual.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:50 AM

Default Re: h22a into crx (Qfactor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Qfactor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would highly recommend a new front cross membe such as from Z10 or custom make your own to clear the engine the other thing is the clearance from the hood you might consider a bullfrog hood or cut hole like H22crx. has for the clutch calbe to hydro you can either buy a kit from Willwood a floor mounted pedal with its own clutch master cylinder and then just run the line. I've got some pictures on my website of an 89 civic hb with the H22 and others. I will ad more contents to my site soon it will be just an H22 engine page!! with How to's,parts catalog,service manual.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks, the car already has a place racing front crossmember. I complelty forgot about the cable/hydro conversion... couldn't we just use a master cylinder off another hydro-car?
THere used to be another h22 crx here in town and if i remember correctly they had to do something with the stock radius arms..?
Old 05-22-2003, 05:17 PM

Default Re: h22a into crx (tHE oNE)

I use a crossmember from midnight performance in rancho cordova, ca. the radius arms clear perfect for this swap. also i used the place racing cable to hydro acuator which allows you to use a hydo tranny in a cable car. i was oringinally going to run the clutch master for the tranny but found the place unit much easier. place sells axles just for this swap but i found that i only needed the passenger side. the driver side was to short for some reason. so i tried a 86-89 integra and 90-93 integra and the 86-89 was still to short but the 90-93 fit perfect.