Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 swap...rumors or truth

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (RabbittZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RabbittZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone even see my post??? ill shoot down gas money for a decent ride </TD></TR></TABLE>

too bad i'm in nebraska i would give you a ride. And with 5 dollars you wont be dissapointed lol
Old 08-11-2003, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey i was wondering whats the best combo with a h23 non vtec?
Old 09-10-2003, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sleepless ek)

My turn to chime in. I just did this swap on my EG with my wife. I used the HCP mounts, 89 integ axles, p13 ecu. ALl i have to say is it is just slightly time consuming with extending a few wires, and running 11 more wires to the ecu. Putting the motor in the car was a tight fit. We installed the tranny mount, then the drivers mount, then the rear mount.

Only problems i have now are i need my exhaust fixed, and i didnt wire up the EGR correctly so i just pulled it and am running with the code 12. I will fix that code maybe today...

Overall it seems to be a fun engine.. Price was good... Lotsa torque..
Old 09-11-2003, 02:55 PM

i just got done with doing the swap. i have a h22a4 (it's the SH). i don't intend to use the ATTS unit, it's just going to be there doing nothing. i'm using the HCP mounts. i ran into a problem, it's kinda weird. well as i'm driving it feels like the pass side wheel is about to fall off. it makes a weird rowing sound i'm guessing it's the axle but not sure. has anyone else ran in to this? another thing has anyone else done the swap without using the ATTs unit?
Old 09-11-2003, 03:11 PM

with the HCP mounts on the trannyside do you have to drill a new hole for the mount. bec i just got the motor in but the mount and the stock hole doesn't line up. does anyone have any pic's of the trannyside in?
Old 09-11-2003, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dumbASSguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dumbASSguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with the HCP mounts on the trannyside do you have to drill a new hole for the mount. bec i just got the motor in but the mount and the stock hole doesn't line up. does anyone have any pic's of the trannyside in?</TD></TR></TABLE>yes you need to drill a new 9/16th hole. there should be a small pilot hole there already.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:43 PM

damit i ran into another problem. i got the axle thing fxed, it was just to low =T. but anyways, my car starts puttering around 6500-7200. i think it has something to do with the fuel but not sure what to do about it.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:22 PM

Hmmmmmmm...............?????
Old 09-14-2003, 04:20 PM

hahaha, JapAndy....nice
Old 09-29-2003, 07:00 PM

Default Re: (Ninety2SiR)

hey, i jus read the whole thread after a search
this is by far one of the best
but im still wondering on about how much this whole swap is going to be
and how hard is it to actually do in your garage
if uve never done a swap before????
Old 09-29-2003, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (Emerika)

I bought my 96 jdm h22a in the end of april 2002. it took me hellaaa long to swap it into my car cause that was the first motor swap i did all by myself, with no friends. my car was up and running by early June (did it in my spare time.) Its harder than all the other swaps just because its a lot bigger motor than any b series, it sits a lot closer to the firewall and makes it kinda crampt but if you use the Hasport motor mounts, it sits a lot better and once its in the car, it looks coo.
The motor doesnt vibrate too bad like some of the folks on this thread, i drove a ITR EK before with motor mount inserts and it felt a lot worse than my car does. The handling is coo even for the shitty stuff i have right now. i plan on upgrading it asap.

this WAS my setup when i first started out:
92 civic vx
place racing mounts
stock p13 ecu
13 inch vx rims
obx coilovers
tokico blue shocks
place racing custom axles
ACT 6 puc w/ HD PP

Right now im in the process of building my head but right before i took it all apart my setup was:
Hasport motor mounts
p28 with skunk2 chip
15 inch rims aguzies
RC310cc injectors saturated (use saturated injectors instead of peak and holds with a p28/30/72)
aem ITR cai
straight pipe custom exhaust
N1 style muffler
drivers side axle is a 91 LS axle with a accord midshaft
passenger side is a place racing axle
AVT 6 Puc w/ HD PP
OBX coils
Tokico blue shocks =\

The thing that made the biggest difference on my car was changing out the injectors to saturated ones. Preludes, at least the obd1 motors, come with low impedence peak and hold injectors and the p28/30/72 ecus use saturated and that makes the car run kinda funky if you mix and match. Also, i dont recomend place racing cause their mounts make the motor sit helllllla low. im telling you from experience cause i have Hasports now and i used to have place racing mounts. Hasport makes it so you can dump your car a lot more too and the motor sits nice. Place racing mounts vibrate a lot and make the car shake too much argh. Over all, the motor is more than worth it cause i smoke my friends with their b series motors, 198 hp from a b series in a hatch doesnt compare to a stock h22 in a eg haha
Old 09-30-2003, 01:31 PM

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (AVRj00neALLrace)

why did u change the drivers side axle once again?
Old 09-30-2003, 09:25 PM

i'm in the middle of my h22 swap right now but i was just wondering if anyone has experience with the enjo mounts. after speaking to the spokesman at nopi i sent my hcp mounts back and ordered the enjo mounts because it is a 4 mount kit and i believe there is more clearence for ac and ps with these mounts. just wondering if anyone had used them yet cause they are kinda new to the market.

peace
Old 09-30-2003, 09:28 PM

also does anyone have an accord half shaft available. local salvage yards don't seem so keen to remove them from their otherwise complete drivetrains.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AVRj00ALLrace &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">198 hp from a b series in a hatch doesnt compare to a stock h22 in a eg </TD></TR></TABLE>

Really?

Wow then, your car should be running at least mid 12's then, because a 198whp hatchback should be hitting mid-high 12's all day every day even with shitty 60 footers.

I'd like to se your timeslips please. I mean some people talk about how they beat their friends' cars all the time, so I'd like to see your timeslips.

If you're going to make bold statements, then be prepared to back them up.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have place racing mounts in my 92 Civic H22 and I can vouch for the vibrations. Shakes wayyyy too much. I suppose I can pick those up since you say the vibrations are solved with a Hasport kit. Also I can say from experience that Place Racing mounts might cause more broken axles, I'm on my 2nd set. I'll probably buy those mounts now since they sound better engineered.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:13 PM

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (Pikachu)

wow i think i might have just read more from this thread than i have for all of school this year! it seems like everyone tries to avoid the questions about how much this swap REALLY costs, and i definately dont blame them, but just like a ballpark figure to get the swap in your car and have the car working. would you say more or less than 3500?
Old 10-02-2003, 10:12 PM

Default Re: H22 swap...rumors or truth (nick123)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nick123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow i think i might have just read more from this thread than i have for all of school this year! it seems like everyone tries to avoid the questions about how much this swap REALLY costs, and i definately dont blame them, but just like a ballpark figure to get the swap in your car and have the car working. would you say more or less than 3500?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Probably more, depends on what your motor comes with (downpipe, int. shaft, etc)and if you plan to do any aftermarket mods while the motor is out.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: . (Newman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Newman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Later, I began to run 13.4 sec times on drag radials and with header, and then with slicks on I ran a best of 12.6 all motor (and that was with about 5 runs on the slicks to achieve that time). I threw on a 100 shot of NOS, squeezed out of 1st gear, hoped that my axle wouldn't bust from the extreme amount of torque, and ran a 12.2, 11.8, and then 11.5 (and then got booted of the track for no cage in the car... heh).</TD></TR></TABLE>
LoL

I went the cheap and risky way and bought the car swapped already. It gave me little problems but I fixed most of them. I still have 2 not major but really annoying problems.

Problem 1: When making sharp right turns or hitting hard bumps at high speeds I feel a strong vibration. I raised the car to stock height and the problem got much better but still there and I don't even know exactly what is causing the vibrations.

Problem 2: When accelerating hard in 5th gear at high rpm's I feel the whole car shutter. I had a previous problem with the passenger axle slightly poping out of the tranny and causing serious shudders at any gear. I ovaled the shape of the snap ring and I only have this problem in 5th now.

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: . (SeaQuake)

well, for problem #1, I can tell you it sounds like axle bindage.. i have the same issue. the axle/s is/are too long.

Problem 2, I can't help ya there, it MAY be the axle thing again, it may be tire balance issue, hmm, anyone else?
Old 10-03-2003, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: . (EK22Tim)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK22Tim &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, for problem #1, I can tell you it sounds like axle bindage.. i have the same issue. the axle/s is/are too long.

Problem 2, I can't help ya there, it MAY be the axle thing again, it may be tire balance issue, hmm, anyone else? </TD></TR></TABLE>I thought the 89 axle fixed your binding issues?
Old 10-08-2003, 12:24 PM
ban

so how much diffrence would you make at the track if you go with an all motor h22 and a boosted b18b
Old 10-09-2003, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ban)

Not to thread jack but I have a set of brand new Drive Shaft shop Stage 2 axles for 92-95 civics for sale. PM me.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:19 AM

Anyone know of how you can make your own cheap axels by usinga H22 inner on a teg shaft? I'd like to find out more about that.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:20 PM

im thinking of swaping an h22 in my prelude...the f22 is waaaay too slow for me but i plan to do it a little later because rightnow my pockets are empty....but i was wondering....

if i buy the bolt ons for my f22....will they fit on the h22?

Quick Reply: H22 swap...rumors or truth