Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h22 into eg..radiator fan, common problem, my fix..

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22 into eg..radiator fan, common problem, my fix..

okay well there has been a lot of people out there with an H22 in an eg/ej that have been having problems with there radiator cooling fan. most of you have been cutting your fan down in size so it will clear the salve cyc. for the clutch.

here is my fix that has been working for me now for about 2 1/2 years. with NO problems.

i simply put the fan on the outside of the rad. (on the same side as the bumper cover)

first, i have the delsol daulcore radiator. using ACE Hardware anti freeze. (get it for free from my work) mixed 50/50 with water.
next i went to NAPA and bought a generic, cooling fan. (push/pull style)
rad. cost me $100
Fan was around $85
your prices may vary.(sorry i don't have a before pic)
i simply cut the OEM wiring harness for the stock fan and soldered on to my new NAPA fan.
I recomend testing first, to make sure you have the fan blowing the correct way.
switch the wires if it blows the wrong way. (remeber you want it to push the air through the rad)
install fan on to rad with supplied "push through" fasteners.
and reinstall new radiator in to stock postion.
and there you have it!! no problems hitting the save cyc, and no cutting of the fan at all!!!

some pics for you....

and another angle...

and last the fan from the front..

hope this helps. it has worked for me.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 into eg..radiator fan, common problem, my fix.. (cccya)

good info
Old 06-29-2003, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: h22 into eg..radiator fan, common problem, my fix.. (fastwanabe)

Looks good man.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:36 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool. What size is that fan? I found a 10" fan (smallest one I could find) but a friend of mine had an 8" fan and that worked perfectly in his H22 EG hatch - I'm using the 10" fan for my DA.... pusher for the AC condensor (turbo is in the way now ) but I'll take a picture of it next to a stock radiator fan and take one on the front of the AC condensor of my DA. Not an EG or EK but the same principle.

I think my friend got his 8" fan from a fittings shop but I couldn't find one when I went to the local one here. Anyone know a good source online that sells 8" radiator fans? BTW, the 10" fan cost $59 from PepBoys, and that was the smallest one they had... next ones up were 12" and 16".

Old 06-30-2003, 09:02 AM

One small question. When you wired up the new fan did you include the stock fan switch or did you just run it straight to the harness? The only problem I have now is still my fan is running constantly and I am wondering if its the stock fan switch that has gone bad and if I can just bypass it altogether and just wire the fan without it..
Old 06-30-2003, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 into eg..radiator fan, common problem, my fix.. (Jason kiDD)

if i remember right, i cut the wires, as close to the fan as possible. so it included, everything. i then ran the motor, in the garage, at about 4k RPM untill i saw the fan come on.
i don't have the old fan or radiator, any more. it was starting to leak, and the fan was useless to me then.
Old 06-30-2003, 03:22 PM

I guess I will have to take pictures of how I did my fan then you guys can tell me if its similar..
Old 06-30-2003, 06:03 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: h22 into eg..radiator fan, common problem, my fix.. (Jason kiDD)

Here are some pictures that I just took of my "slim 10 inch fan" install earlier today... not an EG or EK but you get the idea....

Rest of the pictures here: http://www.JDMshit.com/TurboDA

Basically I just used male-end spade connectors and just connected the 2 wires into the AC condensor fan plug and reversed the polarity so that the fan acts as a pusher fan. Had to pull the AC lines forward a tad but nothing major..... fan fits in there perfectly. Works great and fits perfectly behind my bumper (FYI, I'm using JDM bumper support brackets so I don't know the clearance issues with a front bumper support beam in place).