Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 in a Ef chassis. Saw an HCP kit but is this doable? Without a machine shop.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 in a Ef chassis. Saw an HCP kit but is this doable? Without a machine shop.

H22's are cheap compared to B18C anything. Not for racing but for hiway driving grunt. I thought this was undoable till I saw the kit from HCP. Now I wonder if it does fit or not. I thought it was too tall. Anyone out there see this done. And yes I have searched first. I know its going to understeer mor than a B18C but I am not Auto-Xing with it. Nor am I drag racing. Just after some serious ***** for highway acceleration from a roll on. Looking to step up from a ZC but not willing to spend what a B18C costs to buy. And would like more than a B16A which is nice but want something with more torque. LS/Vtec is is too pricey to build right in my budget. And Turbo I have considered, but to get the power levels I would like gets very involved and expensive due to internal engine work needed for the ZC to handle it reliably. No flames or smart comments. I know the disadvantages of this swap compared to B' series. Just looking for helpful insights and firsthand knowledge.

[Modified by virginia_dude, 8:18 AM 2/5/2003]
Old 02-05-2003, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: H22 in a Ef chassis. Saw an HCP kit but is this doable? Without a machine shop. (virginia_dude)

The amount of $ it would take to get the H22 installed and working properly would probably be more than the B18C swap with a B series mount kit. There are only a few H22 powered EF's that I know of which are pretty much dedicated drag cars. The reason you haven't found much info on it is because it's not a practical swap for those models. If you had an EG or EK then I would say go for it! Stick with the B series in the EF
Old 02-05-2003, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 in a Ef chassis. Saw an HCP kit but is this doable? Without a machine shop. (VTECVillain)

I remember Seeing up on another Hybrid site about the B20 being an issue with lowered cars due to engine height and was taking a wild stab that a H22 would be even worse. Thats why I was so surprised when I saw the mount kit for this swap. I never thought it would be easy. I did however think it would have been chaper than the B18C swap since those start at $1,000 higher and more than $2,000 over for one in the same power range. But wanted input from someone who knows a lot more than I do on this. My area of expertise is stuffing a ZC into the EF. (well it bolts right in, no stuffing needed) and the Wiring for that into a DX was a breeze for me. I just made a whole new harness out of my old one and the cut ZC harnes. And had it work right the first time. So I am not a mechanical neophyte. My first swap was a 300HP small block chevy into a Chevy Monza spyder. That was sweet, 12.42 in the 1/4 mile forget the trap speed but that was 15 years ago, and with full interior spare tire and a full tank of gas. But what you said is enough for me to think about forgetting that swap. I can't go over $3,000 total for my next swap. And I want substantial imporvement in power over the ZC or its not worth doing. THe ZC is a sweet running swap and has given me no problems at all. So I will not move from something that works so well for a small improvement in seat of the pants feel on the highway. Like I said, I don't Auto-X and I don't drag race. But I love to be sucked back into the seat HARD when I mash the gas.

[Modified by virginia_dude, 9:13 AM 2/5/2003]

[Modified by virginia_dude, 9:14 AM 2/5/2003]
Old 02-06-2003, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 in a Ef chassis. Saw an HCP kit but is this doable? Without a machine shop. (virginia_dude)

I have an H22 in my 89 Civic, but it's a full out race car... I didn't use no mount kit, but rather fabricated my own mounts. It's definitely alot of work to get it in, but it's all worth it in the end. That's if you're doing it yourself.. If you get a shop to do it.. be prepared to shell out big $$$$.

There's quite a bit involved to stuff a big motor into sucha small engine bay... I had to cut the frame rails for clearances to the tranny and the crank pulley. I don't think I'd do it again if I had a choice, at least not for a street car.. The motor is definitely too heavy for this generation of chassis. Handling Acceleration
Old 02-07-2003, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 in a Ef chassis. Saw an HCP kit but is this doable? Without a machine shop. (KS-R)

I sort of knew that in the back of my mind. But when I saw mounts for sale for this swap I just had to ask so I would know for sure. Bummer same power and more torque than the B18C5 for half the price. Knew that it was too good to be true. At least in the EF chassis.
Old 02-07-2003, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't go over $3,000 total for my next swap. And I want substantial imporvement in power over the ZC or its not worth doing.
That'll barely buy the h22 if you were seriously considering it.

3K won't even put an H22 into an EG or an EK...you need around 4K to do the swap properly into EG+
Old 02-08-2003, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 in a Ef chassis. Saw an HCP kit but is this doable? Without a machine shop. (hot_EG)

I can get a JDM H22 with trans for $2,200 with ECU. A JDM B18C is about $3,500 and a JDM B18C5 is about $5,300. Of course that is plus mounts and axels and incidentals. But the main issue is its just too damn hard to shoehorn it into the EF engine bay. Which what I suspected. Or it would have been done a lot more often.

[Modified by virginia_dude, 3:07 PM 2/8/2003]
Old 02-08-2003, 02:23 PM

i can get u a GSR for 3100k right now in fairfax.... u let me know and dont bother unless ur serious and i have a low compression h22a with cusco LSD and mounts that should fit EF if not well work something out....3100k for the h22a (bec. it has a head gasket gears and LSD)
Old 02-08-2003, 05:14 PM
H25
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 in a Ef chassis. Saw an HCP kit but is this doable? Without a machine shop. (KS-R)

yea i have done the h22a swap into my 88 crx but its also a dedicated race car now. i had custom fabricated mounts i had to cut out a portion of the frame rail for the tranny to clear. and fill it back up. but yea it sits in there nice now. im also running one in my civic eg and yes it handles a bit not *** good becuase its a little more front heavy. but acceleration is very good.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Somebody asked me where I found the H22 mount kit for the EF chassis, here is the link because I came across it again. http://www.jdmhondaparts.com/frameset.htm

accurate or not, practical or not thats where I saw it.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:24 AM

In all honesty I'd say make some, because a lot of the mount kits won't put the motor where it needs to be and u'll break axles especially if you lower the car more than 1"1/4 because of bad motor placement. If you need some help get at me. Oh yeah it's a daily driver.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 in a Ef chassis. Saw an HCP kit but is this doable? Without a machine shop. (H22CRX)

Well fabricating mounts doesn't scare me. You have this setup as a daily driver, I would love to see that if its local. just to see how it fits and all. and Yes my car is lowered 1.5 -2". never measured before and after so its a guess how much. about 1 finger gap with 205-50/15 on GSR rims. Wiring is a bigger fear. I did the DPI to MPFI with no problems

[Modified by virginia_dude, 5:24 PM 2/18/2003]
Old 02-19-2003, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep the info coming guys, I have been seriously considering this for my 91 si.