Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 Distributor

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 Distributor

I am in desperate need of your help. I was trying to start my H22 Civic for the first time when something in the distributor popped. So i ordered a new distributor. The only problem is the two dont look the same. I have highlighted the differences with a yellow dot, red dot, and a green dot. The red/yellow on the old distributor run to what I think is the coil (green dot). On the new distributor there is no coil obviously and the red/yellow lines run back into the connector. As obvious as it is the new one appears to external coil. How do I go about getting the new distributor on? The distributor is from a H22A2 (UK Spec) and the engine is from a H22A. I ordered the distributor from the states. A long story short i started my swap a year ago with a H22A2, after oil pressure problems I swapped over some parts and put in the H22A. After something from the dizzy whent i would only get this erratic extremely low spark. Because I am in stationed in England and a distributor cost about $600 i decided to order one from the states. I kind of dumb with this external and internal coil business. Can someone please help me.

Old 07-25-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Re: H22 Distributor (Neondog82)

You should try and get the original dizzy. I can't really tell you what else would work so I hope someone else will answer your question.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 Distributor (Sixgundone)

The distributor on the left has an internal coil.

The distributor on the right has external coil.

Either of these distributors will work on your car and it will run just as good no matter which of these distributors you put in. I have a U.S motor which originally comes with an external coil but I swapped it out and used a distributor with an internal coil. SO you can use either one of these. Hope it helps
Old 07-26-2005, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 Distributor (Slavko)

you can swpa internalls from any obd-1 dist. except the sohc vtec accord motors.If you compare the two dist. you have got you can tell where the difference is in the two, i mean by the wiring.Its hard for me to explain but if i had the two dist. here i could do it for you.I tell you what if you send me the two dist i will make the new one work for no charge just pay for shipping.Its an option.Pm me.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: H22 Distributor (per4mance)

I had to swap the internal coil from one to another when my dizzy died too. its a lot easier than you would think.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: H22 Distributor (IHateJDM)

Hey you guys, thank you for the help. As I mentioned before when I tried to start the car the first time something in the distributor popped. So today I swaped the ignition modlue from the new one over to the old one, and the car produced no spark. I was going to replace the coil itself next. It was mentioned that I can use the external coil? How do I go about doing that since I dont have one? I was going to just send back the new dizzy I got and ask for one with an internal coil. On a side note, i dont know much about spark (ignition) what would I need with the parts that I have to run like a MSD external coil? Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:24 PM

USDM H22's are external coil, JDM H's are internal so you may not be able to order an internal coil H dizzy. If the coil is bad, then all you need is either an external one (I would recommend this if you are adding msd later), or a new internal one. Either will work.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:30 PM

You know I hate to be bothering you with dumb questions, but how exactly am I going to be able to add an external coil to the setup I have now? will there be any problems with the engine wiring harness? How exactly does power get from an external coil to the cap? will I need a new cap as I only have the cap for the dizzy with the internal coil?
Old 07-26-2005, 01:32 PM

yes, you would need a new cap.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:46 PM

How do you go about adding an external coil?
Old 07-26-2005, 02:00 PM

There should only be 3 wires you need to mess with. On my car, they are:
black with yellow stripe
solid blue
soild yellow

The black with yellow stripe and solid yellow wires both go to the positive.
The blue wire goes to the negative on the coil.

Here's a write up of how to convert the other way, it should help.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=348699