Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 in 5th gen hatch - driving impressions and more

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 in 5th gen hatch - driving impressions and more

Ok, so after a few long months of work, the hatch is on the street and powered by an H22. Let me first say that I love the power everywhere in the powerband. While up top there is certainly more power, I never feel like I need to downshift. When I do hit the gas, this thing flies! Vtec kicks in and just throws the car forward!

setup -

1992 Civic VX hatchback - full interior

I have an OBD1 J-spec engine with the J-spec transmission and LSD. Based on reputation at the time, I purchased the Hasport mount kit which looks and works great, even if it is a little on the expensive side. I have heard other mount kits work well also. Axles came from driveshaftshop and were a bit off when I installed them (check when you put them in and not during the first drive! ) They sent me a new set as soon as I called and they fit well. (no binding or rubbing on the forks) Other misc items are: AEM ITR CAI, AEM FPR, AEM fuel rail, Apex'i WS exhaust. I also have a walbro 255 pump but that isn't in yet. I wanted to see how the engine performed on the civic pump. It seems plenty strong up top, but the 255 liter pump may add a little more if there isn't quite enough fuel. I'm not sure... I'll find out! I'd like to dyno it too just to see what it gets to the ground.

The suspension was upgraded with Eibach Pro-kit springs for an Integra GSR, and Koni yellows for a GSR as well. New ball joints and a complete Energy Suspension bushing kit rounded out the setup. I plan on making some strut tower bars which should also help alot. (stock nuespeed front bar covers the oil cap, but almost fits otherwise, just a bit of grinding needed)

The ride is a little harsh on bumpy roads here in Milwaukee, but not too bad. Its about what I expected for the car. Its setup more for performance like I wanted. On the track (autocross) It feels really tight. Last Sunday I took it out for the first time and had a blast. I have stock VX wheels and crap tires at the moment, but once those are upgraded the car is going to kick *** on the track. I have manual steering, and it takes more turns and is a little tougher, but is fine on the road. As a personal preference, I kinda like power steering though and if I could have it I think I would do it, but I'm not going to swap that out, plus its more weight.

I've never been in a GSR hatch, or one with a Type-r or B16, so I can't compare to those, but I do know that I am very happy with the power this engine comes with out of the box.

Would I do it again if I could start all over? Hmm, I like it alot, but a clean B series swap sounds nice too. Maybe LS turbo ?? The H22 power level is great and I'm happy with it.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 in 5th gen hatch - driving impressions and more (SleeprCivic)

Sounds good to me, but why would you want to do a B series if u could do it again? The H22 is the fastest of those engines, all stock. But, it sounds fun. Good job.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:10 PM

Default Re: H22 in 5th gen hatch - driving impressions and more (ChaseIntegra)

I didn't say I would do a B-series for sure, but at the time I was thinking about what to do, I was tossing around the idea of an LS turbo, which would have been faster in the end, but more work and money. I do like how clean a B series swap is though. It was made for the car! The cutting, custom axles and mounts isn't that big of a deal though...