Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-series into EK tranny mount issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H-series into EK tranny mount issue

I've got a 97 Civic EX Coupe that I'm swapping an H-Series into it using an H23 tranny. I don't know what brand mount kit I have but it has the crossmember for the front mount as well if that helps. My issue is that the tranny mount does not sit flush on the tranny. The studs don't sit at the same height for those who are familiar with the shape of the tranny/factory mount, as well as there are two bolts on top of the tranny right under the center of the mount that it seems to come in contact with. I'm not sure what the bolts are for but they have springs inside of them. I got the mount kit used so I don't know if it was supposed to come with spacers of different studs for the tranny. If that doesn't make since I can upload pictures later. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
Old 05-15-2009, 03:33 PM

Default Re: H-series into EK tranny mount issue

Anyone who has put an H-Series into an EK Civic? Did your tranny mount sit flush on the tranny or did it come with some kind of spacers or special studs? I'm sure I can fabriacte something I'm just not sure how high off the tranny the mount should sit. I've searched and I haven't found any mention of issues with the tranny mount for an H into a Civic but I also haven't heard any mention of the hardware that might come with the mount kit. I know there a million Civics running around with H-Series in them. Any help would be appreciated...
Old 05-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are these mounts silver with red polyurethane bushings? If so they are enjo, possibly the only kit I have heard of that uses a front crossmember mount with the H22. Pictures would help, but it sounds as if the mount was not designed correctly OR alternatively, the mount is designed to be used in conjuction with spacers as you've figured out. The two bolts you are refering to are the "ball spring setting screws" (detents) for the shift forks, don't remove them.

These are the mounts I'm referring to.. but in the picture it shows the mount is made correctly.. so I dunno.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam1am26
I'm not sure what the bolts are for but they have springs inside of them.
Detents. That spring pushes a ball bearing into a notch on the shift change rod in the tranny. This is what keeps the tranny from popping out of gear.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteSol
Are these mounts silver with red polyurethane bushings? If so they are enjo, possibly the only kit I have heard of that uses a front crossmember mount with the H22. Pictures would help, but it sounds as if the mount was not designed correctly OR alternatively, the mount is designed to be used in conjuction with spacers as you've figured out.
Yeah. That is the mount kit that I have. Mine came silver with black polyurethane bushings though. I also painted the mounts/crossmember black to give it a more factory look. My transmission mount is exactly the same as the one pictured. I'm going to assume it was supposed to come with two spacers even though I have not found any information to support this. I took a closer look at the mount and transmission and it should work with spacers on the two studs. When I set the mount flush on the upper part of the transmission where the mount is held by a bolt, the mount looks like it will clear the detents by a few millimeters with a spacer on each of the two studs. Probably about half an inch or so tall. I'll just give that I try and if the engine sits level then there shouldn't be any problems. I was just confused because I haven't seen anyone ever mention additional hardware with mount kits and at first glance I thought the mount was going to come in contact with the detents. But I think everything should work out just fine. Thanks for the help/advise...