Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GSR swapping ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2001, 05:05 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR swapping ?

Hey...when swapping a 95 gsr motor into a 95 civic coupe ex it is safe to drive the car without hooking up knock sensor and the butterfly wires? A guy at a local shop here said, "It would cause no damage at all...the only thing that will happen is VTEC will not work". Anybody know anything about this?
Old 05-18-2001, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GSR swapping ? (dragonsmp)

hey,

I'm not quite sure about that.....I would imagine it wouldn't be safe, i'd rather be safe than sorry.....the person that would know, and give you good advice would be Atomic Performance.....they have 2 sites, www.atomicperformance.com and www.importreview.com...go to importreview.com.....talk to Atomic (his name is Jeff), or email him askin that, him and other people at his shop do swaps daily, and would be able to give you advice on that.

hope that helps ya bro, laters.

PS-how much was the whole GS-R swap, and where did ya get it? I'm looking at getting a b18c in my 93 coupe ex pretty quick here....lemme know when ya can. thx man
Old 05-18-2001, 08:26 PM
New User

Default Re: GSR swapping ? (poison)

hey,

I'm not quite sure about that.....I would imagine it wouldn't be safe, i'd rather be safe than sorry.....the person that would know, and give you good advice would be Atomic Performance.....they have 2 sites, www.atomicperformance.com</a> and <A HREF="www.importreview.com" TARGET="_blank">www.importreview.com...go to importreview.com.....talk to Atomic (his name is Jeff), or email him askin that, him and other people at his shop do swaps daily, and would be able to give you advice on that.

hope that helps ya bro, laters.

PS-how much was the whole GS-R swap, and where did ya get it? I'm looking at getting a b18c in my 93 coupe ex pretty quick here....lemme know when ya can. thx man
Thanks, for the leds...

Well I paid $3,800 for the complete changover including the misc parts like gsr fuel pump, throttle lines, internal wiring harness, GSR wheels, etc. I feel comfortable though even if it is on the expensive side because the engine came out of a rear totaled GSR. And the car was not lowered, performance enhanced or anything...the engine, tranny, and intake look perfect. On top of that I drove the totaled GSR prior to buying the complete changeover. I drove perfect and felt very strong. The engine has 21,764 to be precise. Apparently it was owned by an elderly couple who never drove it (that's the story I got), it makes sense however, because everything interior and exterior was in perfect condition. Anyhow, I would reccomend having whoever you decide to purchase the engine from startup it up and let you drive it. Just my 2 cents worth.

I got it from a salvage yard in Vegas who sells only Acura's and Honda's.
Old 05-21-2001, 08:39 AM
New User

Default Re: GSR swapping ? (dragonsmp)

It won't do any damage to the engine but it will cause the computer to throw a code which puts it into "limp" mode. You won't be making nearly the power you would if everything was working properly. If you just need to get on the road and its only a temporary condition then don't worry. It won't do any damage unless your fuel goes really lean for some reason in which case the knock sensor won't be there to pull timing. I think limp mode retards timing anyway so it's probably not an issue at all.

But anyway, Fix your wiring

Mike
Old 05-21-2001, 10:10 AM
New User

Default Re: GSR swapping ? (92sleepR)

When the ecu throws a code...How do you reset it and get it out of "limp" mode? When an ecu throws a code...is damage caused to it physically?