Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GSR Motor swap question/help

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR Motor swap question/help

I have a GSR motor coming and im going to put it into a 96 civic that i got real cheap but its an automatic. i was just wondering what i need to make this swap and if anyone has put a manual into an auto car. where does the clutch go? etc.. answers to questions like that. and what do i need for the actual motor to fit/run in the civic.
thanks
pete
Old 01-17-2003, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR Motor swap question/help (peterfurnival)

Do you like the 6th gen civic? If the car is in good condition, then you might consider switching to manual but it is a lot of work. You might sell it for a profit and then get a 5th gen (I am partial to them) and have money for mods as well. Switching might not have the same oem quality.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR Motor swap question/help (MLogan)

why is making a 5 speed from an auto so hard and difficult? i might me lame and stupid because i dont know this so pls school me on why. is it not just a drop out and bolt in type of opperation.
thanks
peter
Old 01-17-2003, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: GSR Motor swap question/help (peterfurnival)

The best thing to do is find a 96-00 Civic manual in a salvage yard and get all of the parts for the conversion from the same car. You'll need the manual pedal board, clutch master cylinder with the hard lines, 94-01 Integra or 99-00 Si shift linkage with shifter, and a shift boot for your console. After you remove the auto shifter there will be a hole in the floor that you should cover up with a piece of aluminum. I riveted mine down and sealed it from underneath with sealant then undercoated it. The conversion is not as hard as a lot of people think. I personally have not done the conversion on a hydraulic 92+ Civic but I did one on my 91 CRX.
Other than the mechanical parts there will be a little wiring involved as well. You will need to wire the car in the Park position due to the interlock wiring for the automatic. It's tied into the starter and although you convert the car to a manual the automatic wiring will always be there. It's really simple, just 2 wires that need wired together. Also you will need to run the reverse light wires from the old auto shifter harness out to the plugs on the tranny. If you need any help with the wiring let me know and I can send you the schematics.