Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GSR Brakes into 93 VX - P-Valve and MC help

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR Brakes into 93 VX - P-Valve and MC help

I have searched several forums for the correct info, but I can't find it.
When doing a GSR brake swap into a 93VX, what vehicles originally have the 4040 proportioning valve?
I know an ABS-equipped GSR doesn't, and I know a 95 Civic EX doesn't.

I want to know what car to tell the Honda or Acura partsman that I want a 4040 valve from (I am not comfortable with used hydraulic parts from a wrecking yard).

I suspect any non-ABS 4-wheel disc brake car with 10.25 rotors, but could any of you with firsthand experience (not your guesses, please!) with this swap tell me what vehicle you got your P-valve from?

BTW, if you could also describe the vehicle with the appropriate Master cylinder which bolts on to the VX brake booster for this swap, that would be helpful, too. I have a 13/16 bore, but I have read that a 15/16 or a 1-inch bore size would be better. Will anything bolt up without mods?

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:16 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Re: GSR Brakes into 93 VX - P-Valve and MC help (NorCalTrackster)

The master cylinder from the 91 Civic EX 4-door is 15/16" and bolts to your stock booster.

The prop valves (pick one that fits your setup):
- 94+ integra without ABS (large front caliper pistons, rear discs, and no ABS)
- 90-93 integra without ABS (large front caliper pistons, rear discs, and no ABS)
- 94 only Del Sol VTEC (medium front caliper pistons, rear discs, and no ABS)
- 92-95 Civic Si (small front caliper pistons, rear discs, and no ABS)
- 90-91 CRX Si (small front caliper pistons, rear discs, and no ABS)

Each of those prop valves has it's own special mounting bracket built onto it. I can say for sure that the 94+ integra valve worked in my 94CX, but it only mounts to ONE out of the three studs on the fire wall. It is very stable, and I have had ZERO problems with it like that. It may be possible to swap the bracket by disassembling the valve. I don't advise doing so because the helm manual says never to take it apart.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, 94.
Two things stand out in your reply that I didn't know, maybe you could clarify.

1. I didn't know 94-01 'tegs came w/out ABS. I have no reason to doubt it, but I haven't seen one.

2. I haven't heard of small, medium and large front caliper piston sizes. I presume the 94-up Integras have the large pistons, but I didn't know Del Slows had a different size. Do the Del Slows use the 10.25 rotors, or the 9.5s?

Speaking of brake sizes, are the caliper pistons of the GSRs (large) the same as the pistons in the ITRs?

Now I know what MC and P-valve to order for my EG. I can hardly wait to get it on the track. I just got it going, and the car feels a helluva lot quicker now that the engine is in a car with about 500 lbs less weight! Thanks again!

Old 06-20-2006, 02:10 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NorCalTrackster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the info, 94.
Two things stand out in your reply that I didn't know, maybe you could clarify.

1. I didn't know 94-01 'tegs came w/out ABS. I have no reason to doubt it, but I haven't seen one.

2. I haven't heard of small, medium and large front caliper piston sizes. I presume the 94-up Integras have the large pistons, but I didn't know Del Slows had a different size. Do the Del Slows use the 10.25 rotors, or the 9.5s?

3- Speaking of brake sizes, are the caliper pistons of the GSRs (large) the same as the pistons in the ITRs?

Now I know what MC and P-valve to order for my EG. I can hardly wait to get it on the track. I just got it going, and the car feels a helluva lot quicker now that the engine is in a car with about 500 lbs less weight! Thanks again!</TD></TR></TABLE>

1- There are some 94+ integra that do not have ABS. I can't remember off hand, but I think some older LS models. If you look through acuraautomotiveparts.org, you can search for the ones where the brake lines have no ABS module available...

2- All 88-00 Civics & Del Sols with 10.2" front disc have the medium size calipers. The caliper looks identical to the integra caliper, but the piston is a couple millimeters smaller. This is the reason civic/sols with 10.2" front brakes only have a 7/8" master cylinder. The exception is the 91 Civic EX 4dr that comes with large piston "integra" calipers & a 15/16" master cylinder. Most Del Sols have 9.4" front brakes with small calipers. The 94 Del Sol "VTEC" (w/ b16a3) gets special mention because it is the only EG generation in the US without ABS but still has 10.2" front rotors, medium size calipers & rear discs (same setup as 92-95 JDM Sir2)...

3- Yes the GSR/LS/RS has the same piston size as the ITR. The actual ITR caliper, however, is much bigger than the other integras...
Old 06-20-2006, 04:39 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is teh RS that does not have ABS

And I use teh 91 civic Si master cylinder.