Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GSR front brake swap help - read, did search.

Old 08-31-2005, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR front brake swap help - read, did search.

Hey guys,
I did a search, and learned a lot of great information, but there was nothing on my setup, so I'm wondering if some of you brake swap gurus can help me.

I have a '93 Civic Si non-ABS with the 9" front rotors and rear discs. My swap setup is a '97 GSR front upright assy., '95 GSR ABS 1" brake booster and master cylinder, and Powerstop 10.x" GSR rotors. I am using my stock proportioning valve (I don't know the bias), and I am no stranger to bending and flaring brakelines, so I have no problem doing that.

My problem is that the front fitting on the master cylinder is one size larger than the inlet to my proportioning valve. This is probably due to the ABS valve body inlet, but I'm not sure. Does the GSR proportioning valve have a larger inlet for the front brakes?

If it doesn't, should I get a reducer fitting off of the clutch master cylinder lines or get the 15/16" master cylinder off of the 4 door EX. The EX master cylinder would be easier to install and run from what I hear, but will it be good enough for the GSR brakes? And where can I buy one, I've never heard of a '91 EX 4-door in the U.S. Will my local dealership know what I am talking about?

I'm hoping to install the set-up before the end of September, completing one more stage in Project "STI/EVO Canyon Killer."

Thanks for any help,
Dave
Old 08-31-2005, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR front brake swap help - read, did search. (SGVridgerunner)

i run the 91 ex master cylinder and it works great. it bolted straight up to the brake booster and no flaring or bending lines
Old 09-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR front brake swap help - read, did search. (SoSlo)

Thanks for the advice.

I looked at hondaautomotiveparts.com, guess there is a '91 EX 4dr . They don't list the size, obviously because it's a parts catalog, but the master cylinder is $150.00! That's more than three times what I paid for the GSR MC/BB that I have.

My question is can I/ should I reduce the front fitting in the GSR brake booster to fit in my EH3 proportioning valve, or do I have the wrong master cylinder all together.

Despite its price, that '91 EX master cylinder is looking more and more tempting. What is the part number on that master cylinder? I what to make sure I have it right before buying.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 09-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for the question in the third post
Old 09-03-2005, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SGVridgerunner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the advice.

I looked at hondaautomotiveparts.com, guess there is a '91 EX 4dr . They don't list the size, obviously because it's a parts catalog, but the master cylinder is $150.00! That's more than three times what I paid for the GSR MC/BB that I have.

My question is can I/ should I reduce the front fitting in the GSR brake booster to fit in my EH3 proportioning valve, or do I have the wrong master cylinder all together.

Despite its price, that '91 EX master cylinder is looking more and more tempting. What is the part number on that master cylinder? I what to make sure I have it right before buying. </TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry i can't answer you q' about the gsr lines, but i bought a 91 EX MC for $60 at pep boys (rebuilt). the thing looked brand new and worked perfectly.