Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got bad work done to my car. need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeally noise coming from b18c1

well i took my car in to get the timing belt cuz it was REALLY LOOSE, water pump, and the 3 other belts replaced cuz some were worn. i got the car back and what seems to be the problem is that when my engine warms up ill rev up and i ll hear a squeally noise coming from the motor but close to the belts, and sometimes ill hear a tapping sound but its not a consistent knocking. i took it to kragen some friend of mine worked their and told me it could be my timing.my rev needle also dips low than 1k after i rev up a little the shop that i took it to told me that they didnt re do the timing because they couldnt find the marks? i dunno sound pretty sketch. can someone help me out. its a 96 b18c1 with a b16a2 head. stock if its the timing i already have the timing gun and all the tools. since i have a different head would i have to use the SI manual or GSR manual.. plzzz! need to be pointed in the right direction.

Modified by SilvrBullet GSR at 4:22 PM 11/17/2007

Modified by SilvrBullet GSR at 4:26 PM 11/17/2007
Old 11-17-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Re: squeally noise coming from b18c1 (SilvrBullet GSR)

where was the timing belt "really loose". where did you feel it and how. a timing light will only help you with ignition timing. the squeeling might be from one of the belts that is too loose, either the alternator or ps or ac. your car would be running pretty rough if the timing belt was not alligned properly. but its easy to check, you can use either the gsr or the si manual for all the maintenece on that motor generally.

Landon
Old 11-18-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Re: squeally noise coming from b18c1 (boosted_dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted_dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where was the timing belt "really loose". where did you feel it and how. a timing light will only help you with ignition timing. the squeeling might be from one of the belts that is too loose, either the alternator or ps or ac. your car would be running pretty rough if the timing belt was not alligned properly. but its easy to check, you can use either the gsr or the si manual for all the maintenece on that motor generally.

Landon</TD></TR></TABLE>

not on the side by the water pump. right underneath the left cam gear(if your looking at it from the side of the car) their was about a half inch of play. i checked out my belts right now and the alternator belt is really tight but not as tight as the other belts.about a week ago i started the motor and it was putt putting and struggling to stay on, i turned it off then turned it on right away and like nothing had happend it was running fine. and i had another question. when my motor is warmed up it makes a ticking sound. you kinda of have to put your head really close and listen to it. its not a consistent ticking but i dont think its metal on metal knocking. i noticed it a week and a half after i got my car back.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:48 PM

its probably the injectors ticking

Landon
Old 11-19-2007, 10:36 AM

Default Re: squeally noise coming from b18c1 (boosted_dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted_dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its probably the injectors ticking

Landon</TD></TR></TABLE>

What do u take me as an idiot! its kind of an off set tapping sound. the tapping isnt consistent. its not that loud but i know something doesnt sound right because it didnt sound like that before.....
Old 11-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he was serious about the injectors. DAMN!
Old 11-19-2007, 10:54 AM

Default Re: squeally noise coming from b18c1 (HarfordCTR)

ha.. yea but im pretty sure its not the injectors. i know they tick i think i probably need to get my valves adjusted...
Old 11-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SilvrBullet GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ha.. yea but im pretty sure its not the injectors. i know they tick i think i probably need to get my valves adjusted...</TD></TR></TABLE>

where did you go and get this done? sounds like your timing might be off if its running like crap.. since you are only in whittier you can bring the car to us and we can check it out for you, have a shop in Covina... pm me for the phone # and if you have any questions.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SilvrBullet GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not on the side by the water pump. <U>right underneath the left cam gear(if your looking at it from the side of the car) their was about a half inch of play.</U> i checked out my belts right now and the alternator belt is really tight but not as tight as the other belts.about a week ago i started the motor and it was putt putting and struggling to stay on, i turned it off then turned it on right away and like nothing had happend it was running fine. and i had another question. when my motor is warmed up it makes a ticking sound. you kinda of have to put your head really close and listen to it. its not a consistent ticking but i dont think its metal on metal knocking. i noticed it a week and a half after i got my car back. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is where the play is SUPPOSED to be in the belt. Its not supposed to be perfectly tight. From what you have described, you had no problem and basically paid someone to screw up your ride. Where exactly in CA are you located? Anywhere near Sacramento?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Re: squeally noise coming from b18c1 (Hybrid96EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22crxpwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

where did you go and get this done? sounds like your timing might be off if its running like crap.. since you are only in whittier you can bring the car to us and we can check it out for you, have a shop in Covina... pm me for the phone # and if you have any questions. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Its called Garrett Automotive. i heard they've done pretty good repair work and the guy wouldnt try to rip me off. i ended up paying 500 buck for the whole job, they replaced all my belts, timing belt, water pump, and a valve cover gasket. ive taken the car back because oil was seeping through the gasket, my belt started to squeal and still do, they didnt fix that problem, O and they forgot to tell me that they completely ripped of the insulator on my ignition wires. Pretty shady *** job if you tell me. it seems to run alright but make that loud *** squeel and it gets louder as i got through the rpms.some guy told me my timing was off right away right when i turned on the car. Well right now my pop's is spotting me the money and he pretty much wants to take it to Firestone but i want someone that really know what they doing and just works on nothing but Honda's. so yea ill prob be calling ur shop cuz it seems like you guys would know whats up.