Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full OBD1 conversion in an EF (not just a conversion harness)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full OBD1 conversion in an EF (not just a conversion harness)

I am not big on OBD conversions, this is my first to be honest. I had a DOHC ZC in my 91 Civic DX hatchback, I did not do this swap for lack of time and place to do it. The place that did it really screwed up the wiring pretty bad as far as I can tell (long story, wiring doesn't stay consistent colors and switches 3 times in some cases). So we put in a minime and are running my chipped PM6 and a Pivot ACS-R to control vtec. Running OBD0 injectors and distributor (due to OBD0 ECU). This has not made for a happy engine, the timing had to be retarded too much just to mount the distributor.

So, I have an OBD1 distributor in route and we've put a z6 head on there to replace the y8 (long story, don't ask). I have a p28 ECU and OBD1 engine harness and am wanting to just convert the car to OBD1 fully, now, my question, all I should need to do this is a dash harness from an EG Civic for the proper ECU connections right?

I know it seems like the worst way to go about it, but this hack-job harness we've been working with currently is in bad need of being tossed into the trash.

Can anyone tell me if my thinking on the OBD1 part is out of line? Will it work?
Old 03-04-2004, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Full OBD1 conversion in an EF (cell7dotORG)

What you are wanting to do will take a lot of wiring and headaches. You are wanting to replace everything to the OBD1 gray plug style, that's not easy. A dash harness isn't going to get you there. You would need both the engine, chassis and dash harness from a 92-95 Civic then lots of rewiring. Honestly, just get an OBD0 to OBD1 ECU jumper harness and change only the wiring for the necessary OBD1 parts. If your chassis or engine harness is jacked from previous wiring, just replace that. You will thank yourself in the longrun.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Full OBD1 conversion in an EF (VTECVillain)

yah if you are confused on a problem the original engine chassis harness has, and wanting to use a newer style harness. you are opening a big can of worms.

get it to run correctly on the ob0 stuff before even attempting to adapt the obd1 stuff
Old 03-07-2004, 10:31 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Full OBD1 conversion in an EF (cell7dotORG)

I can do it. I did it for bossman032 on here

I live in vegas, he lives in sacramento california, I did it here and sent it to him.

it was a obd 1 conversion harness.. it converted his obd 0 dx hatch to obd 1 plug and play, converting the engine harness, and the ecu harness by adding a jumper to it

I charge 450 for this, you will have to supply me with your original engine harness also.

its a lot of money, but if you consider that it will make your car plug and play obd 1 and run fine with 0 cel (unless you have a bad sensor or something like that) you will be able to keep this forever and/or keep it and transfer it to another car of the same make/model.