Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

obd0 to obd1 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obd0 to obd1 conversion

i've searched for days reading different threads but none answered my questions. first of all i'm starting with an obd0 chassis and trying to swap in a obd1 b17 engine. i know where to get the ecu conversion harness and i thought that was it, but looking at the engine harness plugs...none of them seemed like they would fit on the chassis harness. would i have to rewire the whole chassis harness with obd1 plugs or would i just change out the whole engine harness to an obd0 harness? any suggestions are welcome. thanks in advance.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obd0 to obd1 conversion (88da3)

I've done this on alot of obd0 cars so know I'm speaking from experience.

You will want to reuse your stock obd0 engine harness. If the car was a dx or STD you will need to do the dpfi to mpfi conversion. The distributor plug needs to be rewired to obd1 the color matching that is done here will depend on here will depend on who made the ECU conversion harness. You can rewire your injector plugs if you want. If you are reusing the b17a injectors then you will need to wire in obd1 injector clips and bypass the resistor box with an obd1 power distribution plug, or you can install some obd0 civic/integra injectors and retain the stock obd0 injector plugs and resistor box. Either way will work fine. Next you will need to install the ecu conversion harness at the ecu. You will have to run some wires into the engine bay for vtec sol, vtec oil press, knock sensor, and 4 wire o2 sensor.

more on the distributor. There are two different ways to wire the distributor. Whoever sells you the conversion harness will explain to you how they set it up.

If you need a conversion harness I got one I could sell you for $150 shipped. If not then there are a number of people on this site that can make and sell you one. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:20 AM

what is the difference between obd0 and obd1 injectors besides the connector plugs? Would this be considered a legal conversion when i go to get the car B.A.R approved? Thanks for the help so far. It is very useful but there is a lot more I need to learn. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (88da3)

i have this same swap. The conversion is pretty damn easy. the conversion harness comes with all the info you need. Hybrid KJ outlined it pretty well, but its hard to read when its all in one paragraph like that, and it gets confusing. here is what you need to do:
-use jumper harness
-run wires for vtec solenoid, vtec pressure switch, knock sensor, and o2 sensor (also for the mpfi conversion if applicable)
-swap connector plugs so that you can plug your obd1 dist into your obd0 engine harness (you can use the gray or the white plugs, doesn't matter)
-if you run obd0 injectors--make no changes
-if you run obd1 injectors, you'll need to solder on the gray injector clips. and remove the resistor box. Take the wires going to the box and solder them together (or use the gray obd1 plug that connects them).

See, overall its damn simple. As for the BAR, it should be cake. As long as you're running obd1 and everything functions properly, and assuming you pass the sniffer, you should pass no problem. I've yet to take mine to the ref because I've had engine trouble and now need new rings. feel free to email me if you have any questions, or check out http://www.g2ic.com I've talked a lot about this swap over there, as well as legallity issues.

Good luck!!
Old 11-13-2003, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (88da3)

Very good info people posted

Here is also a website to refer to:

http://www.boosted.org/obd0_to_1.php
Old 11-13-2003, 01:12 PM

Thank you everyone for your useful knowledge.

91IntegGS, your post was EXACTLY what I've been searching for. Thanks a lot.