Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few H22a into EG6 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few H22a into EG6 questions

Hey guys, my H22 conversions coming on great, however theres a couple of
things I'm not too sure on.

Firstly, I have a hasport mount kit and I've just found out I need a rear mount bracket. Will the one off my lude be OK or do I have to buy a hasport bracket?

Will the prelude brake master cylinder fit my car? (Using prelude calipers with redrilled rotors)

Also, theres a couple of small hoses coming from the back of my gearbox (M2B4 LSD) and we have no idea where to hook them up in the civic!?
Can anybody tell me what they do?

Thanks!!!

Old 06-24-2008, 02:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

plz guys, I really need to know what those hoses do!
Old 06-24-2008, 05:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (lockstock)

i'll give you the benefit of the doubt.....please read the above stickies at the top of the forum....you questions can be answered there
Old 06-26-2008, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'll give you the benefit of the doubt.....please read the above stickies at the top of the forum....you questions can be answered there</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well his post is already here so just answer his question, then tell him his mistake by not searching or reading the sticky and let him know to do so in the future. This is a forum to welcome people not discourage people from signing on Honda-tech. Everyone makes mistakes.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Few H22a into EG6 questions (lockstock)

Those two hoses are for the powersteering, which I'm going to guess you don't have. Just take one of them off, loop the remaining one to the other hole. Yes, it will be fine. No, it is not lubrication for the gearbox.

If you mean the rear bracket for the rear engine mount point, use the one from your prelude. If the engine came out of an Accord SiR-T or something like that, you need to get a rear prelude bracket. 4th gen prelude - the roundish body w/o the popup headlights - is the one you want. USDM 92-96 model years.

You could use the Prelude master, but why bother? Just get one for a EG9 - the SiR model w/ the b16a in it. It will provide the stopping power w/o issue.

Also, save yourself some pain: If that EG6 was already MPFI and not DPFI or carb - I've seen them like that in some eastern European countries, crazy stuff - just use the harness that came on the original engine. At worse, you have to extend the alternator/generator wires. It will save you pain.

Luck.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Few H22a into EG6 questions (MoonScryer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MoonScryer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Those two hoses are for the powersteering Just take one of them off, loop the remaining one to the other hole. Yes, it will be fine. No, it is not lubrication for the gearbox.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup, just loop em. Those lines connect to the power steering rack on the 4th gen ludes. All that it does is reduce the amount of power steering assist at higher vehicle speed.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just like to say thank you to all of you for helping me out (except chad). Especially MoonScryer, your a credit to this forum. I can finally continue with my swap. I only asked if you could use the prelude master because I have one in my donor car. I'll let you all know how I get on, just the damn wiring and installing the engine left to do!!
Old 06-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, the rear bracket from the 4th gen 'lude VTEC is the bracket you need. i just put my H22A into my GSR integra yesterday and that bracket fits perfectly. I'm using Innovative mounts, but i'm assuming that at least for the rear bracket the mount brand wouldn't matter.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks dc2.2, we tried the bracket off my lude today and it was a perfect fit (using hasport mounts).
We had a go at the wiring today and got stuck. Basically, we have no idea what we're doing. The colors on the p30 don't match up to the P13 wiring harness. I'm aware of the sticky explaining the wiring but its hard to understand when you've never done this before.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You are making it harder than it has to be.

Little rambling below, but follow me:

1) Take the h22/prelude harness. Throw it on the floor. Leave it there.

2) Get the harness that came on the engine orignaly in the Civic. Starting at the waterjacket, bolt on the ground point of the harness there, feed the harness up to the injectors, then work the other part around to the oil temp / ect temp / reverse light switch / distributor plugs area of the engine. After, feed the part of the harness for the oil pressure / knock sensor down to the appropriate area.

3) You have an OBD-1 car already, so the ECU from the prelude will plug in just fine into the existing Civic ECU plugs. You have an OBD-1 existing engine that was already in the car, so use its harness.

I'm going to guess your Prelude is a 4th gen from your posts above. It is OBD-1 as well.

The ONLY thing you will have to custom is the alternator wiring. Just extend the existing wires on the civic engine harness up and over the H22. This is the ONLY part you should use from the H22 engine harness.

Don't think of this as an engine swap. Think of it as just replacing the engine, like putting in a crate or rebuilt one - you have to use the existing stuff on the car. Do that, and it will be simple plug and play.

IF you have to move a couple of plugs around, simply split the wiring loom on the civic harness and fish out the wires, plug it in to the new sensor home, and reloom the wiring or just tape it back up. I do it a plug at a time, the retape the whole harness; I don't cut any wiring.

IF you have to cut wiring because the existing harness isn't long enough, use the H22 harness for parts. Find the sensor plug on the H22 harness that corresponds to the one you are trying to plug in, trace the wiring in the h22 engine harness as far back as needed, and cut it an appropriate length as needed. Also include six inches more for paranoia. Plug sensor in, run wires up to where the Civic engine harness fell short, leave some slack, and connect together. Simple.

My experience: I have NEVER had to cut a wiring harness except when doing H/F swaps, and only for the alternator and sometimes the IAT sensor on the intake manifold. I once used a D15 harness on a b16, then moved same harness to an F22B DOHC - only had to do the alternator wiring the second time.

Its a slow process, and sucks a day or two out of you if it is your first time. Take your time, and it will look excellent.

Modified by MoonScryer at 7:40 AM 6/30/2008
Old 06-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Excellent reply, thank you very much! I think I understand now. Gonna have another go at it in a sec, will let you know how far I get!
Old 07-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No prob. Just an FYI - if you had a non-VTEC engine in their originally, you won't have the plugs for VTEC. That is the one thing you will need the H22 harness for as well - plugs and make a sub harness to go to the ECU. Sorry, forgot to put it in the previous post.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MoonScryer)

my car was a vti (b16a2) before i started the swap so alot of the necessary sensors are already there.
We were supposed to finish the wiring yesterday but my friend forgot his soldering iron!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Then except for the alternator wires, you should be golden.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Engine finally went in last weekend, we forgot to take the TPS sensor off and it got crushed. Lucky we had a spare!
Old 07-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can anybody please tell me where I can find the intake control diaphragm?? I'm not even sure what it looks like!

Also, 100 points for the person who can tell me what this is!!

Modified by lockstock at 1:03 PM 7/19/2008