Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F20C in 1950 Willys Jeepster. Neo-Rod

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F20C in 1950 ****** Jeepster. Neo-Rod

My pops and I have been throwing around the idea of doing an engine swap in his 1950 ****** for a year or so. We started with the basic kind of things that most ****** rodders do like a 350 with the turbo trans and whatever other . When we thought about it, we thought it would be really sweet to put a high powered 4 cylinder in place of the original 4 cylinder.

So we discussed it and we think we have everything worked out in our heads, but i figured i might as well relay the info and see if anyone thinks we missed a base.

Things we are gonna need are gonna be obviously the engine, trans, ecu, and engine harness. We plan to make our own engine mount brackets, which shouldn't be too much a of a problem. this is obvious but i do not think the problems are so obvious.

the problems are as follows:

1. What about the security system in these vehicles. Do I need the original ignition and all the surrounding electrical stuff? How should I set up the ignition switch and key and all?

2. I am guessing that the fuel system is a returning fuel system, so how do you think i should work this out? Using a fuel cell is probably the best option I have come up with, but not cheap.

3. I would need to update the lighting and the wiring in the rest of the car to accomodate the new 12 volt system. (The ****** is originally 6 volt).

4. Would i need any of the s2000 car harness?

5. How difficult will it be to fabricate the shifter linkage? We will most likely be going from the steering column shifter to a floor mounted shifter. I still do not expect the alignment of the shifter to the floor to be even close to perfect.

These are just a few that I could think of when I was sitting down. I think that going this new may have it's limitations in an older vehicle, but it would still be damn cool.

The only other option that both my dad and I liked was the grand national drivetrain. Running the 3.8l v6 turbo would be really sweet. It has a ton of potential, it is a smaller engine, and it;s electrical and security system are probably about 10xs simpler than the s2000. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any better suggestions.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: F20C in 1950 ****** Jeepster. Neo-Rod (snoochtodanooch)

bump for some suggestions.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How much does a Jeepster weigh? I only ask because an f20c isn't exactly going to have a whole lot of torque. I really like the idea of putting a modern import drivetrain into classic american iron, but i think I would go with an sr20 instead, just because it is cheaper and more aesily upgraded. Not to mention it will have a far more freindly power-band, with more torque. Good luck on your project
Old 05-22-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: F20C in 1950 ****** Jeepster. Neo-Rod (RynoDyno312)

well, stock hp was 72hp and torque on the ****** was only like 130 ft/lbs or something like that. The s2000 is something like 210hp and 150ft/lbs. Curb weight on the *****'s was around 2850 lbs and the s2000 is very close to that at 2835. Plus i will bet trading the cast block and engine and rear for the s2000s will lower the weight of the *****'s dramatically.

I think that we will be going with a salvage titled s2k. THat way we have EVERYTHING and will not run into and problems. Plus we can use the gas tank and fuel returns and everything.

The only thing i like about the s2000 is that there are both a nice supercharger and some awesome turbo kits made for them. I can likely get a whole car that i would not be able to do with a Silvia which makes the swap generally easier. Also, the 6 speed is sweet, and replacement parts are also important. I can just run to a honda dealer to get the ****.

I am getting excited because now it seems like a reasonable process.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck and keep us updated i think thats a real cool idea!!!
Old 05-23-2005, 12:28 PM

man i have to say if you do that youll have to post everything, and take pics... man that would be sweet to show up at a show or something and say yah, my ******* is a honda... or something.. but yah that would kick ***.. good luck..
Old 05-23-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: F20C in 1950 ****** Jeepster. Neo-Rod (canis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by canis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man i have to say if you do that youll have to post everything, and take pics... man that would be sweet to show up at a show or something and say yah, my ******* is a honda... or something.. but yah that would kick ***.. good luck.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that is something that i do have a problem with doing. generally when i get into a project i forget to take pictures. I am so much go go go that i tend to forget to take pictures and write down what I did.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:03 PM

i do to man, so what i did is write on a peace of paper and taped it in a spot where i would see it and it says "WRITE IT, SHOW IT, OR DIE", and its worked since, so just make a small type of reminder that you know what it mean...
Old 05-25-2005, 05:10 AM
11:11

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dude, I'm seriously contemplating dropping an F20C into my 1965 Honda S600 project.

What type of prices have you been seeing for complete F20C engine swaps?

Anyway, good luck
Old 05-25-2005, 06:16 AM

Default Re: F20C in 1950 ****** Jeepster. Neo-Rod (smithenhiven)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smithenhiven &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude, I'm seriously contemplating dropping an F20C into my 1965 Honda S600 project.

What type of prices have you been seeing for complete F20C engine swaps?

Anyway, good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

well for complete swaps H-motors has it for 3800 plus s/h. You may want to try and go the route that i am going though, that is using a salvage titled car.

The advantage of going with the salvage titled car is that you have EVERYTHING. Like my worry was updating to a returning fuel system and what not. This way, i have everything from the start, including the car harness, and can use whatever i feel, or discard whatever i feel.

The other advantage is that you may be able to retrofit suspension components to work on your s600, or maybe brakes and what not. Just things to consider you know.

Let me know if you have any luck sourcing stuff for your project.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:38 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snoochtodanooch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well for complete swaps H-motors has it for 3800 plus s/h. You may want to try and go the route that i am going though, that is using a salvage titled car.

The advantage of going with the salvage titled car is that you have EVERYTHING. Like my worry was updating to a returning fuel system and what not. This way, i have everything from the start, including the car harness, and can use whatever i feel, or discard whatever i feel.

The other advantage is that you may be able to retrofit suspension components to work on your s600, or maybe brakes and what not. Just things to consider you know.

Let me know if you have any luck sourcing stuff for your project. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, a complete car would be nice.

I have so many ideas going through my head on how I want to approach this project. Like you said, swapping out all the breaks on the S600 for S2K discs, S2K suspension all around, S2000 drive shaft (shortened of course) to S2K rear end.

Another factor to consider (in my project at least), is the frame I'm working with was designed to accomadate a 606cc 57HP engine. It's going to need fully reinforced to handle a 240HP F20C, or done away with, and a complete custom frame used.

But yeah, I'll keep you updating on it, and let me know how your's goes as well.

Old 05-25-2005, 06:44 AM

i am guessing your frame is just open rails right? The only thing with my ****** is that it is kind of big already, not tooo much needs to be done to gusset it up.

If i was you i would just do a frame off job and box the frame. That car is so small i think i could do a frame off in my bedroom. No need to go tube chassis or something ridiculous, boxing it should work well enough.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:49 AM

yeah, open rails. I plan on doing a frame off resto soon, I guess we'll see what happens.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:55 AM

she looks decently together in your avatar, i can't tell if that is rust on the hood or just the picture.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:00 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snoochtodanooch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">she looks decently together in your avatar, i can't tell if that is rust on the hood or just the picture. </TD></TR></TABLE>

There's some very minor serface rust here and there, but overall, the body is near perfect. I'm especially pleased with the floor and trunk pans as they are rock solid, and I've heard they tend to rust out on these cars.

I posted a couple of pics of the car in this thread in you're interested in seeing more photos https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1251998
Old 05-25-2005, 07:45 AM

you find a top? that would seem to be the hardest part to me, finding a top for that thing. The body looks terrific, i mean there is minimal surface rust. I have to do rocker panels and some body repair on mine, but not much.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:55 AM

Yeah, a top is going to be hard to find. Someone told me about a company that makes aftermarket tops for them, I'm supposed to be getting more info on that soon.