Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exactly what from a R can go into an EK?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 10:06 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exactly what from a R can go into an EK?

i just got back my wrecked R today... its a front end collision so i really hope my motor isn't shot... although the shop said the car still starts so...

so i want to know EXACTLY what can go in... i already know sus. eng. tran, blah...
i'm talkin about the stuff i might not know like the master cylinder for the brakes or what not...

also... i think my engine mounts are bent... so other than that... what else am i gonna need to buy to get my ek R goin?
'
TIA
Old 08-24-2001, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: exactly what from a R can go into an EK? (type rizzy)

The master cylinder will work, although you should get the civc si proportioning valve because it bolts right in without out have to cut brakelines for you ITR one. Most everything should swap. Your suspension and lug swap is a little more tricky on a 6G. You will have to mix and match some parts for the civic and ITR to make it work right. You will also need 99-00 civic si front lca's if you want to run a front swaybar. Your shocks are basically useless since you can't use the rear lca's from the itr. But you can use the springs on a set of koni's or whatever your shock preference is - gives you and 1" or so lowering. Motor should go with minimal problems. Also a number of interior components will swap. I have heard of guys swapping dashes in 5G civic's, but think it's a lot harder on the 6G's. I'm sorry if I posted stuff you already know, just trying to lend a hand because I got all the wrong advise from people who said they knew how to do the ITR susp/lug swap and were way off base. Anyway hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2001, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ...and to add

sus:
You CAN re-use your front ITR shocks on an EK no problem. You cannot use the rears though, since the EK rear lower control arms (LCA's) are different - but you can use the rear ITR springs.
I'm not totally sure if an ITR front swaybar works on an EK at all...even with Si coupe front LCA's. If you wanna run a front swaybar, you'll wanna stick with an Si coupe's front swaybar and LCA's. You can also use a 96+ EX coupe's front swaybar and LCA's...but that bar is smaller in diameter than an Si coupes AND the LCA's are cast-iron (heavy) in comparison to the Si coupe's stamped-steel front LCA's (lighter).

brakes:
yes, if your ITR master cylinder & booster are still good, swap that over to an EK along with the 5 lug. If your 5 lug isn't jacked up either, you can totally swap that over. You'll have to use/buy some Si coupe parking cables though (only about $30 or less at the honda dealership) -- oh yeah..for the front suspension, you'll have to swap out the ITR's upper A-arms for the EK's upper A-arm's or else you won't be able to bolt the top portion of the knuckle/hub assembly to the pillar.

interior:
You can swap EK seat rails onto your ITR seats.

Engine transfer info:
Engine will bolt right in along with the use of your ITR engine mounts...but since you have some busted mounts get those replaced and you'll be ok. Also, you HAVE to use an EK's SOHC TOP TRANNY mount (no need to buy one from an SI coupe - same damn mount)....you can't use the ITR's top tranny mount in an EK.
You can also reuse the EK's stock timing belt side mount - you can't use the ITR timing belt side mount either. Everything else will bolt up no problemo.
Re-use your ITR's shift linkage and complete axles too.

As far as the engine wire harness goes you have a few options:
1) If you get a 96-98 EK - get yourself a 96-98 5 speed EX coupe engine harness. You don't have to wire ANYTHING....it's all plug n' play...since EK engine harness's go all they way down to the ECU, unlike previous year'd civic's and integra's.
One thing I haven't tried on a 96-98 civic - is trying to use a 99+ EX engine harness I dunno if that will work.....but if it does that would be good, cuz then if you own a 99+ ITR, you could reuse your ITR's ECU...plug n play action.

2) or... you can retain whatever non-vtec engine harness you have, and just add the vtec & knock sensor wires.

3) if you buy a 99+ Ek hatchback, get yourself a 99+ EX coupe engine harness....
You can't use an SI coupe's engine harness....it splits off at the pillare like an ITR engine harness.

....and lastly, you can use your ITR exhaust piping (not muffler) on an EK. It fits on EG and EK chassis's.

hope this isn't info overkill for ya...just tryin to help since I've been around this stuff for quite sometime now.
Old 08-26-2001, 07:56 AM

Default Re: ...and to add (Katman)

good info so far.

Can you use the ITR radiator if you fabricate brackets like on the EG?
What about the rack and pinion? Maybe you can use it if you swap the front subframe? and then the front swaybar would work?steering column to use the ITR steering wheel?

Hugo
Old 08-26-2001, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ...and to add (HugoR)

yes you can use the ITR rad..with mods of course. Same way as you would in an EG. Rack and pinion will NOT work. You can only use a rack+pinion from another EK...such as an Si coupe. Subframe is different too from DC to EK. You don't wanna use a DC subframe in a EK. The suspension geometry is a little differnt on an EK....your better off with an Si coupe front swaybar setup.....it's bigger than the ITR's bar anyways - 26mm/Si coupe | 24mm/ITR-GSR.
I'm not sure if the DC steering column will work in an EK.
Old 08-26-2001, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Engine transfer info:
Engine will bolt right in along with the use of your ITR engine mounts...but since you have some busted mounts get those replaced and you'll be ok. Also, you HAVE to use an EK's SOHC TOP TRANNY mount (no need to buy one from an SI coupe - same damn mount)....you can't use the ITR's top tranny mount in an EK.
You can also reuse the EK's stock timing belt side mount - you can't use the ITR timing belt side mount either. Everything else will bolt up no problemo.
Re-use your ITR's shift linkage and complete axles too.
You will, however, need to get a rear bracket from a 99 Si, since it is shaped differently from the 94+ Integra model.
good luck,
Jared

Old 08-26-2001, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dunno if this will help, but this person lives around me and the same thing happend to her- wreck type-r and then it all went into a ek
http://patriot.net/7Emerritt/cars.shtml
Old 08-27-2001, 06:30 PM
New User

Default Re: exactly what from a R can go into an EK? (navin)

OMG... thank you guys so much for this info... this might be a lot harder than i thought...

okay.... i just dbl. checked... my steering column is shot, BOTH motor mounts are shot, on the right side... the upper control arm (i dunno if that is it but it's the arm thats perpendicular to the long arm that connects to the rotor & hub) is disconnected from wherever it is suppose to be bolted to, radiator is destroyed, i'm not sure if my wheel is still in good shape but it does have a mean scratch on it but no visible bends or dents, same with right rotor...

okay so how much am i gonna spend here? the ITR is a 97.... and i'm looking to buy a EK 96-97... and i WANT TO KEEP AC...
thanks guys
Old 08-28-2001, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Katman:

I tried to use a 99 Si wiring harness on my 97 Hx. Possible but not worth the trouble. The drivers side plug works fine, but at the ECU the Si has a main ECU connector that stays in the car. THe A plug I believe. If you play with a helms manual and the green engine harness plug that stays in the car you may be able to make it work, but like you said, it is much easier to just use a 96-98 Ex harness.

So the 99-00 Ex's wiring harness is different then the 99-00 Si? Does the whole harness pull out of the 99-00 Ex unlike the 99+ Si? That seems strange. I would think honda would have kept the wiring the same for cheaper manufacturing costs.

Get a 96-98 Ek.....make things easier for yourself. Emissions should be less strict as well.

Good Luck!

Oh yea, the Si front LCA's are lighter! Damn, I knew I should have taken those and the front Si bar when I had the chance!
Old 08-28-2001, 05:23 PM

Default Re: ...and to add (HXMan)

Si's front LCA are lighter but do the ITR ones fit?

Hugo
Old 09-02-2001, 10:26 AM
New User

Default Re: ...and to add (HugoR)

how much in PARTS ALONE am i looking at?

This is soudning to be an expensive project... my insurance will be going up so i might have to consider another car.... damn...
Old 09-02-2001, 01:50 PM
New User

i have decided to throw in my 2 cents.......all information is good sofar......i saw someone said the back mount wont work..this is true...u need a 99-00 si back bracket...and if u want to use the type r bracket, its to long...u have to cut shorter and redrill the mount holes!! its easier to just buy an si bracket...60-80 bucks..
and as for the ac...if u want to use your original civic ac compressor u have to buy a del sol (DOHC) compressor bracket...135.00 (honda..NEW)
Old 09-02-2001, 09:08 PM
New User

Default Re: exactly what from a R can go into an EK? (silverhybrid)

thanks for the info guys... I need to know how much i'll be spending in PARTS ALONE?
Old 09-03-2001, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just do it man...Get yourself a Hybrid and be different (Not many people got complete Type R conversions in the EK) Better Yet, get an EG and then your entire Interior will go into it. Stop 2nd guessing yourself...A complete Hybrid is such a feelin of accomplisment. Get yourself an EK to drive around and start to get your parts together (Pull the Motor, Etc...) Then when you have everything you need...DO the Change over...but make sure you have another car to drive because it might take longer than you expected...especially if you have to order any parts...

Just Do It, Stop Asking Questions we cant answer for you...

Suprdave
Old 09-03-2001, 09:46 AM
New User

Default Re: exactly what from a R can go into an EK? (Suprdave)

i think i am gonna do it... it's just that i need to know how much i'm gonnabe spending in parts alone and what i need to i can start getting things ready...

how much are the Si front LCA's (so i can do the 5-lug)?
how much are new engine mounts?
and how much for hte 96-98 EX harness?
and the del sol DOCH compressor braket for AC?

it seems like this is all i need... thanks

BTW.... my airbags went off... so i woudn't really want the interior in...

[Modified by type rizzy, 6:47 PM 9/3/2001]
Old 09-03-2001, 12:54 PM
New User

an easy way to find out is go to local honda dealer and ask how much for parts. then take the very expensive ones: wiring harness....maybe LCAs and try to find used. asking the dealer will give a good base line.

all my mounts new from honda were around 300. also think about putting energy suspension inserts at least if not full racing mounts. my upper left mount ripped with in 2 months. car drives fine and all but the fact that it ripped worries me.
Old 09-03-2001, 08:18 PM
New User

Default Re: exactly what from a R can go into an EK? (Dusty)

thanks
Old 09-04-2001, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ...and to add (HXMan)

nah.. you don't wanna use an Si engine harness....it's a 2 piece harness like 92-95 civics/94+ integra's. That's why I say use a 96+ EX coupe engine harness only.

Yes the 96+ EX engine harness is different than the Si coupes engine harness. Yes it's 1 piece and will pull completely out - unlike the Si coupe..

your gonna have to get use to how weird HONDA is! I'm still twitchin' everytime I think about how they are inconsistent with some things they produce...

Old 09-04-2001, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, stick with what works best honda!

Then again, they aren't thinking "what will make it easier on the gearheads that swap out engines?"

Too bad.