Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine goes in saturday!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine goes in saturday!!!

finally dropping the d16z6 into my 90 dx hatch this saturday ! it's my first swap, so a little nervous. i've got the wiring diagram for the ecu conversion, and several write ups on the conversion, plus both sets of helm manual. anything else i need or should look out for?
Old 06-06-2002, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine goes in saturday!!! (serious)

wow...are you..."serious"?

Old 06-06-2002, 06:46 AM

do you have a spare d16z6 harness? you'll need it for the injector plugs, dist plug, vtec plugs, etc.......hope you have it

I'm also assuming you have the needed obd1 plugs to solder in.....yes, you'll have to cut your harness and solder all the wires because the pins are different...you can't un pin your old harness and pin the new plugs....

hmm....let me think what else you may need......if you don't decide to cut your existing dash harness I sell a dx obd0 to obd1 sohc vtec conversion harness....it is plug and play and the only thing you need it to route the new wires (which the conversion harness includes) to the engine bay for the vtec, vtec oil, o2 heater, cyp sensor, and injectors #2 & #4.

oh, almost forgot, make sure you've got a 4 wire o2 sensor........

let me know if you need any help, I've done this conversion recently

lelopez@eng.usf.edu
Lester
Old 06-06-2002, 07:11 AM

Default Re: engine goes in saturday!!! (lelopez)

the engine i bought came with the harness, so i should be good to go on that, i also cut all the plugs off the car side of the harness and took those as well.

yup, i grabbed the ecu plugs along with a good 6" of wire. who much is the conversion kit you're selling? if i don't have to solder, i'd rather not.

the engine also came with the exhaust manifold complete with the oxygen sensor, so again, i should be good to go on that (unless there's a secondary o2 sensor further downt he exhaust, but i don't see one in the helms manual).

could you tell me how exactly the injector conversion goes i'd appreciate it. to my understanding, since i have the z6 harness and intake manifold, i don't really have to do anything except wire the ecu up correctly to get it to work.

thanks for the offer, i might have to take you up on it.
Old 06-06-2002, 09:23 AM

Default Re: engine goes in saturday!!! (hybridreams)

yes....i am.....
Old 06-06-2002, 10:14 AM

The conversion harness I sell is $125, I can email you a picture of it if you send me your email.

You will have to do some soldering, however, my harness saves you about 45 wires to be soldered.

Ok, the easiest thing to do is to convert your dx engine harness to acommodate the mpfi. I say this is the easiest way because it already plugs on each side of your strut towers......the z6 harness does not plug in so you would have to match up every wire on your dx harness to the corresponding wire on the z6 harness.....very messy and also some wires on one side of the dx harness may need to go on the opposite side of the z6 harness.

So, to modify your dx harness to make it obd1 compatible you have to solder the new injector plugs to the two wires that go to your dx injectors plus solder the remaining two injector plugs to two wires coming from the conversion harness.
that converts from 2 injectors to 4 injectors.

Your 2 current injector plugs each has a yellow/black wire....these need to be soldered to the 8 wire gray plug from the z6 harness.

About the vtec solenoid and vtec oil pressure, there are wires that come out of the conversion harness that need to be routed to these locations.....the easiest thing to do is to cut the vtec solenoid & vtec oil pressure connectors from the z6 harness and solder them into the wires coming from the conversion harness.

You need to repin your distributor to the new distributor plugs plus add the two wires for the cylinder position sensor that come out of my conversion harness....

Last but not least....you have to wire the 4 wire o2...basically you use your existing wire as your o2 signal line, wire the o2 heater wire coming from my conversion harness, wire one of the wires to the 8 wire gray plug I mentioned earlier, and the remaining wire should go to ECU ground.

I know it is a lot of soldering......it is even more if you decide to do the ECU soldering yourself.......there are ways around the soldering on the engine harness but you would have to unwrap both harnesses and take the complete wires that you need out of one, put them in the dx harness, and then wrap it again.......it is cleaner, but takes a little longer

whatever you're going to do and what way you decide to go, just have a lot of patience and make sure you follow the instructions you already have to the tee.....
It is definitely doable, I did it, some people might think I'm crazy to take on this project without a HELMS.....but it came out fine....

regardless, if you need help I'd be more than willing to give you some
more insight....

later,
Lester