Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical problem with ek... experienced help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical problem with ek... experienced help needed

posted in eg+ forum, but seems like nothin but airheads float around there... probably will post in all motor forum as well as 90% of those guys have swaps

-the car is a 98 civic dx hatchback (obd2a)
-motor is a 95 jdm gsr (b18c1 basically) obd1 (obd1 dizzy and alternator)
-ecu is a jdm p72 obd2a

SYMPTOMS:
-interior and exterior lights and blower motor noticably dim below 3.5K rpms or 51mph when on the gas

-NO vtec(maybe) but deffinately no IAB operation

-sluggish acceleration and no torque, occasional stumbling throughout the rpm range

-when cold, or restarted and still hot, car is practically inoperable due to stumbling and stalling at anything above ~5% throttle

CONDITIONS:
-usually occurs after engine has been running for quite a while, ie after a trip to or from school or ~1 hour.

-i have noticed that i do have vtec, iab, torque, acceleration and bright lights sometimes as normal after either: (A) letting car cool, but not get cold -or- (B) wiggling wiring at iab soleniod

ADDITIONAL INFO:
i do swaps, i make obd conversions.. this still has me stumped. the wiring is all correct and connections are good and plugs have solid contact. grounds are great and intact.

however i have not tested the alternator, but i strongly believe it is good, as is the battery. and i have driven this car 5+ hours at a time without any glitches except this one. basically, if it wasn't charging or couldn't charge it would've been dead long ago. as well, this is way beyond the slight dim caused by normal voltage regulation in the charging system

in searching, seems other people have had similiar problems, but no real answer has been made. the charging system is my guess, but not mechanical failure.

CHARGING SYSTEM INFO:
the alternator, is internally regulated. also it is externally "regulated" and activated by the computer according to electric load, vehicle speed, engine coolant temperature, accersories and intake air temperature. the computer uses this activation to adjust the amount of voltage generated beyond the voltage regulator's ability, creating less load on the engine. kind of a "smart" charging system.

i believe that the computer is lowering and occasionally eliminating the alternators output voltage. now i just need to know WHY?!?!

so honda-tech gurus... whats the deal here??

Old 04-05-2005, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: electrical problem with ek... experienced help needed (MonkeyMagic)

Give me an e-mail addy and I'll send you a .pdf on Honda's charging system. The link is dead but I saved the article to my harddrive.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: electrical problem with ek... experienced help needed (EE_Chris)

hondadazed@talkamerica.net

thanks for the help, anybody else got a clue?
Old 04-05-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Re: electrical problem with ek... experienced help needed (MonkeyMagic)

sent u a pm but here's a bump