Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSS Axles for H22 in Civic: Correct Lengths...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSS Axles for H22 in Civic: Correct Lengths...

i recieved my dss axles and after hearign a lot of stories about them not being long enough and whatnot, i want to make sure mine are right before i start swapping.

anyone know the EXACT length or each axle? what they're supposed to be?
Old 04-19-2003, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DSS Axles for H22 in Civic: Correct Lengths... (j.fuggi)

I think the only thing that could **** the lenghts up would be improper mounting or using a junky Ebay Mount kit...Try and see if they fit.

Suprdave
Old 04-19-2003, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DSS Axles for H22 in Civic: Correct Lengths... (Suprdave)

well, i have hasport mount kit.

and the motor isn't installed or anything yet. but i hear stories of the axles being the wrong size. i wanna make sure i have the correct sizes before i start working on the swap ya know?

Old 04-19-2003, 06:51 PM

Measure the rod lengths on both axles and let me know. I know for my passenger side it was about 14.75.. I dont have a measurement for the driver's side though..
Old 04-19-2003, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DSS Axles for H22 in Civic: Correct Lengths... (Jason kiDD)

there should be any reason to sweat it. if you told dss that you are swapping an h22 in a civic they have the right length. how else wolud they be in business??
Old 04-19-2003, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: DSS Axles for H22 in Civic: Correct Lengths... (GRTechnologies)

I just put the DSS level 1's in my EG with Hasport mounts, and it seems to me that the passenger side....I dunno, it just doesn't seem right to me.

It goes all the way in and 'clicks', the ring snaps in and everything, but the BIG socket end of the axle hub still stays about 2-3" away from the axle seal.

Should it be like this? I mean that's as far as the axle will physically go in.

It seems to me the large end of the axle hub should meet all the way to the axle seal for the most part, yes?

The drivers side only has about 1/4" gap between the large hub and the axle seal.

Should I be worried? Do you guys know what I'm talking about when I say the big section of the axle hub?
Old 04-19-2003, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DSS Axles for H22 in Civic: Correct Lengths... (hot_EG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hot_EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just put the DSS level 1's in my EG with Hasport mounts, and it seems to me that the passenger side....I dunno, it just doesn't seem right to me.

It goes all the way in and 'clicks', the ring snaps in and everything, but the BIG socket end of the axle hub still stays about 2-3" away from the axle seal.

Should it be like this? I mean that's as far as the axle will physically go in.

It seems to me the large end of the axle hub should meet all the way to the axle seal for the most part, yes?

The drivers side only has about 1/4" gap between the large hub and the axle seal.

Should I be worried? Do you guys know what I'm talking about when I say the big section of the axle hub?</TD></TR></TABLE>

see what i mean?

oh, and btw, how do i know what one is for what side? what are the numbers on the boxes?
Old 04-20-2003, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The passenger side axle has two 'male' ends.

The drivers side axle has one male, and one female end.

If you use the stock Prelude intermediate shaft, that's how it'll come.

I hope Brandon posts up and tells me about his axles because I don't want to worry about this non stop.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DSS Axles for H22 in Civic: Correct Lengths... (Jason kiDD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jason kiDD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Measure the rod lengths on both axles and let me know. I know for my passenger side it was about 14.75.. I dont have a measurement for the driver's side though..</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't know what to measure. i don't want to take off the rubber boots or anything if thats what you mean.

i just opened the boxes and now see which is which. but i'm not sure what i'm measuring.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stick the passenger side axle in the tranny and see if the large hub section is close to the axle seal.

I'd like to know how fars yours is out...cuz i swear mine literally is 3-4" away from the axle seal.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:11 PM

DSS axle lengths using HASport mounts and prelude intermediate shaft is what it should be. DSS told me they mostly have their axle measurements with the HASport mounts accordingly.

My driver side axle has no problems at all. it clicks just fine into the prelude mid shaft and torqued the axle nut to spec, drove around for 7 months w/o any problems at all.

The passenger side, however. I was having a slight problem with it. There was no 'binding' or anything of that nature, but the inner CV joint of the passenger axle for some reason wouldn't click in, and seal properly. So I was having a small leak in the tranny. I haven't had any grinding problems or anythign with the tranny (thank God), but still is annoying problem with oil going all over the place when driving the car.

I'm currently transferring everything to a 92 VX. Both cars are in my drive way torn apart to hell. I'm going to definitely make sure the passenger axle clicks in this time, and see if the lengths are exactly right.

I am hoping it's just the pin that 'clicks' in that was too small.

With measuring, I'll go ahead and measure both of my axles, and (from the end of one CV joint to the other end of the CV joint) and post up the measurements.

As for torquing and putting on the axle nut on the wheel hub, you shouldn't have any problems with that. Mine on both sides went in all the way and was able to torque the nut to spec.

It's just the passenger axle wouldn't 'click' into the tranny and seal properly. I called DSS about it and they stated if I was having a problem with it to send it back to them to have them take a look at it.

But we'll see what happens in a couple days when I get the H22 into the VX.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:39 PM

Default Re: DSS Axles for H22 in Civic: Correct Lengths... (poison)

I am also using DSS stage one axles, they both went in without any problem. I have only driven the car a little bit cuz I am not done with everything yet, but so far I have not noticed anything wrong with them, im not using hasport mounts, but if you want me to measure mine Iwill.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DSS Axles for H22 in Civic: Correct Lengths... (poison)

I got both axles to 'click' into place....a good click at that

However, my concern lies with where the large hub meets the tranny/axle seals.....on every axle i've ever seen (on any car), the large hub meets almost immediately at the tranny seal.

On both of my axles, but the passenger side in particular, the splines click in place, but the LARGE hub section doesn't meet all the way to the tranny. It sits about 3-4" away.....axle clicks in fine, and is seated as far in as it will possibly go in the tranny, but it just seems like there shouldn't be that large of a gap?

It wouldn't really concern me, but the fact that stock, and all other cars I've seen...this section sits literally right up against the tranny. I mean it makes a great place to pop the axle out with a screwdriver..that's how close i'm used to seeing it.

I wish I had way to get a picture up....or Brandon, if you've somehow got a pic of your passenger side axle from underneath, I'd love to see it to compare to mine.

Old 04-20-2003, 06:38 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hot_EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got both axles to 'click' into place....a good click at that

However, my concern lies with where the large hub meets the tranny/axle seals.....on every axle i've ever seen (on any car), the large hub meets almost immediately at the tranny seal.

On both of my axles, but the passenger side in particular, the splines click in place, but the LARGE hub section doesn't meet all the way to the tranny. It sits about 3-4" away.....axle clicks in fine, and is seated as far in as it will possibly go in the tranny, but it just seems like there shouldn't be that large of a gap?

It wouldn't really concern me, but the fact that stock, and all other cars I've seen...this section sits literally right up against the tranny. I mean it makes a great place to pop the axle out with a screwdriver..that's how close i'm used to seeing it.

I wish I had way to get a picture up....or Brandon, if you've somehow got a pic of your passenger side axle from underneath, I'd love to see it to compare to mine.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Jon, I know I talked to ya via IM, but anyway you can post that up here?
I lost the picture heh.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

setup
HCP mounts
accord halfshaft
89 teg pass axle
91 driver side axle

both my axle "clicked" in the trans but the 89 axle kept backing out 1" and leaked MTF oil. I decided to take the 89 axle out and open the "C" a little and hammered the axle into the trans and it clicked in and has never backed out or leaked MTF oil again. Now I have to find out why the halshaft is leaking. The little cup thing on the halfshaft never would stay in place so I just cut it off, but I dont think thats why its leaking though.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:51 PM

Default Re: (fastwanabe)

that's what I'm thinkin the problem is. opening up the C pin on the passenger axle.

have to hammer that thing in there.

that cup thing on the half shaft doesn't do much I don't think. hope you get that prob fixed man
Old 04-20-2003, 08:42 PM

hehe Let me know what you guys have found out. You all know my issues already but since sending back the too long passenger side axle everything is seemingly okay. And BTW, the car is back up and running now without any major issues..
Old 04-21-2003, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jason kiDD)

With my DSS Level 1's, and Hasports, the inside end of the inner CV joint on both axles, with the axle FULLY into the tranny/halfshaft as far as they'll go, is exactly 1" away from the seals.

I'm just slightly worried about this because i've always seen the end of the joint literally right up against the seals.

I know the axles are as far in as they can go, because I've measured the internal depth.

Anybody else's like this?

Old 04-21-2003, 11:01 AM

Default Re: (hot_EG)

oh no. now im scared. i got dss stage ones as well. im using a hasport mount kit and prelude mid shaft. i should begin my swap this weekend so if i can ill let you know if i have the same issue. one thing though,when did you get your axles? for some reason my cv boots are green and yours look black(maybee its the pic).
Old 04-21-2003, 11:11 AM

Default Re: (hondaeg5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaeg5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh no. now im scared. i got dss stage ones as well. im using a hasport mount kit and prelude mid shaft. i should begin my swap this weekend so if i can ill let you know if i have the same issue. one thing though,when did you get your axles? for some reason my cv boots are green and yours look black(maybee its the pic).
</TD></TR></TABLE>

those are a picture of the axles I have. The boots are black and I got 'em in Sept of 02 (stage 1's). Are you sure you didn't receive 'level 1's?
Old 04-21-2003, 11:15 AM

Default Re: (poison)

i dont know. thats what i ordered. i hope i got something better. lol. frank even called me to confirm my order.

edit: now i see what you mean to me. whats the difference? i was just on the site but i couldnt figure it out.

Modified by hondaeg5 at 3:26 PM 4/21/2003
Old 04-21-2003, 12:04 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (poison)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that's what I'm thinkin the problem is. opening up the C pin on the passenger axle.

have to hammer that thing in there.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup, that's what I said to do a few months back and it works.... the axle will not pop out on you

As for the inner joint, you can use the Prelude inner joint also since the cup on it is deeper and will allow for more play. Also, not everybody's car is the same. I've seen some people have to use some odd axle combos and then their car drives perfect with no binding. It all depends but for the most part, the axle combos that are given is what most people use.