Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily Driven Crvtec.....Hondata or Chipped p28 with v-tec controller

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily Driven Crvtec.....Hondata or Chipped p28 with v-tec controller

I'm debating...should i get a hondata stage 2 setup or a chipped p28 for my crvtec, which is mildly modified, pistons head work etc....... I plan on going daily driven and only using the power when needed ( mustangs, camoros, and lil primered up hondas at red lights) I'm not gonna say money is no object but i will say I'm willing to pay 2oo-300 for a good ecu chip for the p28, but if it's worth it i'll hold off for another month to get a hondata stage 2. If i do get a hondata can i use the p28 ecu?? I'm not going out all and tuning my ride to run like 12 secs or something, yet i do want all the potential of my motor, as I'm sure everyone is. If i go chipped p28, I'll also buy a vtec controller. so i have options, and i do appriciate the thoughts and opinions of everyone on the forum. If i do get a hondata will i need a v-tec controller still?? Thanks for your time and reading my post.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Daily Driven Crvtec.....Hondata or Chipped p28 with v-tec controller (Dragger817)

i would do hondata ,and yes you can still run P28
you will get alot more out of the motor if you do hondata
no you will not need a vafc.http://hondata.com/

thats what i'm running on my ls/vtec
Old 02-01-2003, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Daily Driven Crvtec.....Hondata or Chipped p28 with v-tec controller (Dragger817)

I think I can answer this the best since I was in your situation once.

I have a stock JDM b20b bottomend & a stock b16a head w/ cam gears.

I started out w/ a chipped p28 & a VAFC. Made good power & my band was good. I didnt really have any problems w/ this.

I was going to build up my engine, so I took that chipped P28 & Hondata'd it w/ stage 4. The Hondata made lil power over the previous setup & it was frustrating to learn compared to the VAFC. I should have just found someone that could chip it for me as the burner kept messing up & eventually fried all my spare chips. Much easier than the EMS.

I then went to an AEM EMS. That was kind of a mistake, kinda not. Kinda because it needs you to tune everything down to the idle maps. Im not good @ this stuff & my friend has helped me out a lot. It made the best powerband so far & if you can learn this, it will be the best system. I am sticking w/ it... hard as it is. Definitely needs lots of dyno time w/ this setup or a very understanding person.

I will be messing w/ setups a lot, so I am going to keep them both.

I left out a lot... any questions... I will gladly answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Pete

Old 02-01-2003, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Daily Driven Crvtec.....Hondata or Chipped p28 with v-tec controller (turbodav)

How or who would do the programming for me if i get a hondata system?? would i have to get a shop to do it for me??
Old 02-01-2003, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want a stage 2... then you would have to have someone else do it for you.

I dont know where you live. http://www.hondata.com & look up their tuners & people w/ stage 4 units. That is the only way to get your Hondata re-chipped.

Pete
Old 02-01-2003, 09:20 PM

Hondata by far is better. It may cost you a little now, rather then cost you a lot later.

HTH
Old 02-02-2003, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Daily Driven Crvtec.....Hondata or Chipped p28 with v-tec controller (ekb18c)

Hondata by far is better. It may cost you a little now, rather then cost you a lot later.

HTH
It would help a lot more if you would please describe why the Hondata by far is better instead of just stating it. I would like to know why you chose this system over anything else, esp to sell it.

Thank you,

Pete
Old 02-02-2003, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Daily Driven Crvtec.....Hondata or Chipped p28 with v-tec controller (pest)

Well I can give you countless reasons why Hondata is better. First off if you had problem with your Hondata originally, its because you don't know how to tune it.
Secondly Hondata uses your stock Honda computer. I would rather retain my stock Honda ecu, with a company that invests more money into R&D than any other car manufacture. AEM is just some "lil" aftermarket company. You can't go anywhere with a chipped ecu if your aiming more hp, because then you gotta bump up the fuel. Hondata has datalogging, WideBand Tuning, three stage rev limiter for drag launch, full throttle shift, the list is endless.
If I could have it my way and had the cash I would get Motec, however if you are comparing a chipped ecu to Hondata, well then you are comparing apples to oranges.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Daily Driven Crvtec.....Hondata or Chipped p28 with v-tec controller (LsVTeCTuRBo17)

I never had problems w/ Hondata... I had problems w/ the programmer. I had 3 blow up on me. Hondata knows this is a problem & so do the Pocket Programmer people. I talked to a couple of dealers & some of them went thru several Programmers, too. I wish we didnt have to use those & we could chip via a plug into the ecu deal like AEM. That is the main thing I like about the AEM & hate w/ Hondata.

Pete
Old 02-02-2003, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Daily Driven Crvtec.....Hondata or Chipped p28 with v-tec controller (LsVTeCTuRBo17)

AEM is just some "lil" aftermarket company.
i hope u were joking
Old 02-02-2003, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Daily Driven Crvtec.....Hondata or Chipped p28 with v-tec controller (pest)

The choice was hondata or chipped p28.

hondata will cost more then chipped p28, however you will have full control over fuel and ignition maps etc... You can tailor your map to the motor.

With the p28 you cant change anything and you don't even know if the program is right for you car.

Choice is quite easy.

edit- I had problems with the programmer also, but it was my fualt. I blew a few programers over the years.

[Modified by ekb18c, 1:27 PM 2/2/2003]
Old 02-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Daily Driven Crvtec.....Hondata or Chipped p28 with v-tec controller (irev210)

AEM is just some "lil" aftermarket company.

i hope u were joking
Um.... no I was not joking if you read my whole post. AEM IS A SMALL COMPANY IN COMPARISON TO HONDA!!!! WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY IS THAT IF YOU USE AN AEM COMP, YOU DONT HAVE THE advantages of keeping your stock ecu.
Furthermore if your programmer keeps blowing up that is something that you are doing wrong. I have never had that problem.

[Modified by LsVTeCTuRBo17, 1:48 PM 2/2/2003]
Old 02-02-2003, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Furthermore if your programmer keeps blowing up that is something that you are doing wrong. I have never had that problem.

[Modified by LsVTeCTuRBo17, 1:48 PM 2/2/2003]

I wish that were the case. I went step by step the first time via the instructions. Then, Hondata sent me to a guy named Geoff & we walked through it together on the 2nd one. Needless to say, I went through that one, then the 3rd one & thats when I ordered the AEM cuz I couldnt do anything w/ my Hondata. I was frustrated, but oh well.

Pete
Old 02-02-2003, 04:57 PM

So which stage should i purchase??
Old 02-02-2003, 09:33 PM

The only reason i ahve seen the pocket programmer burn out is because of in correct use. the main reason was the volatge settings when you first connect to a vehicle you need to immediately download a rom image to it. thats the only problem i have seen. but other wise hondata is the best bet. find a hondta dealer with the tuning capabilites. you should consult with a hondata dealer to see what system best fits you needs then go from there. by far hondata is better than any chipped ecu. just for the record i have seen chipped ecu's make more than hondata but they motor didnt last .. basic reason incorrect fuel and timing maps. pushes the motor to the limit and make more power but what do you want reliablity or power? doesnt make any sense to make power if you only blast the car down the track once. also i have used vtec controllers they do work to a point but they are a crude way to tune you vehicle. the way the vtec controller work is to minipulate the map sensor but at the same time it messes with the timming which is horrible when you are tryin gto tune the motor to it most efficent point.. on more thing hondata is cheaper than a vfac so you wouild be getting the most bang for your buck by just getting a stock p28 and hondata.. the hondata controls vtec fuel timing etc the list goes on. as for primered car what is wrong with a primed car?? anyway good luck do some mope home work and dont come to cali and role up on my primered car you might get a surprise!!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2003, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Daily Driven Crvtec.....Hondata or Chipped p28 with v-tec controller (TEAMGENDAI)

anyway good luck do some mope home work and dont come to cali and role up on my primered car you might get a surprise!!!!!!!
HaHa thats what i ment with them primed up cars, you never know whats sitting under all that primer, as for cali I'm originally from kali, and i'm in texas now, but i'll be back in Daygo in a couple months, I'll be sure to keep an eye for a primered car on the freeways Thanks for the info!!!!
Old 02-16-2003, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Daily Driven Crvtec.....Hondata or Chipped p28 with v-tec controller (TEAMGENDAI)

you said messin w/ the map sensor is bad and timing... I have a VENOM400 on my CRV swap w/ my distibutor all the way advanced on low octain gas (its not pinging though). Will the Venom make my motor live a short life??? it feels stronger w/ it and keeps the power band going w/ out it falling off so soon. err...
Old 02-17-2003, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Daily Driven Crvtec.....Hondata or Chipped p28 with v-tec controller (Typesi2nv)

if u dont plan on tuning the motor yourself, which it doesnt sound like....get a s100, mod everything u want to mod on your motor and go dyno tune it, 1-2 hrs, usually 1, will give u pretty much all the power u will get outta ur motor, and call it a day, no need for the vafc or even the s200.

btw, i daily drive a crvtec with hondata stage 2
Old 02-17-2003, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Daily Driven Crvtec.....Hondata or Chipped p28 with v-tec controller (There is no sp00n!)

Hey There is no sp00n i was wondering if i could e-mail you or something, I just wanna ask some questions about the crvtec motor you got, or e-mail me at dragmaster123@aol.com