Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder & Booster Upgrade Questions??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder & Booster Upgrade Questions??

Okay I think that I want to get this done before I actually start putting in the engine, however just wanted to know if the ITR cylinder and Booster can be used in my 93 DX??? Or would it be easier just to use a GSR one??

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cylinder & Booster Upgrade Questions?? (Jason kiDD)

I found that the ITR master cylinder/booster is easier to install since you can just re-bend the tubing to match up. The GSR MC I have has one outlet that's a larger size.

Some people claim to have GSR MC's with equal-size outlets, though I haven't seen these in person.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Cylinder & Booster Upgrade Questions?? (JeffS)

Hey thanks alot. Are you speaking from experience though or just from reading?? I want to know at least one other person that did it so I know its not going to take 2 days to get done..
Old 04-29-2002, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally, I have a 93 CX hatchback with an ITR master cylinder and brake booster in it. Right beside it in the garage is the GSR master cylinder I was speaking of. So yes... it's from experience. I very carefully re-bent the existing brake lines to line up with the ITR mc and everything hooked right up. If I ever pull the engine again though I would run new lines to the proportioning valve. If you're feeling industrious, or have experience bending brake line, then I might suggest just running two new lines. This really would be a better setup. In this case, it wouldn't matter at all whether you used the ITR or GSR parts. If you don't feel comfortable doing this and want to try bending the lines, the ITR will work.

Again, I have "heard" (messageboard rumors) that there are GSR mc's that have the same size outlets, but the one in my garage has one small (same as civic) and one large outlet so I would have definitely had to put a new end on the line. This information is accurate for a CX. I've never seen a DX to know if anything is different, but I'm guessing not.

Unfortunately, due to shipping timing and a mistake on my part, I didn't swap the mc/booster until AFTER we had dropped in the B18C1. It was a pain in the *** to get it in, but it can be done.

good luck
Old 04-29-2002, 06:27 PM

Cool thanks, and dont think I was doubting you or anything but I have asked others and they said that it didnt line up so I just wanted to know of someone that did have one that was working, even if new lines had to be made..

Thanks again.
Old 04-29-2002, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait a minute... there's a difference between the lines fitting and "lining up".

The brake lines do NOT line up with either the GSR or the ITR master cylinder. What I'm discussing is the size of the brake line fitting. I just want to be clear that I bent the lines by hand (very carefully) to get them to line up. it's either this or make new lines.

Hope I didn't mislead you.
Old 04-29-2002, 08:42 PM

No I understood that either way I would have to bend a few lines with either one, but I just wanted to know if the ITR was easier than GSR or visa versa...

The reason why your GSR didnt work was because it probably was for the ABS version of the car...
Old 04-29-2002, 09:10 PM

I put in a master cylinder and booster in my Cx. The two different sized 'fittings" suck. I tried to find a way to reduce the fitting but haven't been lucky. I guess I'll have to get a new brake line and put a smaller fitting on the proportion valve side and a larger one on the master cylinder side. Anyone know the sizes of fittings? Where you can get them? How many ft. should you get?
Old 04-30-2002, 05:14 AM

Default Re: Cylinder & Booster Upgrade Questions?? (TodaSi)

Which one are you using by chance?? GSR or ITR??
Year, model??