Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CRV drivetrain into Civic hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 07:29 PM
I should know better

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRV drivetrain into Civic hatch?

OK, do not flame me cuz I previously owned 2 hybrids. I dont have either one now, but I was thinking of what I might do if I were to build another. So, I have a question. It may have been addressed already, but Im still curious and havent found anything about it anywhere on this site. So here goes. Frankenstein swaps are getting pretty well out there now. Type R head on the B20 CRV block. Now, its a B series and people are generally using Type R or GS R or LS trannies. So I was wondering how feasible it would be to some how modify a CRV tranny with GS R or Type R gears, and then modify the drive shaft and rear end of the CRV for install into a Civic hatchback. I know itd be pretty damn expensive, and recquire ALOT of modification, but i think it could work. Anyone ever try this or know of anyone who tried it? Anything can be accomplished, just depends how much money you can or will spend. So anyway, just curious. I just think an all wheel drive Civic with a Frankenstein swap would be pretty nice. Im basically looking for any feedback here, preferrably from people who know what theyre talking about. Thanx.
Old 01-05-2002, 07:56 PM
Banned

Default Re: CRV drivetrain into Civic hatch? (CiviChriSiR2)

Im pretty sure everyone has thought of this...I have never heard of somone doing this
Old 01-06-2002, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: CRV drivetrain into Civic hatch? (On Point EK)

My wifey drives a crv.

The drive shaft and rear axles look pretty wimpy. I dont think they could hold much power.
Old 01-06-2002, 06:17 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: CRV drivetrain into Civic hatch? (Slopoke)

I had thought of this years ago before the CR-V came out - only I was thinking of the older Civic Wagon 4WD set-up instead.

I think it could be done, but it would cost a lot of money/time and like stated above, the axle and rear end would not support much horsepower.

Both the old Civic Wagon and the CR-V use the same set-up pretty much. Biggest difference is that the old Civic obviously bolts to the D-series motors

CR-V set-up would bolt onto the B-series stuff

Here's the main thing though:

You KNOW there's plenty of rich, bored Honda people out there who could have done this, but WHY have we never seen it? Maybe they know something that we don't about it...

Old 01-06-2002, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRV drivetrain into Civic hatch? (CiviChriSiR2)

Hey!
I too have thought about doing this; but, for my GSR. There was a guy that worked at a shop here in Washington (Max autoworks) and had all the resources available to him and he was going to do it on his GSR. After he did his, he was going to help me do the same to my gsr. He said that he already had a totalled CRV, and was just waiting on some parts from Japan. That was about three years ago. I heard about a year ago he sold it and got a '95 GSX.
For what ever reason he didn't finish it. I know it wasn't a lack of resources or funds- it may have been too time consuming. I wouldn't think that it would be all that difficult. The chasis are the same- I think. This guy and the shop he worked at was really hyped up on doing this, but for what ever reason this guy didn't complete it. Seemed odd to me. But I think there is definately something that makes it more difficult than it seems.....