Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completed engine swap...now I have a list of problems...pls help

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2001, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completed engine swap...now I have a list of problems...pls help

I had the opportunity to swap out my engine and auto tranny with a newer engine and manual tranny. This is why I did it: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=52763 Now I have a few minor problems I need to take care of:
1) most import issue: car is running really rich (I think) and black smoke is blowing out the rear end when I shift. Possibly a bad O2 sensor? I took it to the shop that did the swap and they said that the O2 sensor is located under the intake manifold and suggested I replace them. The Acura dude says there is no such thing, but there is one on the car...for $200+. Before I make that investment someone please advise on what I should do.

2) half of the front bumper blinkers no longer works. The ones pointing forward still work, but the side ones don't...already checked the bulb, there are fine.

3) intermitten wind shield wiper went dead, and when I turn off the normal speed wipers (which work fine) they stop at the spot where I turn them off...another words they don't go back to the resting place. What is going on here?

4) reverse lights do not work...mechanic says he runs into this problem with every auto-to-manual swap. Is this true? If so anyone know a remedy?

Old 09-22-2001, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Completed engine swap...now I have a list of problems...pls help (chikai)

what code(s) is it throwing? That should help you out on the O2 sensor debate. As far as the other stuff go...check all your fuses under the dash. Verify that all the wiring is hooked up, and check the bulbs. Shops like that shouldnt even be open...what a bunch of fools. You should not have anyproblems with that. Check to see that the reverse switch on the front side of the tranny is plugged in and tight.

HTH-Jason
Old 09-22-2001, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Completed engine swap...now I have a list of problems...pls help (chikai)

I took it to the shop that did the swap and they said that the O2 sensor is located under the intake manifold and suggested I replace them.
What crack heads!

Do you have any check engine codes?

Now, when you say you have black smoke blowing out the tail pipe...is that all the time when you shift or only when you **** at WOT(wide open throttle)??

I am not sure about the reverse thing.....
Old 09-22-2001, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Completed engine swap...now I have a list of problems...pls help (HXMan)

I checked all fuses and they seem to work fine. There is no code being thrown anywhere. Nothing on my dash is blinking. I do get really shitty gas mileage, like 16-18mpg.

When my buddy was behind me I was at full throttle, that's when he saw the black **** come out my rear end. Does that help any?
Old 09-22-2001, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm...if you are at WOT...then the fuel injection is determined by ECU fuel maps only....O2 sensors have nothing to do with fuel injection at that time.

You may want to check your fuel pressure regulator, check for a sticking injector, and check your spark plugs.

Oh, my friends Civic Ex that had 110,000+ miles on it spit black **** out of it when he shifted at WOT...but I think that was due to worn rings.

What swap do you have? I have a b16a2 swap. Average milage...28-32 mpg.