Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code 43 and leaking tranny

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code 43 and leaking tranny

Setup: b20 turbo w/ls tranny, obd0 pr4 ecu in a CRX.

How do I fix a code 43? I replaced the fuel filter and 02 sensor already. What else could it be?

Also the ls tranny leaks around the passenger side axle. I replaced the oil seal twice. It held up for about 2 days then started to leak again. There is an unsual amount play where the axle goes into the tranny. I can move the inner joint up and down quite a bit. I'm not sure if that's usual or not. What could be the problem there?

Thanks,
Brad
Old 04-07-2003, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Code 43 and leaking tranny (Brad)

bump...anyone?
Old 04-07-2003, 05:32 AM

I can move the inner joint up and down quite a bit. I'm not sure if that's usual or not. What could be the problem there?
Thats definately not usual. I wish I knew what the problem is, but all I know is it shouldnt be loose like that. Did the car shake when you would drive it? It sounds like something inside the tranny where the axle ends go in is broken.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Code 43 and leaking tranny (drjondurst)

It doesn't really shake, it just vibrates, which I guess is from the hasport mounts. I think it is something on the inside of the tranny too. If I were to open it up what should I inspect or look for? Thanks.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as for the coad the fule presur is roung, i did a swap in a 89 hach (b18b) the fule presur was to high, i think the coad has something to do with the duty cycle of the fule pump . so start with the presure. , good luck
dash
Old 04-08-2003, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you do a DPFI to MPFI wiring conversion? Some people throw a code for that after that MPFI wiring, including my 91 CRX DX with 96 B18B1. I've talked to quite a few people so it's not an uncommon thing. I replaced the fuel filter and upgraded to a GSR fuel pump and the CEL 43 has not shown up since and that was well over a year ago.
As for the tranny seal, which mounts are you using? Could be an axle/motor placement issue. But since you talked about the inner joint has excessive play, the joint my be worn/broke causing it to pull loose enough to leak and wear out the seal.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Code 43 and leaking tranny (VTECVillain)

The car is an si so it already had the mpfi wiring. Is the si fuel pump different from the dx?

For the tranny, I'm using hasport mounts, though I had the same setup axles and all with a b16a\s1 combo and there were no problems. I'm thinking about taking apart the tranny, but I'm not sure I'd be able to tell what's wrong even if it's apart....
Old 04-09-2003, 08:39 AM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Brad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Setup: b20 turbo w/ls tranny, obd0 pr4 ecu in a CRX.

How do I fix a code 43? I replaced the fuel filter and 02 sensor already. What else could it be?</TD></TR></TABLE>

With the turbo setup, what aftermarket hi-flow fuel pump are you using, if any? If you don't have one, then you need one, especially with a turbo setup or you're going to run too lean. You need that and a boost-dependent fuel pressure regulator (Vortech/Bosch 12:1 works good) as well.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Brad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also the ls tranny leaks around the passenger side axle. I replaced the oil seal twice. It held up for about 2 days then started to leak again. There is an unsual amount play where the axle goes into the tranny. I can move the inner joint up and down quite a bit. I'm not sure if that's usual or not. What could be the problem there?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you already changed the axle seal no the transmission (the rubber ring that goes on the transmission... cost like $2 from Honda), then expand the snap ring (the "C" clip) on the end of your axle with needle nose pliers just a little bit, and then shove the axle back in, using a 2x4 board to hammer it in if needed (cause it's going to be tight, but that's what you want so it won't leak from there). If that doesn't stop the leaking, better check the transmission housing to make sure you don't have a hole of leak from there.