Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch 22...Reliability VS Performance

Old 06-04-2001, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Catch 22...Reliability VS Performance

Okay...I need more power with the hybrid. Don't get me wrong...its a ton of fun right now, but I think I need MORE.

I'd really like to stay ALL MOTOR. It yields so much more respect and it's fairly reliable compared to FI.

Sometimes I think FI would be easier though... JRSC or a nice Drag Gen III kit. Maybe even N20, but I really don't want to be refilling bottles all the damn time.

Please give me some *honest* suggestions you feel would be the best alternative.

Keep in mind this hybrid is still my daily driver and $$ is a factor. I'd like to get the best bang for the buck, without compromising reliability TOO much.
Old 06-04-2001, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Catch 22...Reliability VS Performance (Yellow Dragon)

I don't know that N/A reliability is any greater than F/I reliability. Revving the engine to 10,500 RPM is going to put as much, if not more stress on the rods than running some insane amounts of boost at 8000 RPM. It all depends on how often you want to beat on it... for instance, just a little more stop-and-go power would seem to mean you want a supercharger, since you probably don't spend all that much time up at 8K rpm. If you DO do that, then you'd probably want a turbo, since they're more geared towards the top end.

Heck, even NOS is a good idea if you're built for it. You only use it as often as you want, and you've gotta admit there's something sweet about flipping a switch (or going WOT) and gaining 65hp or whatever .

I'd IM sgT about N/A building... he is, after all, the guru!
Old 06-05-2001, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The JRSC makes your car feel like you have a huge V6!! I could pull off from 5.0s at 4500rpm on the highway. I had some problems with the pullies but Jackson took care of those. I WANT MY CAR BACK!!!
Old 06-05-2001, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There really isn't much in the way of reliability and performance, you can have both. I'm running N/A and will for many years to come. I would suggest a lightened flywheel 475 from JUN. I don't know what your budget is so I might be in the high price range. What rims are you runnin??? that makes a huge difference. Is your car gutted??? there's a free power to weight adder. Looked at cams??? well they get expensive cause you have to buy a new ecm... but sometimes you can find a good deal. Let me know how much you want to spend and i can try to find some things that will fit into your budget.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:57 AM
New User

Default Re: Catch 22...Reliability VS Performance (advanracing62)

I have in the same shoe as well. I have a 1991 Integra 91. The car is my everyday car with 155K miles on. I would like to add more power and at the same time keep the reliability as well. Even with 155K miles, the car drives like its 2 years old.
What kind of $ am I looking at ? Would you recommand going ls/vtec or just build up the ls motor ? I think my budget is around $5k.

My goal is the drive it for another 10 years.
joe
Old 06-05-2001, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Catch 22...Reliability VS Performance (91int)

if you want to stay N/A then I would suggest ls-vtec, i don't know much about them as far as reliability and such. I built one for a friend and he hasn't had any trouble with it, been about four years now. If you want to go FI then I would suggest starting with a smaller turbo like an eclipse set up. Think you'd be lookin under a grand for 7 psi. I don't know exactly how wild you want to get. I have done basically everything there is to do to my engine except for cams and FI. I have built a number of engines that run FI and N/A so I have some idea what you want to do. Honestly though with the number of miles I would do ls-vtec and go from there, you can always boost later.
Old 06-07-2001, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Catch 22...Reliability VS Performance (FUCATYPR)

That's the first person I've heard from that is happy with their JRSC!! Of course he has an $800 valve cover too...