Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car cranks but wont start. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car cranks but wont start. HELP!

OK, ill make it long and detailed. (Sorry, but i need help!)
car- 91 Teg RS
motor- i just rebuilt the WHOLE FREKIN MOTOR, pretty much new EVERYTHING!
LS block-B16a1 pistons, LS rods, total seal rings. new crank and rod bearings. B16a1 head, cleaned up w/ new valve guides, CTR intake cam GSR EX cam, B16a1 Tranny stock flywheel, clutch net clutch, B16a1 OBD 0 ECU. new 190 GPH fuel pump. New denso plugs, from a GSR, stock GSR plug wires. The only thing i didn't change was the cap n rotor. (i ordered the wrong one, but we are getting spark all the way to the plug, so...)
The car has been sitting for about a year with no motor in it. (That's how I got it) We drained the gas tank, and put in some 93.

OK, the deal- We dropped the motor in, and it started with minimal ease, but it sounded rough. After like 5 min. we heard a slight thumping noise. It was a loose #3 rod bolt! oops! (i guess the ARP bolts didn't seat all the way when i torqued it down) No damage, so I re checked the torque on the bottom end. all good in the hood.
The car then started right up, and the motor sounded great!
But there was a noise in the tranny. I changed the throw out before, so it must be the pilot barring. (DooH!)
So we take the tranny off , clutch n flywheel off, and change this frekin bearing.
The only thing we messed with while the tranny was off was the VTEC, and o2 wiring to the ECU.
So, we Put the tranny back on, the motor cranks, but wont start!!
We can hear the fuel pump, we have fuel all the way to the rail pressure is at 48, coil is good, spark to the plugs, we can hear compression, tried the stock LS ECU, dis connected the VTEC n 02 wires we put, checked the fuses, added more 93 from another station, dry gas...WTF!
It just cranks, and cranks. The motor sounds good, like it wants to start, but wont kick over. It sounds like no fuel, or no spark, but we have that. I didn't check the timing on the cams cuz i got lazy @ 1am, but i never touched the belt, we were just on the tranny side...
Thanks to whom ever read this long *** post, but I am dumbfounded. (or just dumb
Thanks for any help in advance,
Hank
Old 07-19-2003, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Car cranks but wont start. HELP! (Hankish)

so it run before you pulled the trans? I would check all the connetions. Trans ground.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car cranks but wont start. HELP! (turbogixxer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so it run before you pulled the trans? I would check all the connetions. Trans ground.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would definently check out that tranny ground.