Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a 92 Integra be converted to use a hydro transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a 92 Integra be converted to use a hydro transmission?

I'm having some tranny woes if you can't tell from reading my other post. I have heard that it is possible to convert 90-93 Integra's to hydraulic transmissions by using the Place Racing mount, and getting the clutch slave/lines and other hardware needed to do this. Has anyone done this or seen it done? Have Pictures? Please help me. I have 3 trannies sitting around, and would prefer to use the hydro ys1 I have from a GSR.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Can a 92 Integra be converted to use a hydro transmission? (HONDA_TYPE_R)

If I understand you correctly you have a mechanically actuated clutch system in your integra and you want to know if you can set up your car to use a transmission that was designed to use a hydraulically actuated system. If that is the question then the answer is probably yes. Instead of having to plumb the hydraulic slave you instead like what Hasport did it mechanically actuate the hydraulic tranny. I have a 88 CRX Si with a B18c motor in it. When I bought it the tranny was a YS1. While those trannies have great gear ratios the synchros are not as stout as some later hydro trannies (from what I have been told). Anyway I yanked out the YS1 and installed the USDM type R "hydro"tranny with the JDM final drive. I bought the billet aluminum Hasport mechanical actuator kit and installed it. It works great IMHO. The clutch has a good feel to it. Not vague. No missed shifts or other problems. I only have about 300 miles on the set up but it looks well designed and is smooth as butter. This set up really opens up your options on putter in a stouter and close ratio tranny.
http://hasport.com/shop/produc...id=32
Barry H.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Can a 92 Integra be converted to use a hydro transmission? (HONDA_TYPE_R)

Yes you could use the HASport cable to hydro kit made for the EF B series but the mount won't work. Basically the HASport kit changes the salve cylinder into an actuator, converting the hydro tranny to cable actuated. That would be the easiest method, of course you will have to fab and/or mod an upper tranny mount.
Then there would be the full hydro conversion which would require installing the clutch master and salve cylinder, hydro lines and would be a little bit of extra work. The parts could be taken from any 92-95 Civic or 94-01 Integra, possibly other models as well. Again you will have to fab and/or mod an upper tranny mount.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Can a 92 Integra be converted to use a hydro transmission? (VTECVillain)

I know that Place Racing makes a mount for the Integra's so they can use a hydro tranny. How much is it like $200? I don't mind buying the whole hydro setup, clutch master, clutch slave, hydro clutch pedal, and whatever else I may need. I don't think Hasport will sell me just the EF mount. I may call to find out though. Does Hasport include whatever you will need to convert the slave to cable actuation? Sorry for the q's, but I have a lot of money invested in this already.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can call Hasport and buy just the "lever assembly" as they call it. It comes with everything you need, EXCEPT the transmission mount itself, which you can either make, or buy from Place Racing if they still make them..

The lever assembly (Hasport part number EFBHCL) is $199 plus shipping..

-joe
Old 08-29-2004, 08:15 PM

Another option would be to run the 92+ gearset of your choice in a 92-93 YS1 case. The YS1 internals are identical to 94+ hydro transmission internals. The post above suggesting that they are weaker is incorrect -- possibly the 90-91 units, but not the YS1. The LS-geared YS1 is a good donor case, and can be had cheaply if you buy a grinding one like I did.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Can a 92 Integra be converted to use a hydro transmission? (acy76)

$199? OUCH!!! I wanted to do this as cheap as possible...then agian why skimp when it's power. Does anyone know how much the Place Racing mount is (yes the still make it)? I'm not very savy with trannies yet. I have never cracked one open and taken it apart. I may be soon though.