Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C system disconnected...info on recharge

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 01:30 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C system disconnected...info on recharge

A freind of mine did a swap on his 93 ex. Before asking me about some specifics, he disconnected the a/c lines from the compressor, when I told him afterwards to just let it dangle while off the bracket. Anyways, the system is completey discharged now. Question is: Can we successful recharge the system somewhat with a charge kit from the auto parts store? Or...does he take it to get recharged at a shop. Thanks
Old 08-01-2002, 04:34 PM

Default Re: A/C system disconnected...info on recharge (lshatchturbo)

get a shop to recharge it so it will work good but DO NOT get it retro fitted with the newer type a/c charge it doesnt get no where near as cold
Old 08-01-2002, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C system disconnected...info on recharge (dose)

you should have a shop recharge it for you, "home" recharge kits at autoparts stores only have the ability to rechage the system with refrigerant but not evacuate the a/c system of air, you since the lines were exposed for an extended period of time, you're goin to have to change the reciever drier too, as it will become saturated within a matter of hours of exposure. so goto a shop and have it replaced, evacuate the system of air, and then recharge the system (evacuate + recharge should be in the same process, they dont charge extra for this, its a neccessary step) hth
Old 08-01-2002, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: A/C system disconnected...info on recharge (CIVICtypeS)

if the system is completely dry, you are going to have to more than likely get a new dryer. it's basically just a lil filter in there and if it's not correctly discharged, it usually crumples apart if all the freon is just let leaked out like so. it's really a big headache. like CIVICtypeS sated...if it's been more than just a few hours, you're going to have to do the whole bit. you're probably going to need new gaskets/o-rings as well....... just take it to a shop.

Question: why was it disconnected in the first place? you can easily do a swap with the compressor and everything still hooked up.

And whoever said about the retrofit kits, YES, it will get as cold as R12...if done properly. I'm getting mine converted soon....i paid over $100 just to pay for the R12 alone..it's getting ridiculous.
Old 08-02-2002, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C system disconnected...info on recharge (hot_EG)

if the system is completely dry, you are going to have to more than likely get a new dryer. it's basically just a lil filter in there and if it's not correctly discharged, it usually crumples apart if all the freon is just let leaked out like so. it's really a big headache
actually the reciever drier basically has a "sack" of dessicant, same stuff found in new shoes and clothes, you know.. it says "do not eat".. so once the a/c system has been exposed to the air, the dessicant will absorb moisture until its saturated in a matter of hours.

as for the retrofit, it will get as cold a r12 if its done correctly, if everything is switched over, flushed, compressor oil is changed, r134a should be just as good as r12, but at about 1/20th the cost (somewhere around there)
Old 08-02-2002, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: A/C system disconnected...info on recharge (CIVICtypeS)

actually the reciever drier basically has a "sack" of dessicant, same stuff found in new shoes and clothes, you know.. it says "do not eat".. so once the a/c system has been exposed to the air, the dessicant will absorb moisture until its saturated in a matter of hours.
thanks for the correction....I was told the local honda dealer that it's literally a paper filter that dries out if exposed. beh, oh well.