Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A/C Not Working Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Not Working Questions

Son has a 1992 Civic EX. A year ago from last October we had the car in at Honda for A/C service. They converted the system to R134. It ran and cooled fine until last August. Then it started not cooling so well. He is in college and only works part time so he has not had the money to have it checked. I've rebuilt the system in my old 1994 Accord but I had the shop evacuate the system before I did my work, then recharge it after I was done. So I am not totally clueless with these systems, just not very experienced especially on the charging details.

I've gone under the hood of his 1992 Civic and made sure all of the connections were tight hoping the slow leak was just a loose connection. I'm not detecting any visual signs of leaking. The system is so low on refrigerant that the compressor is not engaging. I purchased a can of R134 at the auto store and followed the directions on getting the refrigerant into the system. It took 1 can in without any trouble. This was before I noticed the compressor was not engaging, so the system was technically not on high, it wasn't on at all which ticked me off. After adding the can of refrigerant the compressor still did not kick on. That is where I am now.

Questions.

1.) Do I need to somehow get the compressor to engage before adding more refrigerant and if so how is this correctly done?

2.) If I do not need to have the compressor engaged is it normal to have to add two cans of refrigerant to properly charge a system that was way low on it enough to trip the low pressure switch?

3.) Basically, how do you recharge an R134 system that was very low on refrigerant and the compressor is not engaging??

Thanks!!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A/C Not Working Questions

Great, now no one knows anything about AC systems.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:55 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a thread floating around that details EXACTLY how to recharge your system.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hondaman56
Son has a 1992 Civic EX. A year ago from last October we had the car in at Honda for A/C service. They converted the system to R134. It ran and cooled fine until last August. Then it started not cooling so well. He is in college and only works part time so he has not had the money to have it checked. I've rebuilt the system in my old 1994 Accord but I had the shop evacuate the system before I did my work, then recharge it after I was done. So I am not totally clueless with these systems, just not very experienced especially on the charging details.

I've gone under the hood of his 1992 Civic and made sure all of the connections were tight hoping the slow leak was just a loose connection. I'm not detecting any visual signs of leaking. The system is so low on refrigerant that the compressor is not engaging. I purchased a can of R134 at the auto store and followed the directions on getting the refrigerant into the system. It took 1 can in without any trouble. This was before I noticed the compressor was not engaging, so the system was technically not on high, it wasn't on at all which ticked me off. After adding the can of refrigerant the compressor still did not kick on. That is where I am now.

Questions.

1.) Do I need to somehow get the compressor to engage before adding more refrigerant and if so how is this correctly done? In order for it to kick on you need enough refrigerent, that one can might not of been enough.

2.) If I do not need to have the compressor engaged is it normal to have to add two cans of refrigerant to properly charge a system that was way low on it enough to trip the low pressure switch? See answer above

3.) Basically, how do you recharge an R134 system that was very low on refrigerant and the compressor is not engaging?? you should have a shop evac the system, when you do it at home you allow air to get into the system

Overall you need gauges can check the low and high sides first.

Another thing you might have a leak I would have dye added to the system to see if there are any leaks.
Thanks!!
Old 07-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Before you added refrigerant, were you absolutely sure that the refrigerant was low in the system?

You mention that the compressor clutch fails to engage. Does the condenser fan also fail to run when the A/C button is turned on?

Have you checked 20A hood fuse 35 and 7.5A dash fuse 13?

Do you have a manifold gauge set for R134a?