Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a 96 'Lude Si and 96 Civic DX Coupe... swap maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a 96 'Lude Si and 96 Civic DX Coupe... swap maybe?

So I came across a nice rust free 96 Civic DX coupe, which is rare to find this clean in Minnesota, 5 speed manual with 305k on it and runs great with the d16y7, scored that for 600$.

Then the next day, I noticed a prelude poorly listed in the parts section of craigslist, and scooped that up for 400$. Its a 96 Prelude Si with the H23A1, and Auto 4 speed tranny. Interior is MINT, which is why I wanted it, and it has only a couple month old tires which run 600$ for the set. Virtually rust free also. Thing is, the guy rear ended someone and the front end is smashed, radiator is cracked, yada yada. Engine went untouched from the accident, only 135k on it.

I bought it thinking, since its a lower mile motor, could be a decent swap for the civic? The motor is only around 40lbs heavier after doing some reading, plus if I take off the power steering pump and what not, probably wont be much different.

Now I read that I would either need a H2D kit to use my tranny, which is majorly spendy for what it is. Or buy a H22/H23/F22 cable tranny, which I can buy a mint H22 Vtec Head, and H23 Tranny for 300$ (Tranny needs a new clutch and what not).

Is this swap really worth my time? Never really done a swap before, but I'd say I'm mechanically inclined enough to tackle it over time. Or would I be better off fixing the Prelude and selling it? Mainly needs a hood, radiator, core support, and bumper cover.

My goals are to have around 200-250hp in the civic, fun to drive and still reliable.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bought a 96 'Lude Si and 96 Civic DX Coupe... swap maybe?

its alot of modification ill tell you that.. shift linkage and all is totally different.
your better off selling the complete h23 swap (which you could probably get $1000 for full swap) and buying a b series alot less modifying to do. not to mention sourcing parts for the h23a1 is just on another level...
Old 03-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

By swap your saying sell the motor? Probably make the most money parting out the car then?
Old 03-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I should be able to make around 2500$ if I part it out, with the easier to ship items, looking at whats sold in the past month on eBay and factoring in 10% less so it sells faster.

I'll definitely be keeping the tires and front seats though, those front seats are damn comfy.