Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best way to transport a shell????

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to transport a shell????

I am very serious about buying a crx shell from tx to maryland-- a whopping 1400 miles... this is starting to seem impossible because of the additional cost of towing. I know I don't want to pay a regular towing company that will charge me a lot per mile; if I do that, it's gonna cost me like 600-1000$. I can't afford to cough up that kinda dough. Someone told me that I could drive down and pick it up-- which would cost 40$ for a tow dolly... from what I understand that is like 40$ for a max of 24hour period. Either way, if anyone could fill me in on the big secret, I'd be thrilled to go pick up this car (that doesn't drive) in tx. Thanks a lot.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:22 PM

Default Re: best way to transport a shell???? (92TEGsrSC)

call a u-haul or similar company and ask if you can reserve a tow dolly in tx and take it one way where you live. drive to tx pick up the dolly and the car take them back with you and drop the dolly off when you are done.

if you cannot take the dolly one way you will have to pay for one locally ask if the company will cut you a deal since you will need it for a couple of days
Old 12-19-2003, 07:58 PM

You know you are looking at about a 30 hour drive
Old 12-19-2003, 09:22 PM

a little over 22 hour drive... and that is what mapquest says... so I'd imagine it might take a little less time than that
Old 12-20-2003, 06:14 AM
EPIC TUNING

Default Re: (92TEGsrSC)

$1400 for a crx shell? must have lots of extras....
Old 12-23-2003, 06:23 AM

Default Re: (rewsnaeht)

reserving a hauley from uhaul is most likely your best bet. just make sure you take a vehicle suitable enough to pull the weight
Old 12-23-2003, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (92TEGsrSC)

It probably won't be less than the mapquest estimate...if anything, maybe a little more.

I've driven from Dallas to Oregon and Dallas to southern florida all this past year....

Each time going 70mph+ I've been a few hours behind the estimates, because those don't factor in traffic or gas stops....it just based on an average speed that you won't be able to keep pace with the entire trip.

Call a UHaul down in the city you're picking the car up in and see if you can reserve a tow dolly. Drive down, get the dolly and the dolly, drive it back up. Shouldn't be too expensive at all
Old 12-23-2003, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rewsnaeht)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rewsnaeht &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">$1400 for a crx shell? must have lots of extras....</TD></TR></TABLE>

1400 miles away, not $1400.00
Old 12-23-2003, 10:58 AM

I encountered this very same scenerio last year this time. I won a bid from ebay on a 91 SI shell. I payed 255 dollars and planed to pick it up 2 weeks later. The shell was located in Baton Rouge, LA and I live in the northesat of PA....quite similar drives. I've driven all over this country 100 times, so it was no feat to travel for my next project (hint: the best stuff is always available if you're willing to travel). The car was a complete shell, no suspesion or front end. Rust free!! I took an extra 90 Integra LS set up with me.

I had a good friend that worked for U-haul so the dolley was set. I didn't have a tow vehicle of my own so I rented a 4 dr. Olds Allero V6 from the local Airport. The trick is to get unlimited mileage vehicles... I figured that pulling a 1300 lbs. (guesstimate..) shell would be no problem for the shell. We installed a 100 dollar Kmart universal hitch to the bumber support via some heavy duty bolts drilled into it (shhh don't tell Avis!! )

I recomend finding out if you can do what otheres said and find a one-way dolley, if you go this route, it was quite a bouncey/noisey ride all the way to LA. When we arrived, i hooked the car up with the full suspension and proceeded to go home, (well a brief party stop in New Orleans never hurts...) and had absolutely 0 trouble on the way home....until i crossed the PA border. Now anyone living in the tri-state area is well aware of the horendous road conditions due to the harsh salty winters.. About 9 miles in, a trucker was flashing me from behind...I had noticed nothing more than a slight decrease in speed, but nothing major. I pulled over 2 minutes later because it was eating at me (the flashing) And upon the circling of the car, straps, chains, dolley all ok. Things were great except that the right rear tire had popped and decintegrated into 100's of steel strands, acting as a weed wacker if you will, and totally smashing my rear quarter point as well as recessing the entire quarter panel/wheel well about 1/2 inch. The metal was so shiny silver and hot to the touch. There were steamy patches of ruber all inside the car. the 96 GSR rim that was mounting that weapon of destruction was bent and scrapped to hell......bummer. Oh, and yes, the tires were in great shape too.

I couldn't beleive that I had drove 28 hours straight without stopping both ways for this perfectly straight rust free race shell (tehitian green!!! agghh!) only to have one of PA's finest potholes destroy my car.

Apparently due to the tight little chassis of the beloved Honda CR-X and my secure tie down, the car never flexed/swayed...it just blew and occasionally caught rubber to spin the death wheel. ****. The point of this long (sorry always wanted to tell that story) is that if there is another way, DO IT! I have since repared the car, but it kills me looking back and seeing the damage that should not have been. I have never moved another car (especially my 97 type R new project ) with out a full trailer. It's not worth it man...Down the street is ok I guess, but 1500 miles taught me a big lesson. Again, sorry so long..........and good luck. -hans-&gt;
Old 12-23-2003, 11:01 AM
Trial User

Default Re: best way to transport a shell???? (hondahans)

good ol flat bed man.