Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

b18c timing issue help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18c timing issue help

Hi I have a 93 Civic, with a B18c jdm swap. I got a P72 5 speed ECU for it, New NGK plug wires, NGK Plugs and a brand new Distributor(Original has bad coil).

I'm running into a bogging back firing issue as you can tell from this thread.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/93-civic-ecu-wire-harness-help-gsr-swap-3194127/

The problem I'm having is trying to set the Ignition timing to 16 degrees before TDC.

I let the car warm up to proper temp. 15 mins or more.

I then jump the service plug near passenger side to stop the ECU from correcting the timing.

I hooked up my timing light.

Here is the problem. I have the distributor turned all the way to one side and It's not even close to the middle mark on the crank.

I've recheck the mechanical timing/base timing 3 times and It's dead on all the marks!

I put the crank on TDC and the cams like up perfectly with the markings on the valve cover.

Not sure what to think other than the timing has to be off somewhere but the cams and crank line up according to the marks....
Old 08-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c timing issue help

Bump.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a b18c gsr distributor from a parts car. I rechecked the timing 4 times and it's dead on.

2 problems.

First problem: It takes 20 cranks just to get the car to fire and idle. It struggles to hold and idle but then when the engine warms up it idles fine.

When it's warmed up you can shut the car off, let it sit and it will fire up like there's nothing wrong. I've replaced the IAC valve still nothing.

Second problem.
I used timing light and got it very very close to 15 degrees before TDC, that ebay distributor wouldn't even come close.

I took it for a test drive after timing it, and damn that car ran like a bat out of hell! It had so much power. The 2nd time around it started to hesitate and back fire a little, and the 3rd time it got a little worse.

Not sure what to do. I rechecked the wiring and looked to see if I depined and repined it correctly. Still have solid check engine light and it won't let me pull codes..2 solid check engine lights on 2 ECUs?

I do have a 95 integra gsr parts car, that's missing the motor and tranny. It has the complete engine to ECU wiring harness. I'm thinking about swapping that wiring harness over to my civic. Wouldn't this be plug and play? Would I still have to swap any wires around or is that going to be plug and play?
Old 09-24-2014, 04:25 AM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would suggest using an OEM known good distributor. I don't think anyone has had very good luck with cheaper aftermarket ignition parts on a Honda.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ShinsenTuner
I would suggest using an OEM known good distributor. I don't think anyone has had very good luck with cheaper aftermarket ignition parts on a Honda.
That's the one that I'm using right now is the OEM integra gsr distributor from the parts car. The ignition coil tested good. I agree with you that ebay one was pure crap and wouldn't come close to the 15 degree BTDC mark on the pulley when using a timing light.

I thought I had the issue fixed when I had power.

I'm running open headers right now does that pose a problem or do I need to install the full exhaust or will that not cause the problem I'm having?
Old 09-28-2014, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Should I reset the computer after doing the ignition timing? I really thought I had the problem licked