Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

b16b vtec problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16b vtec problem

i just swaped a b16b into my 93 eg. engine runs mint and has lots of power but 1 thing is weird. after driving with the new engine for a few weeks i noticed that my vtec is not always coming in at the same rpm. usually it comes in at 6000rpm according to the factory tach, other times it varies between 6-7 grand. the vtec will always work well, ie no abnormal engine noises or performance, but i can't figure out why it would change engagement point on its own. i'm running the factory b16b ecu through a jumper harness. all jumper harness connections are ok and no fault codes set. anyone ever experienced this??????????
Old 03-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: b16b vtec problem (Garage_Biitz)

vtec does not always kick in at one specific rpm.

it depends on throttle position, load, speed.

if you floor it wot it will go on at the same time. if you roll into it with moderate throttle it will be different.

thats how the factory programming is ,
Old 03-08-2004, 02:08 PM

Default Re: b16b vtec problem (Fobtions)

i understand how the ecu works to control vtec but this problem is happening at wide open throttle all the time. sometimes it will come on at factory spec of 6000rpm, other times at 6700, sometimes at 6300. i own another vtec honda, an itr and this nevers happens on that car. i actually thought it might have something to do with the quality of fuel i was using because the first time i noticed it, the car had 91 octane in it. i filled up with 94 and it seemed to go away for a while, but now it happening again. thank for your reply though!
Old 03-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Garage_Biitz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i understand how the ecu works to control vtec but this problem is happening at wide open throttle all the time. sometimes it will come on at factory spec of 6000rpm, other times at 6700, sometimes at 6300. i own another vtec honda, an itr and this nevers happens on that car. i actually thought it might have something to do with the quality of fuel i was using because the first time i noticed it, the car had 91 octane in it. i filled up with 94 and it seemed to go away for a while, but now it happening again. thank for your reply though!</TD></TR></TABLE>

it could just be the way the CTR ecu's programming is setup.

Try testing out a reprogrammed P28 & jumper harness (if you have access to one) and see if it does the skitzo vtec crossover problem still occurs. If it doesn't, the CTR ecu is just doing its thing and thats normal.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:12 PM

Default Re: b16b vtec problem (Katman)

cool man! thanks for the advice. a friend of mine is going to burn me a new program for a p28. i hope that it does the trick! car moves good though other wise. just got a jdm 4.785 final drive which i'm going to be putting in soon. hey man whats up with your site? i've been waiting forever to see some new pics of your cars!
Old 03-08-2004, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Garage_Biitz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cool man! thanks for the advice. a friend of mine is going to burn me a new program for a p28. i hope that it does the trick! car moves good though other wise. just got a jdm 4.785 final drive which i'm going to be putting in soon. hey man whats up with your site? i've been waiting forever to see some new pics of your cars! </TD></TR></TABLE>

np..

yeah I'm about to update my site shortly....I've been trying to come up with a nifty flash photo gallery and I'm just about done with it. I'll be re-uploading images soon
Old 03-13-2004, 12:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Garage_Biitz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just swaped a b16b into my 93 eg. engine runs mint and has lots of power but 1 thing is weird. after driving with the new engine for a few weeks i noticed that my vtec is not always coming in at the same rpm. usually it comes in at 6000rpm according to the factory tach, other times it varies between 6-7 grand. the vtec will always work well, ie no abnormal engine noises or performance, but i can't figure out why it would change engagement point on its own. i'm running the factory b16b ecu through a jumper harness. all jumper harness connections are ok and no fault codes set. anyone ever experienced this??????????</TD></TR></TABLE>

also having the same problem
does it redline differenet in gears also like mine???
Old 03-13-2004, 03:13 PM

Default Re: b16b vtec problem (bossman032)

solvoed my problem. i switched to a different jumper harness and the vtec has been godd ever since. no problems with redline though, sorry.