Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

b16 swap: clutch won't engage

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16 swap: clutch won't engage

searched and found a few problems very similar to mine but no direct answer. i just finished my 1st gen JDM b16 swap into my del sol. Got it running, fixed all the leaks, had everything ready to go and tried to put it in gear to back it out of the garage and it wouldn't go...it would run through all of the gears while the car was NOT on/started but not while the engine is running. While the engine is running, you can rev it up and hear a whizzing sound from the transmission (i'm assuming its the flywheel spinning?) but the car doesn't move. I bled the system thoroughly and had a decent pedal feel afterwards. The pedal did feel a little odd compared to stock, but i thought nothing of it.

i have read that it could possibly be my pressure plate, or possibly the wrong clutch kit? i bought a standard clutch kit from Advance Auto Parts (till i can get some money for ACT) for a 91 Integra. Is this the wrong clutch for my b16 (i was told they were compatible)? Could I have put something in wrong (bearing, plate, etc?)? Could i have possibly messed up on the hydro-cable conversion (hasport kit)? the slave cylinder definitely pushes the shift lever/arm up a substantial amount. i am lost here...

any help would be greatly appreciated because i am coming BACK into town from school next weekend for 3 days to finish this and if i don't fix it i have to buy another $200 plane ticket AND have no car this quarter
Old 01-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: b16 swap: clutch won't engage (nomotorsol)

Sounds to me like the engagement fork and/or throw out bearing is off.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: b16 swap: clutch won't engage (VTECVillain)

since i am incredibly uneducated about transmissions and unprepared for a problem of this nature...how would i go about fixing this? I can drop the transmission out and have it on the ground no problem (obviously) but once i do that, what then? what do i look for? i remember my friend was unsure about the fork when he put it back in so maybe he put it in wrong? like i said, i have no idea about transmissions. would i need to possibly order any parts for this? if so, that's no problem i just have to order them sometime incredibly soon because i am flying back in Friday and i have to leave again by Monday at 7 am to make it to my 6:00pm class. I gotta have all of this set up and ready to just fix so i can just throw it back in there and pray it works haha.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only reason you'd need a part is if something is damaged or broken. Chances are the clutch fork came out of alignment or the throw out bearing is off. Pull off the rubber seal around the slave cylinder and look inside to see if the fork or bearing is out of alignment or off place.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Re: b16 swap: clutch won't engage (VTECVillain)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECVillain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pull off the rubber seal around the slave cylinder and look inside to see if the fork or bearing is out of alignment or off place.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a cable y1 tranny with the hasport conversion kit so i can't really see inside because of the shift arm/lever (don't know the correct term for that). i do know what the fork and the throwout bearing is though, so that's a start. i was worried it was the clutch kit. would you happen to have any pics/diagrams (helms maybe) of the assembly of the fork and bearing in the tranny?

i am worried i will take it off and not know what is wrong/what to do
Old 01-03-2005, 12:03 AM

morning bump before i get on a plane back to GA...

hope someone can shed some light on my problem by the time i check this later tonight
Old 01-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try putting it in gear and then starting it up, then let the clutch out and see what happens, just make sure there isnt anything in front or behind you, depending on which way you go, just incase when it starts it takes off. that way you know if the clutch is engaging, or if it is a transmission problem.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: b16 swap: clutch won't engage (B16Civic93)

i did that and let out the clutch and nothing happened. I could hear the flywheel spinning (atleast I assume that's what was making the whizzing noise).

i'm hoping its just a fork/bearing because that wouldn't be bad at all. just a pain in the *** taking out the transmission again and putting it back in with only 1 person.